Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred Troubleshooting Tips

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Ascaron Entertainment; Sacred

<a href="http://www.ascaron-net.com">Ascaron Entertainment</a> has <a href="http://forum.sacredeng.ascaron-net.com/showthread.php?s=ee433b526da282574f7b4b9336f20513&threadid=1223">posted a message</a> on the official Sacred forum which contains extensive troubleshooting tips for optimizing your experience in Sacred. It even contains details on the issues pertaining to the pesky copy protection.
<br>
<blockquote>Disable CDR copying programs such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%. These can interfere with the copy protection used by Sacred. If the problem you are having persists, try completely uninstalling them. These programs can cause the copy protection to trigger even if there is still a few entries in the registry for them. Ask on the official forum for help in removing those registry entries, as it can be quite tricky.</blockquote>
<br>
For you doubters, I told you it wasn't a resident memory conflict. VOB's copy protection mechanism actively checks for the presence of CD Writing software on your hard drive.

dagamer667

Liturgist
Yeah, microsoft should do the same. Blacklist the competition's software for their whining about MS being anticompetitive!

Malak

Liturgist
The software is illegal, and for good reasons. That's why Ascaron took that approach.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Malak said:
In the country this game originated in.
Sorry? You're saying that owning e.g. Alcohol 120% or Nero is prohibited in Germany? That's one of the stupidiest things I heard this week.

Anonymous

I use Daemon Tools, to the maximum security prison I go.

Malak

Liturgist
The law, that is now in effect in five member states (Germany, Austria, Greece, Denmark and Italy) makes it illegal to distribute (even for free), sell, manufacture, develope or advertise tools or software utilities that allow circumventing copy protections. This applies to all copy protection mechanisms, including cracking the CSS that's found on most DVD-Video discs, circumventing audio CD copy protections, etc.

And now you know, and knowing's half the battle.

Elwro

Arcane
That's bs imo. Give a link next time. Are you trying to tell me that every software company has to write its own cd-burner? It follows from the text you've quoted. Some of the protections are so lame that even the most simple cd copying software is able to circumvent it.

Malak

Liturgist
Elwro said:
That's bs imo. Give a link next time. Are you trying to tell me that every software company has to write its own cd-burner? It follows from the text you've quoted. Some of the protections are so lame that even the most simple cd copying software is able to circumvent it.

Call it bs all you want, it's the law there, and that is the official from the horse's mouth reason why the CP acts like that in Sacred. You want a link? Go find it yourself. Your willingness to believe me doesn't make it something I made up out of thin air.

And no, it doesn't mean publishers are in trouble, that'd ridiculous. Read the quote again. No where does it say burning CD's is illegal. It's targetting software that defeats copy protection. So if the software has that ability, it's illegal.

triCritical

Erudite
Whether or not its illegal or not is a moot point. The problem is that it seems to affect normal people who bought the game, and the people who cracked it, or pirated it are also still playing the game. Publishers have got to realize that John Doe does not give a rats ass, whether or not, a game gets cracked by someone else, and are not likely to sympathize with the publishers CD protection scheme that is making their life miserable.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Malak said:
The law, that is now in effect in five member states (Germany, Austria, Greece, Denmark and Italy) makes it illegal to distribute (even for free), sell, manufacture, develope or advertise tools or software utilities that allow circumventing copy protections. This applies to all copy protection mechanisms, including cracking the CSS that's found on most DVD-Video discs, circumventing audio CD copy protections, etc.

And now you know, and knowing's half the battle.

Moron, your bus is leaving...

Show me where in that quote it says OWNing the software is illegal...

Malak

Liturgist
Hay thanks for the flames, it's a great way to get a response. Name calling aside...

I'm not undereducated, nor am I making anything up. Ascaron chose the policy, regardless if the publisher is the one installing the CP or not. The policy is, the software is illegal in their country, and the reason it's illegal is the reason they want the CP in it. They don't want their stuff stolen. That isn't unreasonable and makes sense.

You can piss and moan about it all you want, but my advise is just don't buy the game if you don't like it. There is no law or moral truth that says what they are doing with the CP is wrong, there is no arguement that can be held against them. They have the right to do this, whether you like it or not.

Malak

Liturgist
triCritical said:
Whether or not its illegal or not is a moot point. The problem is that it seems to affect normal people who bought the game, and the people who cracked it, or pirated it are also still playing the game.

Having been through many of the cases, it seems like many people just want to burn the CP at the stake, even though the CP isn't the one causing the problems. The "normal" people having issues are often helped and a solution is found. The witch-hunters simply attack, never ask for help, and never will realize the problem is them, not the CP. Yes, some people have already circumvented the CP and even play pirated versions. But they won't be playing online, so they don't matter. Anyone who likes the game will more than likely purchase it to play online, that's how these games make their money. So the pirated versions are moot.

If people tried harder to work WITH ascaron instead of against, things could be accomplished faster. If the CP was really broken and stopping clean people, then why are so many people playing the game without a single problem, and people cracking it and not having issues? It's not the CP.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Having been through many of the cases, it seems like many people just want to burn the CP at the stake, even though the CP isn't the one causing the problems.

Then what is causing it ? The devil ?

The "normal" people having issues are often helped and a solution is found.

Excuse me ? Having nero in order to make CD is not normal now ? Who are you that will tell me what i can and cannot do with my pc ?

The witch-hunters simply attack, never ask for help, and never will realize the problem is them, not the CP.

witch-hunters ? Excuse me . Can you read English ?

Disable CDR copying programs such as Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%. These can interfere with the copy protection used by Sacred. If the problem you are having persists, try completely uninstalling them. These programs can cause the copy protection to trigger even if there is still a few entries in the registry for them. Ask on the official forum for help in removing those registry entries, as it can be quite tricky.

This people freely admit it .Do you know what registry is ? These people want to stop you from using your property the way you want.

If people tried harder to work WITH ascaron instead of against, things could be accomplished faster. If the CP was really broken and stopping clean people, then why are so many people playing the game without a single problem, and people cracking it and not having issues? It's not the CP.

So what you are saying is that we should leave ascaron to do whatever they want with our property and that we should censor ourshelves and not voice our opinion in a message board ?

Make no mistake. What Ascaron is doing right now is a gross violation of people rights. Nothing more nothing less.

And let me ask you one question.

What about them blacklisting all filesharing programs them ?
Or what about them blacklisting fixed exe no cd that are used in other games from same publisher ?
What about them searching for browser cookies to see what kind of sites you visit ? ( like game copy whatever ?)

If they find Kazaa in your registry then well you are obviously a pirate .
Game will not start. Same with bitttorent , and all other clients.

Will you accept that ? Because it is the next logical step for them.

And after that what about their game checking the registry for lots of mp3 and or expensive programs that quite obviously you have not buyed ?

Like photoshop.
Sorry our software (game client) has scanned your system. We have found a reg key for photoshop and also photoshop cd key.However we have contacted abode server and it seems from the photoshop key that your copy of photoshop is pirated.

We have sent a letter to the BSA and they will contact you for auditing soon.
Also our game will not run unless you uninstall your illegal copy of that program.

When you do so then and only then you deserve tech help for our game.

With kind regards. Our tech support legal team.

or

Sorry our software (game client) has scanned your system. We have found over 500 mp3 in your system.Our analysis of the file size and hash has determined that most of those mp3 are copies of pirated mp3 that you have probably downloaded through illegal means.

We have sent a letter to the RIIA and they will contact you for a settlement in the order of 20 $ per illegal song soon or you can contest this in court . The law says that up to $5000 per illegal mp3 for a grand total of 2.5 million usa dollars is the maximum fine that you can pay.

Also our game will not run unless you delete the illegal copies of the mp3 from your system.

When you do so then and only then you deserve tech help for our game.

With kind regards. Our tech support legal team.

Seven

Erudite
Yippee, I for one look forward to this new wave of no civil rights. :roll:

Once I buy a game it's mine, and I'll do damn well whatever I want with it. Whether it be making a back-up copy of it or using it as a coaster. End of discussion; the harder they try to controls things the more people will resist.

axel

Liturgist
Malak said:
[...]You want a link? Go find it yourself. Your willingness to believe me doesn't make it something I made up out of thin air.[...]

Welcome to internet version 2 sir, before you enter we'd like you make sure you know where the fire exit nearest you is located at and we'd also appreciate it if you'd read the user manual throughly. Pay careful attention to index 3 section 27e states all url's required for proof of outragous claims must be provided by the person or persons making said claim or said person or persons must admit their claim to be pure bullshit and pulled out of their ass.

We here at Internet Inc. hope you enjoy your stay. Take care now.

Psilon

Erudite
Here's another version of Chris's argument.

Laws vary pretty heavily between nations. That's one of the reasons we have the term "flag of convenience." German law prohibits selling Nazi imagery. So, just because it's illegal in Germany, Malak would apparently support German games refusing to load if Return to Castle Wolfenstein is installed on the system.

Malak

Liturgist
Don't pretend to know what I think nor believe.

It's not an attack on civil rights, cry and whine all you want about it. They didn't tell you what to do on your machine, they told you you can't use their software in conjuction with this other software. It is still your right to choose one or the other. They don't force you to do anything, so your rights are not harmed.

Elwro

Arcane
Malak said:
[. Read the quote again. No where does it say burning CD's is illegal. It's targetting software that defeats copy protection. So if the software has that ability, it's illegal.
Read what I wrote again. EVERY software capable of copying CDs is able to defeat some copy protection. Therefore, every CD burning software is illegal, by your mysterious quote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom