Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game world felt most "alive" ?

Beowulf

Arcane
I'm equating alive with believable or good atmosphere.Recent games I thought had this even if poppamole

Metro 2033/lastlight universe which is more or less a corridor shooter does however have a very intimate well done world which I enjoy.

That's a strange definition. Metro games had good atmosphere when you were alone in the tunnels, thanks to great audio-visual layer.

But they were extremely linear, and I felt like they were one of the games that was on the opposite spectrum of having an alive world..
Every group scene felt like a static diorama, or an animatronic fair showcase. If you stood in one place just for a moment, you could see how artificial everything was, with mannequins repeating the same behavior over and over.
And you never came back to the same areas, and that added to the feeling that nothing ever changes.
For me the world felt really empty, like a well painted shell.

I'd say that M&B had the most alive world for me, mostly because you could take part in some of the events, or not - but something was happening nonetheless, and you could see the logic of why it was happening.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom