Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I was replaying Fallout...

roguefrog

Liturgist
And I decided to give me the Luck of Irish aka 10. I'm also gifted and small of frame. Tagged Speech, Science and Frikkin' Laser err Energy Weapons and then I was off in search of the water chip.

Vault 15 here I come (SPECIAL ENCOUNTER) "They do exist!" I get the bloody UFO wreck! More importantly the mother of all frickkin' lasers - the foozle killer point-blank blaster.

After foolin' about shady sands I head towards Junktown. (SPECIAL ENCOUNTER) A truck tiped over... And a crate with over 10000 caps. Luck runs through my veins.

But then I ambled back to the Raider Camp and get the queerest reponse. They thinking me a ghost of the klan heads father Death Hand. What the heck?

Anyway I ditched (ECOUNTER) deadass Ghoul sucker - 50 caps. Currently held up in the Hub counting my caps and testing my luck at craps.

Luck > You

Fez

Erudite
Aaaah, more Fallout loving. It's great when you play through it again and you see new events happen.

Digit

Liturgist
Hah, thats really cool. Its nice to see they factored these things in too. I've often wondered about a Luck stat in games, but they rarely seem to have much impact. Good to hear one does.

Digit

Ortchel

Liturgist
Are you running the game on XP? I tried to replay it recently but it was no go :/

Fez

Erudite
There is a guide on NMA for that. I have Fallout 1 and 2 running fine on XP.

dunduks

Liturgist
Yup, Fallout1 works like a charm on XP, the only problem was with the setup, but as Fez said, there is a guide on NMA how to install it.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Hm, that wasn't my problem though. It installs just fine, but then it gets to the 'Loading' screen and drops back to desktop.

Fez

Erudite
Is it the DOS version or the windows version?

Sarvis

Erudite
dunduks said:
Yup, Fallout1 works like a charm on XP, the only problem was with the setup, but as Fez said, there is a guide on NMA how to install it.

What's NMA? For those of us who should be trying to install this soon...

Fez

Erudite
I don't know how you've managed to hang about here and like Fallout without at least knowing what NMA was. Here.

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
I don't know how you 've managed to hang about here and like Fallout without at least knowing what NMA was. Here

Err.. who said I liked Fallout? I haven't even played it yet!

Ortchel

Liturgist
I've got the windows version. NMA sez I should run it specifically from a shortcut as opposed to directly through the exe, so I'm gonna try that later and see how it goes.

/fingers crossed

Sarvis

Erudite
It's on order... I can't make the mailman go any faster. Though considering I ordered it on the 22 I'm beginning to think he's walking... :sigh:

So much for "dirt cheap shipping" options... hhe.

Fez

Erudite
Threaten to send them 'special' parcels in the post if they don't hurry up. Either that or just warez it while you are waiting for delivery, it works for Exitium. Depends on how much bandwidth you'd have to spare of course.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
Another good way to fix crashing problems is to right-click the icon and go to properties. There should be a tab called "compatibility". Check the box that says "Run in Compatibility Mode For" and click "Windows 95" in the drop-down box.

Works like a charm.

Ortchel

Liturgist
Yeah, it doesn't work, which is why I'm hoping this NMA-shortcut-thing does the trick.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
But then I ambled back to the Raider Camp and get the queerest reponse. They thinking me a ghost of the klan heads father Death Hand. What the heck?

This happens when you're wearing a specific type of armor (it might also be based on cha). Apparently, those guys have a trouble recognizing faces.

Ortchel

Liturgist
What armor is that? The leader wore that spikey metal armor, if I remember correctly (from 1998), is that the one? I'd like to see this for myself once I get it going.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure it's the metal armor.

The reason most people don't see it is because at the point most players do that quest, they have leather armor or jacket at best.

Spazmo

Erudite
Once, I did it with power armour and a rocket launcher, which was good fun for the whole family. It's not that unplausible that people might have metal armour by the time they deal with the raiders because you have to leave Shady Sands after dealing with the radscorpions and then come back for Tandi to have been kidnapped. Unless players know the quest is there, most wouldn't go back right away. Again, my first time around, I didn't think to go back to Shady Sands until I had power armour.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Well I had the Jacket. I was thinking it was the high luck but I also have high charisma so it could be that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom