Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A windy story game

Otay

Bramble Gate Studios Original
Developer
This looks so damn unique. Can't wait to get a normal computer so I can try this.
glad you think so man

thumbsup.gif

1.2.0 is out now at http://www.realmofthetempest.com

im too lazy/tired to make a promotional video

join the discord if you want to talk about the game https://discordapp.com/invite/cmTyGgj

Otay

Developer
im not working on keyboard/mouse controls yet, but the update i am working on needs some data structures reorganized, so im rewriting them with the mouse in mind

mouse and keyboard update might actually come out "soon"

Otay

Developer
while working on the blessing menus for the npc service, i started rewriting some of how navigation and input is handled

and ive added new graphics (which look like buttons)

so now based on how the new code for handling input works, and how the graphics look, mouse and keyboard gameplay is probably a couple hundred lines of code away? ill look into it as soon as these blessings work ;]

IUEyjtR.png

Otay

Developer
posting links to my work is embarrassing and im super tired of bothering people

if i linked my work to a younger version of me before i started game dev, i would have no reason to downgrade from perfectly good games to half baked single player trash

like when you see an advertisement for a shitty toothbrush, and you already have a better toothbrush, thats what i am now

if i was literally an ad for a toothbrush nobody wanted, id lock myself in a closet quietly until i die because that is the most good you can do

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Seems like you've managed to drag yourself into a dark place and are brooding in useless thoughts, my man.

When did this become about the destination? It's always been about the journey. You're doing this because you love creating — whether code, music, sprites, or the world itself; who cares what mass-selling oriented enterprises might think of it. Go look at the very first post in this thread, they're your own words.

And in spite all of that, you've still got a couple guys wanting to try your game (waiting on kb+m support myself, can't afford a controller right now).
The only betrayal in here is the one you're committing onto yourself; you've sneaked upon yourself when you were down, and are now dragging your own self thru the dirt.

Even if in the end it all amounts to nothing, every single bit of knowledge you've gained along the way means a sturdier base on which to set future projects.
Take a break, take a breath. Look around, don't hang onto the shitty stuff.

Otay

Developer
Seems like you've managed to drag yourself into a dark place and are brooding in useless thoughts, my man.

When did this become about the destination? It's always been about the journey. You're doing this because you love creating — whether code, music, sprites, or the world itself; who cares what mass-selling oriented enterprises might think of it. Go look at the very first post in this thread, they're your own words.

And in spite all of that, you've still got a couple guys wanting to try your game (waiting on kb+m support myself, can't afford a controller right now).
The only betrayal in here is the one you're committing onto yourself; you've sneaked upon yourself when you were down, and are now dragging your own self thru the dirt.

Even if in the end it all amounts to nothing, every single bit of knowledge you've gained along the way means a sturdier base on which to set future projects.
Take a break, take a breath. Look around, don't hang onto the shitty stuff.
yeah good points. thanks man.

im feeling less pouty and working on implementing the first consumable item now.

Otay

Developer
the weed shrine is now operational

when you approach the shrine it says its "listening"

sh1.png

the 'use' button (x) pulls up these options

sh2.png

the ritual brings up an interface for donating items to the shrine

sh3.png

this shrine provides exp in exchange for herbs

shr4.gif

and with that, the 1.2.2 update will be ready as soon as i adjust drop rates for the herbs, and polish a similar shrine interface for the obelisk

then mushroom land is next (hell yeah)

ive been dying to see this area come to life

h3.png

6f.jpg

get hype get hyphy

Otay

Developer
lol weed shrine
the weed shrine is dope, ive had fun visiting it while playtesting

the item system is working, so i could release 1.2.2 right now, but ive noticed all my offensive skills are a little under powered

so im probably going to hold out until 9/9 to release the item update, and spend my time until then balancing gameplay, and adding options / save management features

Otay

Developer
been doing some landscaping in Rhunia, feels more cozy like youre visiting your friends old neighborhood

i still need to vertex paint the terrain here, ive procrastinated it for like a year+

r1.png

imntz.png

Last edited:

Otay

Developer
my new goal is to make the game good enough for 16 year old me to enjoy it

which is ambitious because 16 year old me is very busy playing diablo 2 right now, but younger me also doesnt care much about story, voice acting, or special effects

i can probably accomplish this maybe 1 year from now

Otay

Developer
1.2.2 is starting to look like a huge leap toward "feeling like a real game"

the item system feels great, the environments are coming together better in the 3d world, and there is finally an NPC that explains the adventure mechanics of prayer / song / crouching

im halfway through playtesting builds for every offensive skill on each class, and some balancing improvements are really making the stats and skill system feel like a relaxing adventure of its own

i think if i made a video on my 3 wizard sweeper builds it might convince people this game is actually fun

Otay

Developer
What is the story/plot anyways?

emot-iiam.gif

I've been cooking up lore and thinking about some plot ideas, and i can put some of my thoughts here for those of you interested.

(Potentially these maybe spoilers, but of the DBZ variety, where knowing whats going to happen doesnt really diminish the fun of the show.)

When you enter the realm of the tempest, black magic has ravaged the realm, sort of like a psuedo-apocolypse where instead of everything being destroyed, everythings just sort of fucked. The black magic came from nine forbidden books that had been kept safe by the upper class elite that rule over seven kingdoms (Rhunia, Etzland, etc.) The books get loose, everyone has access to black magic, and then physically and psychologically everyone and everything is suffering, and all that remains are the people that can cope enough to keep their humanity, now coexisting with the ones that have become monstrous demons. So black magic isnt so much a contagious virus, even tho it spreads that way. Surviving around it is just a matter of your ability to cope with its effects (Like the warrior that takes the soulstone in Diablo 1.) So what you end up with is a world of monsters that either fight you, or try to get in your head. Or maybe both.

There's a history of how the seven kingdoms were built by two clans, and how they structured society to learn and tame the power of magic, but now the structure and reliability of those systems are lost and irrelevant due to the spread of black magic. Which means people have to make decisions, rather than trusting the order of their kingdoms. So the Talonovian council all disagree with each other about shrine use, and magic use, and the player is left with no real "quest giver." It's extremely important to the tone of game to not have an immediate quest giver, because the state of losing structure is something everyone is suffering from, including you.

At some point after magic was discovered, something called a "gatekeeper" fell out of something called the ethereal stream. The ethereal stream is what connects the abstract laws of the universe, to the physical consequence of those laws in reality. Those laws are actually managed by the gatekeepers, and magic is just an "influence" on the gatekeepers of the ethereal stream. Nobody knows why the gatekeepers started falling out from there, but in the physical world they lose their unbiased perspective, and become unpredictable.

As soon as we have 5 of the seven kingdoms implemented, (Rhunia, Etzland, Haxlyn, Valimor, Kalroth), there will be a secluded mountain shrine, hidden in a floating chunk of land on the outskirts of Rhunia. Under the hazy ominous orange pollution of Rhunia's sky, lush red trees (mixed with a few dead ones) grow on the mountain shrine, while peaceful music plays. The atmosphere of the shrine gives an an ambiguous vibe of peaceful, quiet, tension. And in this floating chunk of mountain, a gatekeeper in a black robe can be summoned from an old shrine.

The gatekeeper in the black robe identifies itself as the spirit of the land, fused with the druid sage Drujiva. Being the spirit of the land, it cannot leave the shrine, and asks you to help restore the land from corruption by retrieving five "ornaments of chaos", which are seemingly useless little items that are being held deep in the citadels of Rhunia, Etzland, Haxlyn, Valimor, and Kalroth, by powerful monsters that now rule there (Az'ra Koth The Wicked, Hyrix The Storm Raiser, etc.)

When you collect these little trinkets and return them to the gatekeeper in the black robe, the gatekeeper reveals itself to be corrupt. While it really was Drujiva infused with the land's spirit at one point, several blackened bones of a gatekeeper had been buried there, gradually possessing and corrupting the druid sage. The will of evil, unstoppable in death, now revives itself, and declares its true name, "Dominus", the first gatekeeper to have fallen from the ethereal stream.

A new level of horror is unleashed, and the game mode can now be set to "lesser oblivion" or "greater oblivion" (for pre-Dominus and post-Dominus gameplay). And the player's quest now is to track down Dominus in the 7th kingdom, which was the only kingdom without a citadel. By no coincidence, the beginning of the black magic tragedy originated from this kingdom. Bitter about their kingdom being lesser than the others, the servants of the 7th house release their copies of the forbidden texts from their holy vaults, and thus the realm fell into chaos. Now, Dominus has returned to this place, and has summoned a citadel more mighty than the others combined. (Basically a gatekeepers intense sense of justice serves fine when focused entirely on single gate, separate from reality in the ethereal stream, but it becomes an overwhelming, unstoppable, and extremely myopic force in the real world.)

I'm still marinating on all these ideas, but I can see it in my head, and I think it will be fun lol. Can't wait for update 1.7.0 to drop, winter of 2022, am I right?? lolz

Last edited:

Citizen

Dont depress over some stupid shit bro. You doin a great job, game's looking very interesting!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom