Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dragon Age Origin Stories Revealed!

kris

Arcane
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Doesn't matter how many people it worked for, it's bad writing plain and simple, and in any sort of medium. Introducing a character 5 minutes into the story, killing them a few minutes later, and expecting some sort of emotional connection from the audience/players is ludicrous.

Like I said, this is just like a random action movie. Especially the martial arts ones, always start like this. Just show what level it is at.

Longshanks

Augur
Volourn said:
"In one, you are expected to care about some old guy that your character loves"

Nope. Not really. You could be motivated by the fact that you have assassins trying to kill you. That's your real motivation.
Which is fine. I was only discussing the Gorion motivation and imputed personality. Well, not even that really, I was speaking more generally and using BG1 as an example. In truth, my memory of BG1 is not that strong. I do seem to remember that a loving Gorion-PC relationship is made clear, forcing part of the character's makeup on the player. Your character is expected, and if I remember correctly is stated to, care about Gorion and be upset at his passing. Given the player barely knows this Gorion fellow, it is difficult for him to empathise. This is the "Gorion Effect" Ed was referring to. A pivotal, emotional moment for the character, that due to lack of build up, falls flat for the player.

If this is wrong, fine, just pretend it's some hypothetical RPG where a part of the character's personality is taken out of the hands of the player.

made

Arcane
Considering you are free to make a chaotic evil character that would likely not give a damn about his foster father, and write your own backstory stating as much, I think it's safe to say that Bioware did not presume to evoke any emotions with Gorion's death, but simply used it to get the plot in motion. Given that his death was dramatic (iirc he died while protecting the PC from Sarevok), even an evil character would be curious as to wtf just happened there, thus getting the ball rolling.

Anyway, DA origin stories sound like glorified tutorial missions. I'd hope that choices you make in them would affect how the story devolops lateron, but knowing Bioware that equals a big LOL.

Smarts

Scholar
Looking back at BG1, at no point are you forced to say that your character gave a damn about Gorion, and the first 'evil' dream hints that the relationship between Gorion and an evil PC wasn't particuarly good. There are a few opportunities to say you didn't like Gorion, though they come late, in Chapter 6. The beginning narration of Chapter 1 (just after Gorion's death) doesn't specify what the character is feeling, beyond helplessness and fear for their life, which is assuming that the character isn't a complete idiot - but no more than that.

You awake with the realisation that you have not been living some horrible dream. Ambushed, you saw Gorion cut down before your eyes, and even his powerful magic could not stop the onslaught. It was his wish that you flee, but that does not remove the feeling of helplessness that now overwhelms you.

"Hand over your ward," the armoured fiend had said. He was after you and you alone, but why? If only Gorion had given some clue - but now you are alone and lost. Candlekeep is near, but you will find no quarter there. The Readers pay for their serenity with rather draconian entry rules, and without Gorion's influence their doors will remain closed.

You will not last long on your own with your meager equipment. Perhaps you can get some help from the friends Gorion mentioned, the ones at the Friendly Arm.

AlanC9

Liturgist
Edward_R_Murrow said:
Doesn't matter how many people it worked for, it's bad writing plain and simple, and in any sort of medium. Introducing a character 5 minutes into the story, killing them a few minutes later, and expecting some sort of emotional connection from the audience/players is ludicrous. Things like that take time.

You're arguing that it's bad writing because it doesn't deliver the emotional payoff it's supposed to. But if the functionality of a particular narrative strategy is the issue, then the percentage of the audience for whom the strategy works is the relevant test, no?

Doesn't really matter, since we're using "works" to mean different things anyway. Sure, players don't feel any emotional connection to Gorion. But who said that was the point of the strategy? From where I sit, the point is that my PC feels such a connection, even though I personally don't. (Assuming he's that sort of PC, of course). The DA origin stories will work if they situate my character in the world.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Edward is a POOR role-playing. He's not playing the PC/Bhaawlspawn in that situation. he's playing himself. If he was a half decent role-player, he'd have the ability to actually role-play how the character feels about the situation, and not worry about himself.

Pathetic.

Shoelip

Arbiter
skyway said:
In other words LARP

LARP is when people dress up in costumes and Live Action Role Play. Acting out the action in the game.

In a roleplaying game, you're supposed to roleplay the character. Most of the time this isn't possible since the only options are "Good" ("I'll help you!") "Neutral" ("Ok, whatever, I'll help.") and "Evil" ("Sure I'll help you, but first I'm going to demand you tell me what the reward is because I'm evil!") At least in this case it's just a matter of reacting emotionally to a situation so the usual lack of any real choices in CRPGs doesn't hamper it. Your foster father was just killed by some crazy powerful guy, you're alone. Make of it what you will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom