Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
After watching a wealth of gameplay videos: "Lmao stop acting like you've played the game for 40 hours, you have no idea what you think of it yet."

1 hour into the game: "Who are you to judge the game so early on? You haven't even gotten to area X yet. You have no idea if it's good or not since you're barely past the tutorial lol."

5 hours into the game: "Git gud, you haven't even defeated boss Y yet and done side quest Z, how can you say the game is shit while ignoring the best content?"

40 hours of having played the game later: "Why did you play a game you think looks like shit, has shit gameplay and shit writing for 40 hours? If you spent so much time playing it then it must mean you liked it!"
On the other hand an hour of Bloodlines was enough to understand Bloodlines is awesome...

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have this weird feeling that this game will be light on RPG elements, like superfluous. I already can see a pattern, just grab a gun, pump the small firearms/guns skill to max, and you win the game easy peasy. They showed lot of pew-pew on gameplays thats always pretty bad sign of a good RPG. The game resemble a more retarded brother of ELEX.

Most likely. I think this was done on purpose, because the main audience will expect a game like Fallout 3, not Fallout 1-2.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Santa Monica and Downtown is the best content Bloodline has to offer, but each new "city" progressively worse than previous one and builds up to unavoidable disappointment in the end.

IMHO incomplete 5-8 hours impression would be a most favorable ones. It is difficult not to sour on game after SEWERS.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Santa Monica and Downtown is the best content Bloodline has to offer, but each new "city" progressively worse than previous one and builds up to unavoidable disappointment in the end.

IMHO incomplete 5-8 hours impression would be a most favorable ones. It is difficult not to sour on game after SEWERS.
I was so soured that I finished it 5 times.. without the community patches.

Prime Junta

I was so soured that I finished it 5 times.. without the community patches.

That's about 1 more than me I think. IIRC I did Toreador, Malkavian, Nosferatu, and Gangrel pretty much one straight after the other. Awful game.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In

Stop being a drama queen. Hollywood is great (if you don't count the sewers as part of it) and Chinatown is decent enough.

Terenty

Liturgist
Tim Cain has never made a bad game. I give his game the benefit of the doubt and looking forward to playing it.

Tim Cain is not the only person making this game. Back at Troika he was surrounded by more creative and competent people than today

Duraframe300

Arcane

Stop being a drama queen. Hollywood is great (if you don't count the sewers as part of it) and Chinatown is decent enough.

He's not enitrly wrong though Hollywood and Chinatown were worse than Santa Monica and Downtown.
Also (not even so) Old Codex was pretty critical of the game as well, so drama queen may be a bit too much:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-codexs-official-opinion-on-vtm-bloodlines.50142/
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/in-what-way-bloodlines-feels-unfinished.21095/page-2

As for me, I loved it from beginning to end, then again I only ever played it patched.

Daidre

Arcane

I liked game enough to do, in last 15 years, complete runs with all clans but Nosferatu. Aesthetic reasons.
But it is still strange to me that someone would argue with a straight face that not
Santa Monica (brilliant) >= Downtown (brilliant) > Hollywood (nice without/so-so with sewers) >> Chinatown (Meh, what else is there but a mean fish boss?).

PS I played first couple of runs on 2004 - 2005 builds. With a... unique translation on top. Bugland akin to early TOEE builds I have a questionable honor to see in my school years.

Last edited:

just

Liturgist
i really hope that the pronoun squad learned something from watching brazil and reading boyarsky approved literature
wonder what else did they had to watch/read/play. it sure was disturbing enough that the writer guy(they/them) left the company.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I liked game enough to do, in last 15 years, complete runs with all clans but Nosferatu. Aesthetic reasons.
But it is still strange that someone could argue with the straight face that not
Santa Monica (brilliant) >= Downtown (brilliant) > Hollywood (nice without/so-so with sewers) >> Chinatown (Meh, what else is there but a mean fish boss?).
Hollywood is legit my favorite area in the game. It's smaller than SM and Downtown, but its atmosphere and music still hit all the right notes for me. Also, I love the Ring-esque quest with the cursed tape, it's the only time other than the Ocean House Hotel that the game managed to scare me.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
That's nice you lads had so smooth experience with unpatched VtMB.

Me, I had complete show-stopper bug twice and instead of restarting for the 3rd time, I rage quit for 8 years while waiting for community patches.

Daidre

Arcane
Hollywood is legit my favorite area in the game. It's smaller than SM and Downtown, but its atmosphere and music still hit all the right notes for me. Also, I love the Ring-esque quest with the cursed tape, it's the only time other than the Ocean House Hotel that the game managed to scare me.
I was quite freaked out by abandoned hospital with a cannibal lady in the Downtown. Extra points for scaring me in location where your life is never in danger. Ocean House has at least one very memorable elevator...

Codex Year of the Donut
I was quite freaked out by abandoned hospital with a cannibal lady in the Downtown. Extra points for scaring me in location where your life is never in danger. Ocean House has at least one very memorable elevator...
I've always found the horror parts of VTMB interesting from a design perspective because your character is the thing that goes bump in the night.
The Ocean House Hotel happens fairly early in the game shortly after being embraced and while the player is still being introduced to the game. The first time going through there you really don't feel like an all-powerful beast of the night, and it manages to capture what your character would probably actually be feeling in the situation. You aren't the predator, you're all alone, and you're scared.
At least, it did for me anyways. :M

Nano

Arcane
Patron
I've always found the horror parts of VTMB interesting from a design perspective because your character is the thing that goes bump in the night.
Please, just because my character occasionally sneaks up on unsuspecting people in the street to drain them of most of their blood doesn't mean he's evil or scary. Sheesh.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Usualy you can almost tell instantly if the game is shit or not..... when you start to play fallout 1 or baldurs gate, pretty much all mechanics are there from the start, and what you do in the first 5 minutes, you do for the rest of the game.

The same is with shit games, like no mans sky and minecraft, in one you grind over and over and in other you don't do anything but walk around and gather.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Usualy you can almost tell instantly if the game is shit or not..... when you start to play fallout 1 or baldurs gate, pretty much all mechanics are there from the start, and what you do in the first 5 minutes, you do for the rest of the game.

The same is with shit games, like no mans sky and minecraft, in one you grind over and over and in other you don't do anything but walk around and gather.

:what:

What you do in Baldur's Gate is Candlekeep quests and in Fallout 1 you are shooting rats. I don't think either is an accurate representation of *what you do for the rest of the game*, but.....

The Real Fanboy

Occasionally bad games kill the reputation of one legendary developer but TOW has the chance to kill the reputation of two legendary developers.

Leonard: The art-style is an incoherent mess, like an incontinent crazed unicorn defecated a rainbow of colors. The game looks silly even when compared to Borderlands 3. That's like crazy.

Tim: How can you implement combat mechanics where NPCs don't even react to direct hits!? Even in the retarded Borderlands the enemies react or stagger to direct hits. It's 2019 ffs.

Then the female writers are so woke that they came up with ground-breaking mobs like "cystypigs". I bet they laugh behind Leonard's back because he probably has no idea of what a cisgen piggu is.

Not to mention that all female companions represent a "strong and independent woman" stereotype: Ellie is a doctor, Nyoka is a big game hunter, Parvati is a mechanic ... while Felix is a male and a scoundrel.

More importantly they managed to kill any excitement for the game.

The silver lining: The only thing that can save this game is the branching quest design however someone has to seriously ask himself how high is his tolerance to bullshit when trying to enjoy the game.

There is no way around it. All characters look ugly or dyke-like for some reason. Shooter combat mechanics seems to be broken. Everything is drenched in a gay palette. No vast open spaces or interesting quests were demo-ed until now.

I don't even know what to think or feel about it. The strange thing is that my excitement for the game dies with each new trailer or presentation they release and I simply fail to see how this game can be more than mediocre.

I'm not interested and I will not be interested in exploring the backstory of any dyke character with daddy issues.

Leonard Boyarsky is cancelled

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom