Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Penny Arcade today

suibhne

Erudite
Aside from featuring an amusing strip re. KotOR 2, today's Penny Arcade newspost offers up some typically curmudgeonly Tycho observations on RPGs.

On Troika:
In about a week, we'll see if my faith in Obsidian will pay dividends, or if - like Troika - they're a cadre of talented individuals with massive ideas for whom technical excellence is an elusive quarry.

On MMORPGs:
I can't avoid the genre, because I've always had a suspicion there would be a game whose ability to translate my person was so complete, whose mechanisms were so natural that I could just sort of live there instead. Picture a man sipping each milk in the dairy aisle, on the grounds that he will one day come across a mislabeled magical elixir.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
MMORPGs are like that. Most of them hold the 'promise' to be different than all the others in the market, but none of them manage to fulfill it. They continue to make this promise even after the game enters the retail market and the naive players who indulge themselves in the promise believe that a 'future patch' could transform the game into what they want.

Spazmo

Erudite
What I don't get is how anyone finishing KOTOR could fail to try the both endings given that all you'd have to do is reload a savegame from where you make the single plot decision in the entire game in that Bastila dialog.

suibhne

Erudite
Spazmo said:
What I don't get is how anyone finishing KOTOR could fail to try the both endings given that all you'd have to do is reload a savegame from where you make the single plot decision in the entire game in that Bastila dialog.

Unfortunately, you've also just described Bloodlines.

Old Scratch

Liturgist
I don't think developers should have to hold the players hand and only allow them a path to a specific ending which only reflects what they've done. That's really up to the player, if you're really trying to role-play a character at all.

The player should have already defined who their character was by the time they reach the end of a game and maintain some consistency. Why, if your character acted in what could be considered a compassionate, or humane manner throughout the majority of their journey, would they all of a sudden decide to do something incredibly immoral? Other than a sudden onslaught of an anti-social personality disorder or something.

For that reason, being able to choose which ending you can do at some juncture doesn't matter. If you throw role-playing out the window just so you can watch another cut-scene, that just being...munchkiny, and one can't really fault the developers of the game for it.

Like in KOTOR, I never saw the evil ending because my character wasn't evil. If I did want to see it, I would make a character prone to the dark side. The game wasn't quite good enough for another run-through though. Same with Bloodlines; even though there's a couple set points where you can decide how it's going to end, I chose the path best suited to my character and let that be the ending for him. Now I'm going through with a more agressive bastard.

That said, it would still be nice if somehow what you did was totaled up and directed you to a specific "ending", but I don't think it's something that's necessary. Even better would be the Fallout route, where you get a report on the effect you had on the game world, but developers don't seem to like to do that.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Why, if your character acted in what could be considered a compassionate, or humane manner throughout the majority of their journey, would they all of a sudden decide to do something incredibly immoral? Other than a sudden onslaught of an anti-social personality disorder or something.

Well, in D&D, that would be a chaotic neutral character.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Neither is the neverending crusade taken up by every other 18-25 year old to inform everyone of just how unfunny they find it.

Sarvis

Erudite
Yeah, because obviously your tastes are the only ones that matter and anything you don't like sucks and should be shut down!

Asshats.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Sarvis, that comic does have some funny shit. The most recent one has this little banter going on (oh and since I don't know their names I'm going to be very generic):

Character 1: "You... sacrificed... children for power?"

Character 2: "Of course. If I'd done it for no reason, I'd be a sicko or something. So, we gonna make out or what?"

Sarvis

Erudite
dojoteef said:
Sarvis, that comic does have some funny shit. The most recent one has this little banter going on (oh and since I don't know their names I'm going to be very generic):

*snicker*

If you played Final Fantasy you should know their names.

That's White Mage and Black Mage! (No, they don't have real names.)

Character 1: "You... sacrificed... children for power?"

Character 2: "Of course. If I'd done it for no reason, I'd be a sicko or something. So, we gonna make out or what?"

It's an ongoing thing with those two... In one of the earlier comics Black Mage kept trying bad pick up lines on her, and she just kept hitting him with a giant hammer.... hehe.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Outta the park? I dont know, its really fuckin wordy for a metal thong in the ass joke...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom