Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bored, so installed Wizardry 8

Relayer71

Liturgist
Stalin said:
It was the last good RPG ever made. After that only radio static was heard

Sad, but so true.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'm currently doing the complete trilogy run through (Wiz 6/7/8).

Having the Diamond Ring (From Wiz 6) is AWESOME as well as the wepons you can import from 6 to 7. Currently finished Wiz 6:
UIXSS005.jpg

Now working my way through 7 (The Original 7, not the GOLD version). Can't wait to bring these characters into 8!

Also, does anyone know if Wiz 8 will allow you to import characters from the ORIGINAL Wiz 7, not GOLD?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It does.
Also, KEEP THE DIAMOND RING for an ORGASMIC EXPERIENCE [I am not kidding! I nearly burst into tears when I noticed they actually implemented this!] in 8.

Also remember that the only way to get the Elven Bow into 8 is by importing it from 7. It's the best ranged weapon in the game, only usable by elves, but it has like 10% instant kill.

ALSO, remember names from 7. It's wonderful how much custom stuff there is for imported parties in 8. Nothing big, aside from 1 quest, but the details are what matters, and the responses they give to questions.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
It does.
Also, KEEP THE DIAMOND RING for an ORGASMIC EXPERIENCE [I am not kidding! I nearly burst into tears when I noticed they actually implemented this!] in 8.

Also remember that the only way to get the Elven Bow into 8 is by importing it from 7. It's the best ranged weapon in the game, only usable by elves, but it has like 10% instant kill.

ALSO, remember names from 7. It's wonderful how much custom stuff there is for imported parties in 8. Nothing big, aside from 1 quest, but the details are what matters, and the responses they give to questions.

Ok good thanks! I was worried I'd have to start over in GOLD.

I know enough to keep the diamond ring, I don't know what it does for 8, but I guess I'll find out when I get there. :D

I didn't keep the bow, as I have no faggoty elves in my party. The only weapon I REALLY want is the Cane of Corpus for my Fairy, but they ONLY way to get that is to kill the blind rat guy, and that just doesn't fit what my party would do. DILLEMA!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You can do well without the Cane. It's overpowered and intended as a joke weapon, I think.

That said, you can actually get TWO of them in Wiz 7, and it's an ultra-rare drop in 6. I think it never imports into 8 though; but you can get it in 8.

To get TWO Canes in seven, kill the guy who has it, then FORCE the door behind him. To do this your first two characters need maximum strength. Then you can kill the guy again and dual wield the canes.

Also, the Diamond Ring. You'll know what to do once you get there. The material reward for doing it isn't worth it but it felt so... awesome. When I found out you can do it, Wizardry 8 became my favourite RPG ever. It's such a sweet touch. I love sweet touches. Ahem.

Here's how to USE the Diamond Ring in seven - this destroys it though, so don't do it-

Near the end of the game [7] you find four glass cases which contain super-powered weapons. You only get to unlock one of the cases with a keycard. You can use the ring on an unopened case, gettint two super-weapons, but destroying the ring. Don't do it. Really, don't.

Hey, how did you get the Diamond Ring anyway? Did you feel icky typing what you had to type? I wonder how you're supposed to find out how to get it without a walkthrough.

While I am rambling, here's a wonderfully nice touch: if you can guess the pirate's password in Wizardry 6, you can actually get the treasure yourself! I love touches like that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yea, they cane is way overpowered, but it would be nice to get, but I am not going to. heh.

And yea, I ONLY found out to get the ring in a walkthrough. There is nothing in game that hints at what you need to say to get it. It's kind of stupid, but oh well. :D

Jasede said:
While I am rambling, here's a wonderfully nice touch: if you can guess the pirate's password in Wizardry 6, you can actually get the treasure yourself! I love touches like that.

What would be interesting is, if you DO decide to not give Queequeg the location of the treasure, is there treasure in the chest when you find it, besideds the bauble and trinkets.

Also, something I didn't read in a walkthrough was give the Amazulu Queen the bauble and trinkets. You get some lulz and it costs your party money, but it was amusing.

What else was cool was the fact you could either kill or out-drink the pirates. OMG C&C!! Actually nothing happens if you kill or out-drink them but it was nice to be offered a choice.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
As far as I know you actually get a random mid-range treasure drop instead of the baubles and the message. And there's multiple ways to use the shrinking elixir too if I remember correctly.

Kinda makes you nostalgic, doesn't it? I love this game.

Plus, I got to imagine what my half-furry 50% male party did during rests! Rawr.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
As far as I know you actually get a random mid-range treasure drop instead of the baubles and the message. And there's multiple ways to use the shrinking elixir too if I remember correctly.

Out of sheer curiosity, I had an old save before I spoke with Queequeg and just tried it, and no, you do not get any treasure, even if you do not give him the password. You get the note and the bauble and trinkets. :/

Bastards! I guess that's what we get for cheating.

Ammar

Scholar
Regarding the use of the Diamond Ring in Wizardry 7
You don't seem to lose the Diamond Ring when using it to open a case every time. On my last playthrough I actually managed to open all cases with the Diamong Ring (no reloading or anything) and still had it. You get some text about the diamond getting smaller or somethink like that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
I guess the chance is random then, and increases each use. Wow, sweet. Never knew it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I was just skimming through the sound files of Wiz 8, and the character creation music I must say is phenomenal. All the music is pretty damn good, but especially that music.

Damn, I loved Wiz 8. Must have made close to ten parties, beat it twice, yet I haven't played six or seven, and I have a powerful urge to do so. What's the best way to play these? Whenever I'm peruesing the selection at half.com, my cursor hovers over Wizardry Gold, but I feel that it is not recommended, why is that?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Eh. Brennus will tell you that Wiz Gold is better; but-

It's hilariously buggy to some extents. It's mostly a preference thing though; it's not like Wiz 7 is bug-free. I vastly recommend 7 over Gold, but don't expect a long apology why.

The best way to play 6 is with any party you'll have fun with. I recommend starting with mostly base-classes and multi-classing them later in the game.

Do keep in mind that multi-classing the whole party in 6 to hybrid/elite classes will make the very, very difficult Wizardry 7 ever harder by giving you a slooooooow beginning if you import your elite/hybrid party to it.

SkeleTony

Augur
Jasede said:
Eh. Brennus will tell you that Wiz Gold is better; but-

It's hilariously buggy to some extents. It's mostly a preference thing though; it's not like Wiz 7 is bug-free. I vastly recommend 7 over Gold, but don't expect a long apology why.

The best way to play 6 is with any party you'll have fun with. I recommend starting with mostly base-classes and multi-classing them later in the game.

Do keep in mind that multi-classing the whole party in 6 to hybrid/elite classes will make the very, very difficult Wizardry 7 ever harder by giving you a slooooooow beginning if you import your elite/hybrid party to it.

Wizardry Gold has some features that are (arguably) improvements but only marginally so i suppose(in game help and hint guide with maps and such for example). But this is counterbalanced by terrible voice acting(which did not exist in Wiz 7), a few new bugs(replacing the old bugs that Gold fixes) and the fact that Gold does not run in XP(well, it DOES run in XP but the text scrolls so fast that you cannot read it so you have to use a walk through to know what to say to NPCs and such) nor does it run under DOSBox.
Gold also has a nice character creation exploit for getting bonus points after class selection that did not exist in W7.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:

I disagree. I have my SUPAR hybrid party from Wiz 6 imported into Wiz 7 and made a level in a couple of hours in New City, and made it to level 9 after finishing Orkogre (After doing that bitch of a fight with the Spectral Ravens). It is not really a slow start, at least for me so far.

I highly recommend you play a Wiz Trilogy (6/7/8) game BloodyJellySubmarine! It's a blast!

Also you will want to avoid Wiz Gold as SkeleTony mentioned. For example, fighting some mages, you cast silence on them. Well the text scrolls SO FAST you have NO idea if you silenced all of them, some of them or not at all. And running the old DOSBox Wizardry you can turn the cycles down to be able to pick the chests and doors. :oops:

My party in Wiz 6 was:

2 Valk/Ninja/Valk
1 Fight/Ninja/Sam
1 Bard/Ninja/Bard
1 Mage/Priest/Ninja/Psi
1 Priest/Mage/Ninja/Ranger

I always wanted to try a party, where everybody has the hiding skill. So far it is interesting.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
jorgamesh said:
SkeleTony said:
and the fact that Gold does not run in XP(well, it DOES run in XP but the text scrolls so fast that you cannot read it so you have to use a walk through to know what to say to NPCs and such) nor does it run under DOSBox.
http://www.softwarespecialties.com/dcforum/DCForumID6/1211.html#

That only fixes the NPC dialog text (I have tried it, and it DOES indeed work). The combat text continues to flash by no matter what delay setting you have. Not being able to see if you silenced Mr. T'Rang Elder = PARTY DEAD.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Wow, I must suck at Wizardry 7.

My party was:

1 Samurai, 1 Ninja, 1 Monk, 1 Bishop, 1 Ranger and 1 Valkyrie and I had a -lot- of trouble at the start. I breezed through the end-game though (but never the Final Fantasy-style optional super-bosses). Then again, I also refused to rest, ever, because it was my first time playing and I didn't know just how time-sensitive the game would be.

It was a lot of fun. Everyone should do a 6-7-8 run.

Hey Jaesun, post here once you find the diamond-ring thing in 8; I'm curious if you think it as a nice as I did.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Jasede said:
Wow, I must suck at Wizardry 7.

My party was:

1 Samurai, 1 Ninja, 1 Monk, 1 Bishop, 1 Ranger and 1 Valkyrie and I had a -lot- of trouble at the start. I breezed through the end-game though (but never the Final Fantasy-style optional super-bosses). Then again, I also refused to rest, ever, because it was my first time playing and I didn't know just how time-sensitive the game would be.

You never rested? LOL! Ouch that would be painful. ;) If you make up characters in Wiz 7 (Not import chars from Wiz 6) it WOULD actually be a bit tough. As your characters are only level 1. If you import, they are Level 5.

It was a lot of fun. Everyone should do a 6-7-8 run.
I agree. Also, if someone wants a good walkthrough, maps, items site, go here: http://www.tk421.net/wizardry/wiz6walk.shtml

Hey Jaesun, post here once you find the diamond-ring thing in 8; I'm curious if you think it as a nice as I did.

Will do. I am in Wiz 7 right now, and just recovered the Holy Work in Munharama. That Dark Munk battle there SUCKED. I still have a long way to go.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom