Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC gamer and Gamespot are plainly retarded or trolling gamers?

Funposter

Arcane
so you're saying dragon quest will remain successful enough to put out sequels while beamdog 2.0 releases pillars of eternity 2 enhanced edition and teases poe3 but just adds in trannies and ports the first game to android instead?

Generic-Giant-Spider

so you're saying dragon quest will remain successful enough to put out sequels while beamdog 2.0 releases kingdom come deliverance enhanced edition and teases kcd2 but just adds in trannies and ports the first game to android instead?

I have seen the timelines and all of them lead to Beamdog inheriting the RPG industry. This is all part of, what they call, "Project Overkill." No relation to Project Overkill for the Playstation 1.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
First PC gamer voted rpg of the year banal, bland, boring Pillars of Eternity 2, which is maybe OK (it has some fans, one of a kind).

But now Gamespot tells that Dragon Quest XI: Echoes Of An Elusive Age is best rpg. Who heard of this shit, seriously?

Opinions?

Grampy_bone's law: people who criticize JRPGs the most have played them the least.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Love to see all the butthurt Obsidian-hating-fags who just can't accept that Deadfire was the one true CRPG GOTY this year...

It was. It was much, much better than Bugmaker. Much better than Gaydom come. Or the Dragon Fags XI. Deal with it!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Bethesda released game in 2018 and it's not GOTY RPG... What timeline is this?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I am still somewhat perplexed that Fallout 76 has been received so poorly. I mean, obviously it's terrible, but I figured most people would eat it up regardless.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I am still somewhat perplexed that Fallout 76 has been received so poorly. I mean, obviously it's terrible, but I figured most people would eat it up regardless.

The main reason is its poor performance i think. On consoles it runs like total shit,often dipping to 10fps or worse. On PC it is not much better, you need a beast to run it at 60fps consistently. And this takes a toll on the enjoyabilty of the fps mechanics for the average joe, the game just does not "feel right", to play.

I think this is one of the reasons AAA games have lost their charm this gen, they have become too terribly optimized and can't hold a proper and consistent framerate anymore. And this bugs most people even if they don't realize it.There is a reason Call of Duty still sells like hotcakes, it is consistent 60fps bliss even on consoles...

I mean, this is one of the reasons Fallout 4 was hated by many as well. Fallout 3 and New Vegas had a great framerate even on modest hardware, but Fallout 4 ran like total shit at launch. For some people, it was never fixed.

FPS games in particular, without 60fps+, are tiring to play for long sessions and do not provide enjoyable twitchy gunplay. People cannot easily tell the difference and attribute it to other factors, but it is mostly just framerate.

I believe that if Fallout 76 had consistent 60fps on consoles and no bugs, it would still sell like hotcakes and would have enjoyed a better reception. After all, most people complain about framerates and bugs on youtube, not really lack of RPG mechanics.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah, FPS does matter to a lot of the typical customer. I won't lie, not until recently when I made the effort to put together an actual good PC did I ever give a shit about 60 FPS. I was happy with 30 and played a lot of games from back in the day when they were demanding on like... 15 FPS if I had to guess it. The only games I ever cared about having peak performance on were Quake 3 and some RTS titles, but RPGs and single player I wasn't too worried about.

I think though with F76 a lot of it was this general frustration. Even if you looked at it in the casual fan's perspective, the game comes off as rushed out. The bugs and performance issues really compound this, but there's this overall lack of direction to it. I don't know how those survival type games like Rust go since I never found them captivating to try, but even when it comes to the "survival, build your own base" portion it's sloppily put together and there's no feeling of a player having a personal stake in the world. If we still lived in the era, it'd probably be a semi-decent weekend rental for the morbidly curious.

Funposter

Arcane
I believe that if Fallout 76 had consistent 60fps on consoles and no bugs, it would still sell like hotcakes and would have enjoyed a better reception
I'm sure this has contributed, but you have to remember that Fallout 4 literally dropped to 0 frames per second on the Xbox One in Diamond City. The game moved from slideshow to photograph.

More important, is that the game was so stripped down even compared to modern Bethesda games, that the consumer base decided they'd had enough.

Big Wrangle

Ah yes, ranting about mainstream game sites being bad for the upmenth time
PC gamer and Gamespot are plainly retarded or trolling gamers - Infinity War 5 Chapter 2; Prosper in the House - Gamers Rise Up Edition

Duraframe300

Arcane

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Yeah, FPS does matter to a lot of the typical customer. I won't lie, not until recently when I made the effort to put together an actual good PC did I ever give a shit about 60 FPS. I was happy with 30 and played a lot of games from back in the day when they were demanding on like... 15 FPS if I had to guess it. The only games I ever cared about having peak performance on were Quake 3 and some RTS titles, but RPGs and single player I wasn't too worried about.

I think though with F76 a lot of it was this general frustration. Even if you looked at it in the casual fan's perspective, the game comes off as rushed out. The bugs and performance issues really compound this, but there's this overall lack of direction to it. I don't know how those survival type games like Rust go since I never found them captivating to try, but even when it comes to the "survival, build your own base" portion it's sloppily put together and there's no feeling of a player having a personal stake in the world. If we still lived in the era, it'd probably be a semi-decent weekend rental for the morbidly curious.

I disagree. FPS matter A LOT to the typical customer. He just doesn't realize it. Most people have no way of knowing what the FPS of the console game they are playing is, BUT, the higher framerate games DO FEEL SMOOTHER TO CONTROL. Even if the player never understands why, he does feel frustrated by bad framerate and does enjoy good framerate when he experiences it. One of the key factors of Nintendo games that make people enjoy them is that they tend to keep framerate high, even during the N64 days.

I don't believe Fallout 76 is a bad game. Obviously it is no RPG, but it is a nice multiplayer survival shooter with base creation elements. If it was polished enough i think most people would enjoy it. It is not badly designed, in fact, the ideas behind it are good, but in typical Bethesda fashion, the execution sucked hard. They halfassed this game, more than any other game they have made. Not only in terms of bugs and poor performance, but in terms of content and gameplay ideas they never polished.

I'm sure this has contributed, but you have to remember that Fallout 4 literally dropped to 0 frames per second on the Xbox One in Diamond City. The game moved from slideshow to photograph.

More important, is that the game was so stripped down even compared to modern Bethesda games, that the consumer base decided they'd had enough.

Yes, and this is one of the chief reasons people criticized FO4 for. You can even see this in user reviews, most people tend to criticize bugs and framerate for FO4. And the dialogue wheel. Those 3 are the main complaints on all platforms. Some people also hate the minecraft elements, but most people liked those (myself included).

There are constantly periods where having kids around 21 becomes the norm. You don't even have to go to poor parts.

Those periods are over in the developed world. Getting an education is essential in a modern economy.

Ein Axt

Educated
I play both c and j RPGs. Both genre has their own appeal to me.

DQ11 deserves JRPG of the year. JRPG of the decade, even.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
DQ 5's MC starts at 4 years old, then 16 years old and then 24 years old with 2 sons in his party.
Are you 24 yet? Do you already have kids? This game is a slap on reality.
visit the poor parts of wherever you live
There are constantly periods where having kids around 21 becomes the norm. You don't even have to go to poor parts.
It shows the flaw in criticizing JRPG heroes' age. 16 is supposed the prime age to begin your journey in the world. Starting your adventure at 13 or 14 is simply the equivalent of being a highschool dropout, a bit too young but they're not really a child anymore. People these days are just old, dumb, and fragile.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Bethesda released game in 2018 and it's not GOTY RPG... What timeline is this?
Bethesda has degraded to such a degree that even your every day casual gamer thinks their games are trash now. Its just their natural state of decline, ever since daggerfall they've been removing features in every new iteration of their games, they've just reached the boiling point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom