Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

a cut of domestic sheep prime

been updating myself of D&D history, or should I say: the D&D shitshow that's happened 3+.

good grief. bhaal and the dead 3 being alive and mortal again is just the tip of the iceberg.

it seems that 5 fixed a lot of the massive decline from 4, but there are a number of things that make no sense to me.

Shouldn't ending the blood war by casting the void into the elemental chaos mean that devils should be wrecking the planes or at least invading Faerun? I thought that the power struggle between devils and demons were basically the whole reason they were kept in check. Without their eternal war and now that they're lead by an actual deity, devils should be completely OP, shouldn't they?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
We are gonna be lucky if we are able to control anything our party members are doing.
yyxVw2G.jpg

party member control confirmed
We will be lucky if it is even remotely close to skyrim. NWN2 has the worst AI i have seen in my life,it is really strange how every time i replay it i could never remember how bad it was the last time. It is sooooo bad that my brain see it as a trauma experience and erase it from the memory archive. And i am not exaggerating,i am replaying the game...now.

also, the more I learn about mind flayers, the more I want a game where you play one.

Myrkul was restored as a god after the Second Sundering, Bane was a god long before that, and Bhaal was just resurrected.
that's what the clueless guy from the video said. I haven't gotten to that part yet, but I'm just comparing my reaction to other things to that.

I'll have to take a look.

edit: it could also be that this is set in the time before Myrkul and Bane are restored fully.

Fairfax

Arcane
it seems that 5 fixed a lot of the massive decline from 4, but there are a number of things that make no sense to me.

Shouldn't ending the blood war by casting the void into the elemental chaos mean that devils should be wrecking the planes or at least invading Faerun? I thought that the power struggle between devils and demons were basically the whole reason they were kept in check. Without their eternal war and now that they're lead by an actual deity, devils should be completely OP, shouldn't they?
I believe 5E retconned what 4E did with the Blood War. The conflict is back and largely simplified (compared to AD&D). The main addition was the "Balance", a TN group (with "Mordenkainen and his compatriots" being some of the members) that manipulates the conflict to maintain balance in the cosmos.

Ah, so you're basing it on that interview...no, he's just full of shit and doesn't know what he's saying. He's also mixing up the Dead Three first becoming gods, the Avatar Crisis, and the Second Sundering, with a hefty dose of bullshit.
yeah, but what was the stuff he said about the gods all going away with Ao?

according to him, they're all leaving Faerun and the only way for them to stay is as mortal beings. A 2nd avatar crisis of sorts.

Ah, so you're basing it on that interview...no, he's just full of shit and doesn't know what he's saying. He's also mixing up the Dead Three first becoming gods, the Avatar Crisis, and the Second Sundering, with a hefty dose of bullshit.
yeah, but what was the stuff he said about the gods all going away with Ao?

according to him, they're all leaving Faerun and the only way for them to stay is as mortal beings. A 2nd avatar crisis of sorts.

No, he's just an idiot.
which is really concerning, given that, according to him, the dead 3's "plan" to deal with their being mortal is a major plot point of the game.

that and all the ilithid floating around in broad daylight was more than a little concerning. aren't they supposed to be really sensitive to light?

how hard is it to have even on lore nerd to check this stuff out before building/marketing a game around it?

Thonius

Arcane
also, the more I learn about mind flayers, the more I want a game where you play one.
Oh cmon you can expect mind flayer companion, that's a given, a bit of cliche still interesting enough to see.

Minsc will serve as a true companion litmus test. If he's in, that means that either the story is directly related to the Bhaalspawn Crisis and/or the game will be full of refernces to the previous games, with Minsc as a major source of anectodes/stories/references.
Bruh I don't care. If it would be possible and if I will have bg3( not a solid fact might be to shitty to be pirated) I'll just kill him or drop out of the party.

Minsc will serve as a true companion litmus test. If he's in, that means that either the story is directly related to the Bhaalspawn Crisis and/or the game will be full of refernces to the previous games, with Minsc as a major source of anectodes/stories/references.
dude. the bhaalspawn saga was, what, 100+ years before 5e? Unless Minsc became undead or took a really long nap, even the daisies he's been pushing up are dead.

I really doubt WotC is going to want to license a new game set in an old ruleset.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Irenicus returning (with the same voice actor) would be fun if done right... not that I have any hope it be done right. L0L

Make him grudgingly team up with the PC to return to the world of the living and manipulate the PC to attacking all good/surface elves/drow he sees if they want to keep the powerful archmage in their party. L0L

Anyways, they gonna fuck it up. Like I said earlier, I'm expecting at beast a playable game. I certainly don't expect a classic continuation. They have already bashed the BG series and D&D pnp so fuck em.

It is why in retrospect I'm glad Sawyer never got to make BG3: Blackhound considering how much he loathes BG2. If you are gonna bash something nonstop you shouldn't be working on it.

That is like me working on an ES series and then promptly changing everything that makes ES (because I loathe those games)… epopel be like WTF?

Oh cmon you can expect mind flayer companion, that's a given, a bit of cliche still interesting enough to see.
is it a given? I really doubt it, but it might be entertaining as an HK-47 type of dark horse companion.

your party memebers' reaction banter when he starts eating brains after a battle would be pretty priceless.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"dude. the bhaalspawn saga was, what, 100+ years before 5e? Unless Minsc became undead or took a really long nap, even the daisies he's been pushing up are dead."

Dude. You are being as ignorant as Larian is. LMAO

Dude. You are being as ignorant as Larian is. LMAO
how so? serious question. I will admit to not knowing the setting as well as some of you, but then I am not the one designing a D&D game here.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Someone posted this tweet in the comments section of Lilura's blog though I don't believe I've seen it here. Edit: oh it was posted, but I messed up the search string. No matter, I quoted it so it's preserved.

https://twitter.com/adamofadventure/status/1136878389082460162

For BGIII I had the great privilege to travel to Ghent to work at @larianstudios alongside the amazing @LarAtLarian, Jan Van Dosselaer, @ColinMcComb and the mind-blowing creative team. It was a dream experience I’ll never forget.

Lee wrote https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Out_of_the_Abyss and possibly other D&D materials. Dosselaer's involvement's no surprise since he's been Larian's lead guy since Divinity 2, I imagine quite a few of you are going to be irate that McComb got to sink his claws in this before he left/was kicked out.

Last edited:

Minsc got turned to stone or some shit and thus survived all these years.
yeah, that could work, I guess. It'd be pretty fitting. though explaining why he was no longer a level 40 would be lame.

tbh, I'm so tired of him that I never take him with me any more on replays though. including him would be an eye roller for me.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I guess my jokes concerning Neera and Rasaad are turning out to be more relevant than I thought.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Second_Sundering

The Second Sundering brought significant changes to how the deities approached mortals. Many gods became "quieter" than before, causing the emergence of new priesthoods in an attempt to explain the different divine behaviour in the post-Sundering world.[26] That, however, did not mean that deities no longer interacted directly with mortals. Mystra was still able to directly commune with her remaining Chosen,[35] while Eilistraee and Vhaeraun personally announced their return to the Realms, manifesting through their avatars to their followers.[36]Eilistraee, in particular, was seen dancing and speaking to mortals in many places, especially along the Sword Coast (including Waterdeep, where she was witnessed dancing under the walls of the city in 1491 DR).[35] The Mulhorandi gods still ruled among their people, directly interacting with them like the god-kings of old.[39]

Gods have, to an extent, withdrawn from the world, ushering in a kind of 'Age of Mortals.' They are no longer speaking directly to most of their worshipers, instead sending signs and portents; e.g. In the Rise of Tiamat storyline, Tiamat's followers are doing all of the work to bring her onto the Material Plane, whereas before the Second Sundering, she likely would have sent an avatar to do some of the work.
Ok, I thnk I understand a bit more abot what the guy was saying/misinterpreting.

No. A wild mage accidentaly cast a spell on Minsc's statue in Baldur's Gate. This resurrected Minsc/recreated him/made a simulacra - this hasn't been explained yet. Either way, he's alive.
oh wow, I thought you were joking.
Sometime in the 1480s DR, Minsc mysteriously returned. The Beloved Ranger was accidentally struck by a wild magic surge caused by the wild mage Delina, as a result of an attempt to cast a spell at an attacking gargoyle. The surge breathed life into the statue and caused it to transform into Minsc and Boo. The pair joined up with the thieves Krydle and Shandie to battle the Cult of the Dragon. Coran, now a member of the [1]
I guess I should have expected the setting that kept boring characters like Drizzt and Elminster around for decades would want to bring back BG's number one cliche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom