Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you think New Vegas can work as a turn-based isometric RPG game like the first two Fallout games?

Do you think New Vegas would work well as a isometric game rather than an FPS like the original Fallout games or would it be too ambitious and complex? Could all the five DLCs for the game fit in? Would it be possible for an isometric New Vegas to even include all the cut content (bigger New Vegas and Freeside, most of the cut NPCs and dialogue that were left out due to bugs or time constraints and more Legion content)?

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Do you think New Vegas would work well as a isometric game rather than an FPS like the original Fallout games or would it be too ambitious and complex?

What in NV do you think is too "ambitious" or "complex" to work in an isometric perspective? And the area size in NV was limited by console systems' memory. You'd be able to do bigger areas with 2d tiles for sure, or with 3d if you had more memory available (i.e. didn't have to target old consoles).

So, yes, it can work. I don't see why it wouldn't.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Z axis content might be tricky to work into the Fallout 1/2 framework, but probably still possible.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course it would work. After all the setting and C&C are what makes New Vegas so good. They can easily be applied to a iso-TB format

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you mean exactly like F1-2 then it obviously wouldn't. FNV quest design and gameplay is heavily based on receiving a quest and then teleporting to a couple of different locationsto pass a speech "check" or do something and teleporting back. Doing it the way open world worked in F1-2 would be a complete chore. Also, the way SPECIAL stats matter very little would be a huge decline. On the other hand, making most skills actually useful and at the same time removing the become good at everything way too easily aspect of FNV would be a huge incline.

And for god's sake leave the inane, overrated dlc out.

Funposter

Arcane
The only thing it would really lose in the transition would be the "immersive" hiking simulator aspects, and maybe the advantages of vertical combat offered by proper 3D environments. I like those enough to say that I'm glad the game was in first-person, but I think 95% of the environments and encounters would translate to an isometric perspective with very little effort. It would certainly cut out a lot of the busywork, but that stuff can be kind of relaxing sometimes.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Yes, fixed perspecive isometric CRPGS have the best looking environments of any genre of game. Quest and story events would remain largely the same while combat would need to have the number of enemies reduced to be viable.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Yes, and it will be a much better game.

Right now it's a good RPG hidden in Bethesda's shit open world.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom