Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
So I was doing a bit of cleaning on my room, and it was the turn of the old shelve where I had piled up a ton of shitty and random pc games than I’ve bought for a couple of bucks during the last years. You know, you enter an old videogame store and start seeking for potential little gems and stuff like that. And the result is a lot of cardboard, paper and plastic rooting in your house. So I checked again the name of the games and came to here directly wondering some information about a couple of them.

- King’s bounty the legend and King’s bounty armored princess. I remember I bought the first one on a sale in the mall for 1 euro, along with... Grand theft auto IV for PC. It was just one coin for each game goddamit, don’t blame me! I forgot where did I get the Armored princess one.

- Sacred 2. A popular diablo clone as far I know. I remember seeing my older brother playing it a lot on his PC. It was like in 3D, good looking and with dragons. What can possibly go wrong with this?

- Drakensang the dark eye. I remember I read good impresions of this game somewhere in this forum. So the name of it was on my head when I purchased this used but in good condition game.

- Dungeon siege 1 and 2. I saw that good PC box filled with content and with the slutty redhead girl on it and I couldn’t resist. I read some old threads on the codex about the first one, it’s not well received. What about the sequel?

- Neverwinter nights 2. With all of expansions, Mask of the betrayed included, which I never played of course, but I know is beloved. What about the base game and the rest?

These for now. I wonder if they worth playing or not, basically. And if they don’t have any redeeming values maybe I get rid of them in the sake of space. Good evening.

Wunderbar

Arcane
- King’s bounty the legend and King’s bounty armored princess.
yes.png

Deleted Member 16721

Sacred 2 is great. You can ultra customize your character all the way up to level 200. Hack n slash lootfest with tons of "stuff", quantity of solid quality galore. I'd recommend it if you're into hack n slashes with tons of uniques, classes, stats and an enormous handcrafted world map with several biomes.

Stakhanov

Augur
NWN2 original campaign not so much, but at the very least the expansions associated with it are worth playing, namely Mask of the Betrayer, which has a Planescape Torment vibe and is just great. Storms of Zehir isn't bad either.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
NWN1 is better than NWN 2 by far.

Both worth a few playthroughs though.

Edit: Disagree/Fake News and it means you don't know anything about RPGs or NWN.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
- Dungeon siege 1 and 2. I saw that good PC box filled with content and with the slutty redhead girl on it and I couldn’t resist. I read some old threads on the codex about the first one, it’s not well received. What about the sequel?

DS2 is a solid Diablo clone with better itemization and combat mechanics than the first and adds things like distinct sidekicks each with their own quest and item that comes from it. I found it a marked improvement over the first and enjoyed it due to that, but it might be considered average or bad by many who've played more Diablo clones than I have. Unlike the first it's very much a clone too, right down with the final dungeon respawning monsters when you leave to allow you room to grind for gear and levels.

The first I wouldn't recommend, especially if the copy you got is like mine and is bugged. I didn't know that until the last few years, but certain CD copies have a problem at the end where you beat the end boss and the game doesn't end forcing you to exit on your own and so won't allow you the option to replay the game over again with the same character. For years I thought that was just how the game was and was mystified why near the end mobs kept dropping loot over the possible level I was able to attain (like being lv 72 and having lv88 crap dropping).

If you do want to play it, don't risk the CD install and find a copy online that you can be sure doesn't do that since I don't think any fixes are kicking about.

OTOH, DS1 has it's famous modded campaign someone did which ports Ultima V that it always praised.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Sacred2 is a false dream full of empty husks of hope. You play it about ten hours and you realize it's like fucking a plastic doll. Abandon it!

Armored Princess is nice. Turnbased and a little tactical, kinda like HoMM but a little less weakness to exploit.

NWN2OC is good. Pacing is a problem but doesnt that happen to every great game? You need a full fix session: download the fixpack, also a mod that reduce imbuement aura (that come from too many buffs). Also remember to play the Crossroad keep building and management seriously because that's an important part of that game.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sacred2 is a false dream full of empty husks of hope. You play it about ten hours and you realize it's like fucking a plastic doll. Abandon it!

Armored Princess is nice. Turnbased and a little tactical, kinda like HoMM but a little weakness to exploit.

NWN2OC is good. Pacing is a problem but doesnt that happen to every great game? You need a full fix session: download the fixpack, also a mod that reduce imbuement aura (that come from too many buffs). Also remember to play the Crossroad keep building and management seriously because that's an important part of that game.

NWN2: OC has really weak parts (it has like 90% filler content), but the stronghold management was the best I saw in a RPG (maybe Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom is better, but I gave up on the game before reaching this part).
Granted, you can easily skip it (it makes the final part of the game 5% harder or something like that), but that would be missing the best part of the game.

Storm of Zehir is about establishing a Trade Empire, and is pretty open ended (ok, the premise may sound studid for a DnD adventuring party, but the game does it rather well).

MOTB has also better encounters than NWN2:OC, and may be worth a playthrough.

Unfortunately, NWN2 mod tools were harder to work with, so it doesn't have as many mods as NWN1, but the original campaigns are much better IMO (because you can control several characters).

KB, and KB:AP are combat focused HOMM (ie, without the optimisation mini game on the main map). They are good, but may be a bit repetitive. They are still worth playing IMO (I didn't complete them, and never felt an itch to do so).

Sacred 2, Dungeon Siege 1 and 2: The problem with Diablo clones is that they make you feel like a hamster in a wheel after a while(or a rat in a maze?) :D

Drakensang: It is really slow paced. I remember the second one (the "prequel" iirc), River of Time being much better in this department(better encounters, less filler). Nevertheless, das schwarze Auge system is a good one, and it is one of the better modern RPG based on it (with Blackguards 1). But I'd advise you to directly play RoT.

Max Damage

Savant
When playing Armored Princess, install Crossroads. Same game, but more content + extra campaigns.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Both are fun. Armored Princess is better but The Legend is good, too. It's basically HoMM without the basebuilding.

- Sacred 2. A popular diablo clone as far I know.

Meh. It's not as good as the first Sacred. Doesn't hurt giving a try though if you're into the genre.

- Drakensang the dark eye.

Yeah it's a pretty decent Bioware style RPG set in the Dark Eye world. Pretty good.

- Dungeon siege 1 and 2.

I enjoyed them as a young teenager because the graphics were gorgeous for the time, but it's the most mindless Diablo clone out there. Just gather your party and whack shit over the head.

The good thing about Dungeon Siege 1 is that there are Ultima remakes for it. Ultima V Lazarus and The Ultima VI Project. Both are good remakes of the old Ultima games in a modern engine. Definitely give those a try.

- Neverwinter nights 2. With all of expansions, Mask of the betrayed

NWN 2 has a crappy original campaign but it's still a million times better than the utterly pointless piece of shit that was NWN 1. Mask of the Betrayer is pretty good and worth playing.

There are also a bunch of good user modules for the game, sadly not as many as for NWN 1 (especially sad since NWN2 has a much better engine than that piece of shit NWN 1) but there are some.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
- Neverwinter nights 2. With all of expansions, Mask of the betrayed included, which I never played of course, but I know is beloved. What about the base game and the rest?

NWN2, like Pillars, is more boring than bad as far as I remember. Though I guess boring IS bad, depending on the person. MotB is much less boring and therefore good. The second expansion I never played.

Drakensang is a good question. They're not on any digital stores as far as I know, so I have never gotten around to them.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
What the actual fuck

NWN 1 is literally the worst RPG ever made.

Thousands of players disagree. I wonder why. Maybe NWN 1 was just too cerebral for you. Try playing Skyrim seems more your cup of tea.

NWN2 has a much better engine than that piece of shit NWN 1

Yeah the good engine that somehow makes your character have rubberbanding issues (while playing single player offline) where you can teleport to a place where you were over 30 seconds ago because of how well it is made.

There is a reason why there are more modules for NWN. Maybe use your "critical thinking" skills to figure it out.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
- Drakensang the dark eye. I remember I read good impressions of this game somewhere in this forum.

Both are quite good, camera view and trees are quite annoying in King's Bounty, hiding some loot and forcing you to rotate all the time, aside from that, very solid gameplay.

As for Drakensang, The River of Time is the best one, if you didn't play it, go for this one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
What the actual fuck

NWN 1 is literally the worst RPG ever made.

Thousands of players disagree. I wonder why. Maybe NWN 1 was just too cerebral for you. Try playing Skyrim seems more your cup of tea.

NWN2 has a much better engine than that piece of shit NWN 1

Yeah the good engine that somehow makes your character have rubberbanding issues (while playing single player offline) where you can teleport to a place where you were over 30 seconds ago because of how well it is made.

There is a reason why there are more modules for NWN. Maybe use your "critical thinking" skills to figure it out.

There's nothing "cerebral" about single player RTwP D&D designed to be so motherfucking slow that trash mobs (which is all the OC's encounters consist of) take minutes to wade through, and there is zero C&C in the story which is as boring and formulaic as it gets (RETRIEVE THE 4 THINGS, NOW GO AND RETRIEVE MORE THINGS!!), you can literally autopilot your way through NWN 1's OC and fall asleep halfway through. It's the most boring RPG ever made.

NWN 2 at least has full party control, therefore its user modules are better by default as you can actually have engaging and fun combat. I played hundreds of RPGs in my life, but none has such boring and bland combat as NWN1.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
There's nothing "cerebral" about single player RTwP D&D designed to be so motherfucking slow that trash mobs (which is all the OC's encounters consist of) take minutes to wade through, and there is zero C&C in the story which is as boring and formulaic as it gets (RETRIEVE THE 4 THINGS, NOW GO AND RETRIEVE MORE THINGS!!), you can literally autopilot your way through NWN 1's OC and fall asleep halfway through. It's the most boring RPG ever made.

NWN 2 at least has full party control, therefore its user modules are better by default as you can actually have engaging and fun combat. I played hundreds of RPGs in my life, but none has such boring and bland combat as NWN1.

I can understand the argument for "streamlining" in RPGs the combat being too slow/difficult to comprehend. However once you get past the learning curve NWN is a rewarding RPG to play. If you prefer something more action packed like DA:O or Skyrim and you're free to play that sort of thing, however it does not make it better.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

I can understand the argument for "streamlining" in RPGs the combat being too slow/difficult to comprehend. However once you get past the learning curve NWN is a rewarding RPG to play. If you prefer something more action packed like DA:O or Skyrim and you're free to play that sort of thing, however it does not make it better.

Interested in this because despite doing my best to like it I found NWN1 to be absolute garbage. I don't care about the awful graphics and controls but maining a mage dragging along a pretty much mandatory rogue for lock picking was boring as fuck.

Do you multi-class a lot?

What is the secret to making one/two man party in any way interesting when it comes to combat?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think it's important to distinguish between the NWN OC and what one can do with the toolset and the Aurora engine (Swordflight).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom