Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Got NWN2 for free

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

User was nabbed fit

With my 8800 GT. Installed, patched up, and played up to the point where I need to head to Neverwinter. Not bad so far, except for the damn camera controls. It's no masterpiece, but I'm certainly having some fun, and that's all that matters right now.

But I was wondering if there are any essential "mods" that I should be playing with? I see something about modules (kind of like mini expansions?), but I think those are a little different. I mean mods in the more traditional sense (i.e. not necessarily new content, but modifications to gameplay).

I might get MotB now that it looks like I'm more or less enjoying NWN2 so far (never played it before, just heard talk of it on the forums), since MotB is supposed to be even better in terms of real RPG choices.

Deleted member 7219

MotB is a huge improvement on the OC in terms of roleplaying.

But the OC is still worth a playthrough, however.

Starwars

Arcane
You might wanna look around on the NWVault yourself for various additions or tweaks.

I don't have the link, but one of the more popular mods is one called Tony K's AI mod. This basically makes the AI a lot better.
One I've also seen mentioned (though haven't tried it myself yet) here on the Codex is a mod that limits resting, making the game more difficult.

Personally I didn't like Act 1, and there were a few dungeons which I thought were boring as shit (you will run into them fairly soon). Once I cleared Act 1, I found the game to be enjoyable, though not not excellent.

When you finish the OC and MotB, you might wanna check into those modules you mention. So far, no really good ones have been released (there were a few extremely nice ones for NWN1) for NWN2, but some of them are good to kill a few hours with it if you're feeling bored. And hey, it's free.

NiM82

Prophet
It's not a gameplay mod, but I found xUI to be damn useful. It vastly improves the quick bars and improved the UI quite a bit generally.

fastpunk

Arbiter
ViolentOpposition said:
I might get MotB now that it looks like I'm more or less enjoying NWN2 so far (never played it before, just heard talk of it on the forums), since MotB is supposed to be even better in terms of real RPG choices.

You might? No. You should! The OC was fairly entertaining but MotB is a masterpiece. It sounds crazy considering that MotB is an expansion but the new setting did wonders for it. If you like games like PS:T, MotB is a must-buy.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Not to hijack, but does anyone know of any proper module adventures out and about? I can't seem to find anything but persistent worlds.

Texas Red

Whiner
Yeah, you might have some fun with it. Though I didnt finish it not because of all of the craptastic aspects everyone knows about(such as retarded amounts of trivial, filler combat), but actually for a completely different reason. By the end you had to constantly juggle your companions. I was annoyed at having to level up somebody with whom I played only very little way back in the beginning of the game. You also had to choose from hordes of epic loot at merchants who inconviniently were placed at completely different places. I dunno mang, but in an RPG I want to play with *my* character.

In every forum I visit usually the majority agrees that massive amounts of epic loot is annoying. Why cant the devs understand that it feels much better when you find a new gun, much more powerful than your older, after a long period of time, instead of constantly switching through magical swords with incosenquential differences?

Solohk

Scholar
I purchased NWN2 way back when and lost interest in it. I've decided that I'm going to eventually buy MotB so I thought I'd try and run through the OC in preperation.

I don't know if I can do it. I might have to finally write off the OC and just skip to MotB.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Solohk said:
I purchased NWN2 way back when and lost interest in it. I've decided that I'm going to eventually buy MotB so I thought I'd try and run through the OC in preperation.

I don't know if I can do it. I might have to finally write off the OC and just skip to MotB.

Same here. I played until reaching Neverwinter or so and was bored to tears. Do you miss much for skipping the OC, in terms of story and such like? Is there anything worth not skipping?

Starwars

Arcane
I think you get a journal entry at the start of MotB that describes the events of NWN2 (not 100% sure).

Like I said, I found Act 2 and 3 to be much better than Act 1. But they're still not excellent, and many people around here find the entire game to be shit. So mileage will vary.

If you can't force your way through, then don't push it. It doesn't make a complete turn to awesome, it gets better but not fantastic.

AZ

Liturgist
The oc is better than NWN1 but still boring for me.

roshan

Arcane
I just tried to replay the OC. Simply couldnt force myself through it. Got to the second town, and just looking at it bored the fuck out of me, and remembering the tons of challengeless filler combat that I would soon have to endure filled me with dread. Then the thought of some of the completely one dimensional, irritating, boring NPCs that would be forced into my party inspired feelings of disgust and loathing.

I wouldnt class the NWN2 OC as being anything better than garbage, and Im glad that the one responsible for it isnt with Obsidian anymore. I suggest that everyone spare themselves the misfortune of playing NWN2 and skip directly to MOTB.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
roshan said:
I just tried to replay the OC. Simply couldnt force myself through it. Got to the second town, and just looking at it bored the fuck out of me, and remembering the tons of challengeless filler combat that I would soon have to endure filled me with dread. Then the thought of some of the completely one dimensional, irritating, boring NPCs that would be forced into my party inspired feelings of disgust and loathing.

It's like you read my mind. I hated pretty much all the joinable NPCs, not least of all Neeshka with her utterly obnoxious voice. The rest were just bland.

I'll just skip it and go straight to MotB then.

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
There's cool stuff in the NWN2 OC that makes it worth a single playthrough imho, but the real reason to buy it is to play MotB which is a classic and should be a candidate for game of the year contests (xpacs are probably DQ'd or something lame).

Helton

Arcane
The Walkin' Dude said:
Yeah, you might have some fun with it. Though I didnt finish it not because of all of the craptastic aspects everyone knows about(such as retarded amounts of trivial, filler combat), but actually for a completely different reason. By the end you had to constantly juggle your companions. I was annoyed at having to level up somebody with whom I played only very little way back in the beginning of the game. You also had to choose from hordes of epic loot at merchants who inconviniently were placed at completely different places. I dunno mang, but in an RPG I want to play with *my* character.

In every forum I visit usually the majority agrees that massive amounts of epic loot is annoying. Why cant the devs understand that it feels much better when you find a new gun, much more powerful than your older, after a long period of time, instead of constantly switching through magical swords with incosenquential differences?

Didn't you say NWN2 OC was a must-play for all RPG fans? Or was that someone else?

roshan

Arcane
I found four good things in the OC: phat lewt, a few cool NPCs, the keep and the trial.

But three of the four are ruined by crappy design issues - the phat lewt comes with boring hack and slash combat, you cant have the cool NPCs you want to adventure with in your party because slots are taken up by sucky ones, the trial sucks even if you win it because the result is the same whether you win or lose.

Add to that the fact that the campaign is more linear than a stick up your ass (many areas basically consist of a single line that you have to follow) and has virtually no C&C, and the story/characters/atmosphere/music are so immature and cliche that it feels like a fairy tale for children, and fails to even capture the medieval fantasy feel of RPGs like Baldur's Gate.

NWN2 is pretty much the most dumbed down game I've ever played.

User was nabbed fit

I haven't played anything with phat l00t since Diablo II, so I've got to give this a go, because I admit I do like a bit of phat loot. :oops:

Though I prefer the more refined games like Fallout, I don't mind some mindless action from time to time either. Hopefully the action itself won't be as boring as some people so far are saying it is.

ViolentOpposition said:
I haven't played anything with phat l00t since Diablo II, so I've got to give this a go, because I admit I do like a bit of phat loot. :oops:

You'll love MotB.
I found 1000 gold in a barrel in the middle of the street.

roshan

Arcane
Admiral jimbob said:
ViolentOpposition said:

You'll love MotB.
I found 1000 gold in a barrel in the middle of the street.

MOTB sucked lootwise, if youve already played through the campaign. Most of the best items in MOTB were already in the OC, such as Boots of the Sun Soul +5, and Cloak of Fortification +5 (the one with saves and AC bonus).

I've seen a lot of criticism about MOTB being monty haul - makes me suspect that these guys haven't been through the official campaign.

Violent Opposition said:
I haven't played anything with phat l00t since Diablo II, so I've got to give this a go, because I admit I do like a bit of phat loot.

Though I prefer the more refined games like Fallout, I don't mind some mindless action from time to time either. Hopefully the action itself won't be as boring as some people so far are saying it is.

Personally, I dont get why people dont like loot. Although I'd mind it in a game like Fallout, where atmosphere is all important, fanatsy games are a different story, as virtually everything in them requires the suspension of disbelief anyway, so I don't see how it detracts from the overall experience.

Im more concerned about maintaining the integrity of the setting and not mixing together elements that really shouldn't be combined - like having katanas and kukris in a medieval Europe based setting.

I've played the game and got some enjoyment out of it. While certainly nothing groundbreaking by any means, and sometimes a bit black and white, as well as forced options, it offered me enough variety overall to at least keep some interest. It was allot better than NWN the first and the whole "create your own items" spiel was an interesting addition.

I'm playing The Witcher now so NWN is out of the picture. :wink:

aboyd

Liturgist
NiM82 said:
It's not a gameplay mod, but I found xUI to be damn useful. It vastly improves the quick bars and improved the UI quite a bit generally.
Seconded.

fastpunk

Arbiter
aboyd said:
NiM82 said:
Seconded.

Gotta agree with you guys. It's very useful, specially the separated command bar.

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
I've bought MotB, updated the game with the internet patcher, sorted out all the settings in-game, but I don't get any combat music during the fight at West Harbor in the original campaign? Anyone else have a similiar problem, or know if they've many changes to the original campaign with MotB? Thanks.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Ack. Buying NWN2 just to play an expansion...?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom