Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shane Plays - LPs and Interviews

sstacks

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta #8 - Old Sycamore

Kobolds like to trap stuff and Linzi, frankly, may be perky but she kinda sucks at disarming them. Plummeting to the Old Sycamore Depths for fun and profit. Giant spiders. Skeletons. More giant spiders. Shedding weight isn't easy. Why are we getting our butts kicked so much? Oh yeah, we're level 2.

sstacks

Arcane
Jeremy Crawford (D&D Lead Rules Designer & Managing Editor) & Kate Welch (D&D Designer & member of Acquisitions, Inc. “C Team”) talk Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! Get the scoop on this new D&D 5E multiversal lore & monsters resource! What is the Blood War? Plus: What does a D&D designer do? Who is Mordenkainen, and who created him? What character levels tend to provide the most player satisfaction? SPECIAL BONUS: What is Kate's favorite monster from the book, and what stinks about it???

sstacks

Arcane
ATOM RPG Early Access #2 - Otradnoye

Exploring Otradnoye (the starting village in the game) while picking up rookie quests and a nice drunken hallucination along the way. First look at the barter system and combat. Mushrooms seem a popular theme. Rubles rule, bottle caps drool.

sstacks

Arcane
ATOM RPG Early Access #3 - Otradnoye

We fight rats and get a job to root out a rat of a different kind. Reading books can make you streetwise. Mutant spiders, wasps and ants make good fishbait once you know how. I fixed your water pump but I'm not an altruist, Comrade Pops.

sstacks

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta #9 - Old Sycamore

Hey Scoobs, let's leave the Old Sycamore Depths and head up to the Caves (depths are always worse than caves as taught in Dungeon Delving 101, natch). More fun with giant spiders and traps, plus an audience with the kobold chieftain (where we might have told a lie when agreeing to kill the mite queen). Gee, it sure would be sweet to take a rest. Having lots of people on ranged attack is nice. We pick up another companion who seems cool, maybe a little too cool. Right now its the more the merrier, so along she comes.

sstacks

Arcane
Bloodlust 2: Nemesis

Shane sinks his teeth into vampiric action dungeon crawler Bloodlust 2: Nemesis. Did he have fun stalking the night, and was he hunter or hunted (or both)? Watch and find out! This video includes character creation and over an hour of initial gameplay.

Bloodlust 2: Nemesis is a "Hack 'n Slash - Dungeon Crawling - Action RPG" experience from WRF Studios that will allow players to explore the dark underworld of a forgotten society of Vampires and their disciplines, all while trying to solve the secrets to their bloodline's scientifically enhanced monstrous power.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Interesting. I played a bit of the first Bloodlust, it was a good "one-man Bloodlines" for the first few hours, then it began those endless random dungeons and I just lost all interest... sadly, seems like they focused even more on the random dungeons this time. :/

sstacks

Arcane
Shane checks out the demo for Final Equinox: The Arrival, a sci-fi game with turn-based ship combat and RPG elements.

From developer Frozen Realms: Final Equinox: The Arrival is a turn-based spaceship role-playing game. You are an admiral of a newly formed fleet stationed in the Outer Worlds, a place overrun by raiders, rebels, and marauders. They fight against you with tactics you have never trained for. Final Equinox puts you in the driver’s seat and allows you to make decisions that will shape the world around you.

sstacks

Arcane
Pathfinder: Kingmaker Beta #10 - Old Sycamore

We wave goodbye to the kobolds and head over to visit with the mites. Other than a few combats, this video is in all honesty a painful and somewhat confusing series of rest attempts as Shane tries to suss out the intricacies of the game's resting system.

sstacks

Arcane
If you weren't aware, Matt Barton AKA Matt Chat has these coins for his Patreon supporters once they hit $100 in total support. Pretty nifty.

DAmpdTQ.jpg

vvlBMQl

sstacks

Arcane
I have this email sitting in my inbox and all I can do is look at my to do list for the rest of the month and laugh and laugh, irony and pain filling the room:

"The Bard's Tale IV - Your Game Key is Ready!"

sstacks

Arcane
Into the Underdark! First stop: the Forlorn Cliffs and associated puzzling magic portals as we search for Tezzarea's camp. Those quasits were tougher than we expected. Umber hulks, hook horrors, and *oops* we pulled on Fletcher a just a tad too hard.

sstacks

Arcane
Every now and then I'll post a non-CRPG related show if it has a strong connection to CRPGs and I think this community would enjoy listening. Given D&D and tabletop RPGs' direct lineage to CRPGs. I think this one defintely qualifies ;)

Secrets of Blackmoor: The True History of Dungeons & Dragons - Shane Plays Podcast Extra

Accidental gaming historian M. Griffith ("Griff") discusses the Secrets of Blackmoor documentary, a five year project involving 10 cities, 200 hours of interviews, and 20,000 photos and documents. Dungeons & Dragons was famously co-created by Dave Arneson & Gary Gygax, but what part did Arneson and his gaming group play in the creation of tabletop role playing itself? There's more to the story than you know!

Podcast:
https://shaneplays.com/secrets-of-blackmoor-the-true-history-of-dungeons-and-dragons/

YouTube (same as podcast, just on YT for convenience):

TOPICS COVERED include but are not limited to:

• This documentary is NOT Dave Arneson vs. Gary Gygax. It’s the story of what happened before they met with Arneson and his gaming group.

• The vital role of Dave Arneson (and his gaming group) in the creation of D&D / fantasy roleplaying

• Preconceptions, misconceptions and headcanon

• Is it Gee-gax or Gy-gax?

• Difference in difficulty / sense of accomplishment between old school and new school tabletop RPGs

• The “Strategos Connection”: Strategos military training wargame book from 1880 and its connection to Dave Arneson’s gaming group

• David Wesley’s Braunstein style miniatures wargaming (pre-Blackmoor proto fantasy roleplaying)

• How direct is the connection between Chainmail and Dungeons & Dragons?

• Is a sapper tunnel a proto-dungeon?

• David McGary’s Dungeon! Boardgame

• Tonisborg, the oldest still existing dungeon map set (publicly known, anyway)

• Griff’s desired death rate percentage per session as DM

• Is it possible to define what a roleplaying game is?

• Hipster D&D

• Where did the Tolkien influence on Dungeons & Dragons come from?

• Would RPGs have exploded into pop culture without Gary Gygax / TSR?

• What types of cons do Shane and Griff prefer?

sstacks

Arcane
The cover for Dungeons and Desktops: The History of Computer Role-Playing Games 2nd Edition is finalized!

Releases May 12, 2019. Amazon is taking pre-orders:
https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Desktops-History-Computer-Role-Playing/dp/1138574643/

D&D2E has updated entries to bring book current, revised / corrected / updated content for previous entries, and every screenshot is now color.

Includes a foreword written by the one and only Chris Avellone!

2gGXY7y.png

WMCcW4G.png

raqBmbl.png

sstacks

Arcane
Here's a show Matt Barton and I recently did to both help promote the Dungeons & Desktops book and just have some fun talking CRPGs.

We discuss our top 3 favorite CRPGs, our biggest CRPG disappointments, and our most anticipated upcoming CRPGs :)

First 20 minutes or so discuss the new book, then there is some Game of Thrones chat with my board op, then we dive into our Top 3 favorite CRPGS around the 28 minute mark. Rest of the show from that point is all CRPG discussion.

Podcast via my website:
https://shaneplays.com/computer-role-playing-games-crpg-podcast-matt-barton/

Audio via Libsyn:

YouTube version: (just audio)

sstacks

Arcane

Here's 45 minutes of the Solasta pre-alpha demo. Part 2 will likely complete it.

A new new turn-based tactical CRPG from Tactical Adventures based on the D&D Fifth Edition rules via the Open Gaming License. This is not the D&D IP and lore, but an implementation of the 5E game mechanics. And so far it's really impressive.

From their Kickstarter page:

Created and written by lifelong fans of Pen & Paper RPGs, Solasta: Crown of the Magister is a Turn-Based Tactical cRPG heavily influenced by Tabletop RPGs.

An Epic Team Adventure - Create your very own party of adventurers in the classic tabletop RPG tradition with our Character Creation Tool. Breathe life into your heroes, and see their personalities reflected in their dialogue.

Discover a Mysterious & Dynamic World - Delve into long forgotten dungeons to unearth ancient artifacts, but be very aware of light and darkness. Many dangers hide in the dark, but a light can attract monsters.

Prepare to Think in Three Dimensions - The dungeons in Solasta are more than flat game-boards. Climb, jump, or fly around obstacles. Evade or surprise foes from above or below. Watch out, though - the monsters are also thinking vertically.

True to Tabletop - Solasta: Crown of the Magister brings back the thrill, tactics, and deep storytelling of tabletop games. As you play, you'll feel yourself reaching for your dice and miniatures. Roll for initiative!

A Team of Passionate Veterans - Led by Mathieu Girard, co-founder of Amplitude Studios (Endless Space...), Tactical Adventures is a small studio of experienced developers with many projects under their belts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom