Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Arvan Eleron Interview: Colin McComb and George Ziets talk Torment

gromit

Arcane
The man is just plain likable. He's modestly good-looking, speaks casually and without pretension, and practices active listening -- except for when he's fidgeting or clearly off in thought. Some would call that "distracted" but that's the word for when stupid people do it. There is a certain look, a flash of cold fire in the eyes, that people who are both extremely intelligent and creative* show from time to time, when they are paying so much attention that their brain's already kicking into operation. Ziets has that look, like other people have Resting Bitch Face.

He's already got a name, when and where it counts: creatives love him, publishers give him contracts. But now that he's getting more public exposure, being all charming art-nerd humility and stuff? If Fargo likes it, he should put a ring on it.

*Without getting into a semantic argument, this combination is more rare than you'd think.

Darkzone

Arcane
The man is just plain likable. He's modestly good-looking, speaks casually and without pretension, and practices active listening -- except for when he's fidgeting or clearly off in thought. Some would call that "distracted" but that's the word for when stupid people do it. There is a certain look, a flash of cold fire in the eyes, that people who are both extremely intelligent and creative* show from time to time, when they are paying so much attention that their brain's already kicking into operation. Ziets has that look, like other people have Resting Bitch Face.
He's already got a name, when and where it counts: creatives love him, publishers give him contracts. But now that he's getting more public exposure, being all charming art-nerd humility and stuff? If Fargo likes it, he should put a ring on it.
*Without getting into a semantic argument, this combination is more rare than you'd think.

Ohh Fuck.. but ok i agree there is a reason why Ziets and McComb are the ones presenting T:ToN to the public. McComb is the evil bald mastermind and Ziets is the emo existentialist and this is what we call a fucking duet from hell or a dream duo.

TheScarecrow

Educated
I fucking love Ziets.

Also, it's interesting to know that El-Jinto and Canadu are Backer's NPCs (if my english didn't fail me)

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, I only got final confirmation about this on the Tuesday before the appearance, or I would definitely have let you know. As always, thanks for the kind words! George and Colin were awesome, and despite the performance stuff the game looks tremendous...feels exactly like a "Torment game" should. I should also say that we have one more of these interviews scheduled for a couple of weeks from now (exact date coming soon)--I'll have Patrick Rothfuss, NY Times bestselling author who did some work on Torment, probably Colin again, and perhaps Monte Cook himself (not sure yet, but we're working on it) to talk about worldbuilding and the like. I'll be doing some gameplay again as I do the interview, this time joined by my Speculate podcast co-hosts Mike Underwood and Brad Beaulieu.

And you all saw George's smile when I mentioned the Codex. He LIKES you guys! :p

--Arv
Would you consider asking someone like Colin next time you're interviewing him if Brian Mitsoda actually wrote something (as promised in the Kickstarter)?
Kevin Saunders didn't really have an information on that when asked here (understandably so, since he wasn't working at inXile anymore when I asked, so he probably felt like it wasn't his place to talk about that, or he really didn't know), and my thread in the official inXile forums is blessed with a telling silence.

Arvan Eleron

Literate
Would you consider asking someone like Colin next time you're interviewing him if Brian Mitsoda actually wrote something (as promised in the Kickstarter)?
Kevin Saunders didn't really have an information on that when asked here (understandably so, since he wasn't working at inXile anymore when I asked, so he probably felt like it wasn't his place to talk about that, or he really didn't know), and my thread in the official inXile forums is blessed with a telling silence.

I'll try to remember to ask about this if I get the chance.

Arvan Eleron

Literate
Updating this: it looks like the interview with the Torment folks (Colin again, Patrick Rothfuss, and Monte Cook) should be happening on my channel a week from tomorrow, March 10th, at 8 p.m. EST (still a bit fuzzy on time, but I believe that should be right). Also, I don't know how to contact Infinitron or the powers that be directly, but if you guys are interested, I thought I'd mention that I just chatted last night with Nathan Long about Wasteland 2 (and a bit about Torment and Bard's Tale IV) on my Pen & Pixels show, which I do every Tuesday at GOG's Twitch channel. It's archived here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlpViztcvw .

--Arv

sstacks

Arcane
Updating this: it looks like the interview with the Torment folks (Colin again, Patrick Rothfuss, and Monte Cook) should be happening on my channel a week from tomorrow, March 10th, at 8 p.m. EST (still a bit fuzzy on time, but I believe that should be right). Also, I don't know how to contact Infinitron or the powers that be directly, but if you guys are interested, I thought I'd mention that I just chatted last night with Nathan Long about Wasteland 2 (and a bit about Torment and Bard's Tale IV) on my Pen & Pixels show, which I do every Tuesday at GOG's Twitch channel. It's archived here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhlpViztcvw .

--Arv

Fantastic lineup Arv, good on ya. I remember you wondering how I got my guests, you've got nothing to worry about :P

Arvan Eleron

Literate
Just a friendly bump to remind everyone that my chat with Shanna Germain, Monte Cook, and Patrick Rothfuss regarding Torment: TON is happening tonight at 8:30 p.m. EST on my Twitch channel. Please stop by if you're interested!

--Arv
http://www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron

Arvan Eleron

Literate

--Arv

Fantastic lineup Arv, good on ya. I remember you wondering how I got my guests, you've got nothing to worry about :P

Aw, thanks, man. :)

--Arv

Arvan Eleron

Literate
Just a friendly bump to remind everyone that my chat with Shanna Germain, Monte Cook, and Patrick Rothfuss regarding Torment: TON is happening tonight at 8:30 p.m. EST on my Twitch channel. Please stop by if you're interested!

--Arv
http://www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron

No Colin?

No--we decided that since Colin had already been on, we wanted to get other people from the crew a chance to weigh in. This is going to be more about worldbuilding and translating an imagined world to a game medium, at least in theory.

--Arv

sstacks

Arcane
Arv's twitch stream is live now with Monte Cook, Shanna Germain and Patrick Rothfuss among others:
https://www.twitch.tv/arvaneleron

A lot of the discussion is re: Numenera as a game in general, but Patrick Rothfuss for example wrote some of the story for T:TON.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom