Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone remember Rune?

Callaxes

Arbiter
I played it when it came out, I was like 10. Didn't know anything about vikings besides the horns. Jeebus the game packed one tight atmosphere, the story wasn't bad either, I'm not sure about the combat though, in 2000 it seemed great to me, now I'm having second thoughts.

But yeah, Ragnar was my childhood hero, even though he never talked.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It was a very amusing slasher. I keep going back to it from time to time.

Durwyn

Prophet
Multiplayer with Halls of Valhalla addon was fucking fun. Especialy the arena duels. You can still find lots of working servers around the net. Great game, too bad nobody thought about making a sequel.

Durwyn

Prophet
Throwing a 2h greataxe just to get it deflected by the enemy and being hit by it never gets old.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
that name brings forth frustrating memories of enemy decapitation... fun game otherwise.

Andhaira

Arcane
You were TEN when youplayed htis? Wow, it seems just yesterday to me it was released , and then its expansion pack.

Good game.

elander_

Arbiter
It's a competent hack-and-slasher. After playing it try Severance: Blade of Darkness. This game has more moves and tactics and is more challenging. The stamina bar regenerates very quickly and goes down with each which forces the player to introduce tactical pauses and be careful with attacks that drain too much stamina.

Eldritch

Scholar
Rune was great.

And,

Even though it ain't exactly hack&slash genre (you could sure hack some shit up with your spear tho) a similar third person fantasy action game from the olden days of yore was Heretic II which also had great action and atmosphere. It had such an excellently quaint fantasy atmosphere and great graphics with what I can only call the second best implementation of the Quake II engine after friggin Half Life itself. The action coupled with the atmosphere was addicting as fuck. This gem was unfortunately overlooked by the masses who were too mesmerized by Quake 2 and Unreal at the time of its release. Too bad it's such a bitch to run under XP/Vista now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Indeed, Heretic II was also good. A shame I never finished it though, even though I tried twice. First my save got corrupted, I think, and the second time I somehow lost interest at an area that looked like the last one (dunno why, but it happens frequently to me. I can play a game non-stop for two weeks but when I get to the last area I just stop).

Eldritch

Scholar
You're a man of good taste, sir. Do you by chance mean the seraph Morcalavain's mountain fortress area? The one that was filled with those giant goon creatures. I strangely never beat that too. But I don't give a fuck, tis' just an action game and I sure enjoyed the ride. Maybe I'd finish it some day before the Cleveocalypse at 2012. We still got time.

Panthera

Scholar
Heretic II was brilliant! I remember that the patches improved the combat with your melee weapon to the point where online duels could be fought that were as good as Jedi Knight's.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yes, it might have been Morcalavin's fortress. I only remember that it started with going down by some sort of lift, and Corvus being all like "OSNAP, PLAGUE SAPPIN' MAH STRENGTH".

Carceri

Arcane
Callaxes said:
But yeah, Ragnar was my childhood hero, even though he never talked.

Real heroes never talk.

Multiplayer was awesome indeed, nothing more satisfying than hurling a two handed gargantuan hammer at your enemies.

denizsi

Arcane
To think that it's been 9 years. Damn, time flies by.

When the game devolved into a Tomb Raider with a Viking Theme (lots of jumping between platforms), with the occasional skeleton fighter sending me back all the way down (I imagine that was early in the game), I said fuck it, quit and uninstalled. Tomb Raider is the game when I feel like I can endure such shit. A shame since the game looked very interesting otherwise.

Callaxes

Arbiter
Hel was one of the most annoying parts of the game and so were the skeletons. After that, the game just got better and better.

Honest.

Morbe

Novice
I remember enjoying it, but I also remember my gaming experience hindered because I couldn't stop comparing it to Severance, which was in my opinion a lot better in every way (though Severance's multiplayer was horrible, in Rune it was decent at least). But if you're enjoying it you should definitely try Severance after that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Man, I remember trying the Heretic 2 demo. I remember it being pretty good, but I never played the full game. I fucking loved Heretic, Hexen and Hexen 2, though. Hexen was the shit.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
AndhairaX said:
You were TEN when youplayed htis? Wow, it seems just yesterday to me it was released , and then its expansion pack.

Good game.

Yeah, I always smile when a young'n says somthing like this.

When I was 10, computers where only somthing you saw on TV and they filled entire buildings :shock:

Removing Rune from inventory now....

Edit: Sorry if I sound patronising....it's my birthday today and I'm feeling very last-gen :oops:

Destroid

Arcane
Rune was pretty awesome, one of the few FPSs I have finished, and had great multi (tri-mace flame whoring aside).

EDIT: I guess it isn't really an FPS but rather a 3rd person action, but you could play from first as I recall, just wasn't very practical (unless you were slinging goblin axes).

DaveO

Erudite
I remember ***** slapping the main villian with that massive mirrored two handed sword. Circle strafe FTW!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom