Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Shadowrun modules/adventures

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What are the best/must-run Shadowrun modules and adventures?

Ulminati, Darth Roxor, Jaedar - any others who play SR?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I always make my own scenarios so I can't help you there.

But there's always Renraku Arcology Shutdown.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I've only played the scenarios Roxor made, so I can't help you either.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't tell me, Grunker. You're starting another campaign? In Shadowrun?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Don't tell me, Grunker. You're starting another campaign? In Shadowrun?

Hey man, I just updated the LP with Session #17 and we're playing this friday as well! :D

In reality, I'm looking for stuff for a one-shot scenario, not a campaign. My family just acquired a country house and I'm looking to abuse it for a 3-day P&P extravaganze with some mates.

agris: Thanks, buddy!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, you was thinking about GMing Shadowrun at the same time as me. Fucking coincidence. Now, I'm doing a forum PBF for my group in Shadowrun.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just got done reading Renraku Arcology Shutdown... well, that was unexpectedly underwhelming :(

Spoilers:

The setup is glorious of course, but then it just proceeds so by-the-numbers it's almost baffling. What finally pushed me to invest the time in reading it was a review that talked about all the twists and turns the story allegedly takes, but he must have read something else. What I read was:

1) AI takes over facility.
2) AI experiments on population.
3) The end.

I am completely oblivious to what "twists" and "surprises" the reviewer was talking about. Literally nothing is described except a ton of different ways in which the AI experiments. I'm not kidding. Probably half the book is walking through how the population of SCIRE is being treated, but no interesting setups for runs, moral conflicts, roleplaying or much else.

The AI's reasoning for conducting all the experiments is almost biowarian in its "oh we can't possibly begin to understand such a complex being!"-vagueness.

There are a few neat ideas, but not nearly enough meat for something that's supposedly one of the greatest run settings. I've read small fan-written runs with more creativity.

When I play PF or D&D I pretty much expect by-the-numbers stuff that I can run in my sleep, that's pretty much why I play it. For something like Shadowrun it ain't enough.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Grunker
Deus' experiments on the people in Renraku archology was actually hiding parts of his programming in them. Then once they got out and logged on to the matrix, the fragments of Deus got reassembled. The whole arcology takeover was for the AI to escape renraku. Anyway, high point of RAS is the vampire koalas. :P

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Googling some more it seems I'm not alone with my criticism. Also, what is it with Shadowrun settings and adventures being more interested in its fictional badass runners than the players? Not even Forgotten Realms source material have this problem to such a degree.

Ah well. I gotta find something to play on saturday and I'm running out of time. Worst case scenario is running a Pathfinde adventure I know by heart, but I'd really like to play something else. Any ideas bros? Does't have to be Shadowrun, I just don't have the time to create something from scratch myself.

Ulminati: that's a p. cool reason, but unfortunately it doesn't make the 90 pages I just consumed more readily usable :/

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Grunker - it's been a while and I mostly ran homebrew.

The Universal Brotherhood -> Bug City adventures were quite good. But SRR kind of spoiled the twist for new people now. Queen euphoria was also nice. Late SR3/Early SR4 had some intended-for-cons oneshot missions you could eventually string together into a campaign, and some of those were quite good. I can try to rake my brain, but I'm pretty distracted/stressed at the moment. Any paticular edition of SR you're planning to run?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ nope, I'm flex and have access to most stuff. Basically I've gathered people for a small one-shot on saturday and have a few days set aside to prepare. Not enough to start from scratch but enough to plan so ething prewritten well.

I have only one player who's played Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

KamelĂĄsĂĄ!
Patron
Universal brotherhood and bug city are the classics then. You know the deal. Help yourself charity hosts evil bug spirits that want to wear your flesh, shit gors south, city gets nuked by ares.

But if you're looking to run a one-shot, dig through the shadowrun missions archive since those are specifically designed to work as oneshots.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just got done reading Renraku Arcology Shutdown... well, that was unexpectedly underwhelming :(

Spoilers:

The setup is glorious of course, but then it just proceeds so by-the-numbers it's almost baffling. What finally pushed me to invest the time in reading it was a review that talked about all the twists and turns the story allegedly takes, but he must have read something else. What I read was:

1) AI takes over facility.
2) AI experiments on population.
3) The end.

I am completely oblivious to what "twists" and "surprises" the reviewer was talking about. Literally nothing is described except a ton of different ways in which the AI experiments. I'm not kidding. Probably half the book is walking through how the population of SCIRE is being treated, but no interesting setups for runs, moral conflicts, roleplaying or much else.

The AI's reasoning for conducting all the experiments is almost biowarian in its "oh we can't possibly begin to understand such a complex being!"-vagueness.

There are a few neat ideas, but not nearly enough meat for something that's supposedly one of the greatest run settings. I've read small fan-written runs with more creativity.

When I play PF or D&D I pretty much expect by-the-numbers stuff that I can run in my sleep, that's pretty much why I play it. For something like Shadowrun it ain't enough.
Read the adventure Brainscan, it is in there where the conclusion of the story happens. The archology shutdown book is just backstory. Deus was trying to escape the Renraku mainframe and the only way to do it was by dividing itself and try to get out on a discreet fashion or Renraku would capture it again.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Wait, what? You create your own modules? Links please?

Well, I've only made one for Shadowrun, unfortunately, which I thought turned out p. fun, but for some reason we've never played it again (I blame faggoted players not liking the ruleset :argh: ). It's pretty basic because it was the first one to familiarise ourselves with all the stuff, so it kind of lacks a focus on magix/astral spehs because it had a decent amount of matrixing (magix were supposed to come up in scenario02.txt) and the .txt has lots of mental shortcuts that might be comprehensible only to me, so idk if it's worth putting up for all to see. It involved stealing an experimental submarine from Dubai, though, which I thought was hella cool \^____^/

I even made a setting.doc with lots of silly pop culture references that was supposed to fit an entire campaign. But it didn't, so it didn't, to quote a classic. Here's a rink: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee392rpmrd40gdz/Dubai.doc?dl=0

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well, I've only made one for Shadowrun, unfortunately, which I thought turned out p. fun, but for some reason we've never played it again (I blame faggoted players not liking the ruleset :argh: ). It's pretty basic because it was the first one to familiarise ourselves with all the stuff, so it kind of lacks a focus on magix/astral spehs because it had a decent amount of matrixing (magix were supposed to come up in scenario02.txt) and the .txt has lots of mental shortcuts that might be comprehensible only to me, so idk if it's worth putting up for all to see. It involved stealing an experimental submarine from Dubai, though, which I thought was hella cool \^____^/

I even made a setting.doc with lots of silly pop culture references that was supposed to fit an entire campaign. But it didn't, so it didn't, to quote a classic. Here's a rink: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ee392rpmrd40gdz/Dubai.doc?dl=0
But we also played the one were we raided some corporatation RnD site and ran into a hostile runner team. Was that one premade?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Welp, can't help you with finding pre-made scenarios. I never use them, ever. Even now, my first time DMing a campaing in 5th Edition rules, I don't use anything from scenarios, some fluff from the pdfs and Dragonfall. The campaign will go slow and the premise is "fucked up". Aztechnology found the heart of Nachtmeister, a dragon killed by Lofwyr. They want to experiment with the Matrix and create a E-Ghost out of him, so they search for young Technomancer to kidnap and revive the dragon. Of course, it will go horribly wrong. For now, the players are helping by kidnapping a kid. :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I basically divide campaigns/games into to sections:

- there's serious shit that I dedicate myself too. This is always custom made or heavily tailored modules in a sandbox framework where player's give direction and have agency. Examples are my period spanning Vampire campaign, my Witcher campaign and a non-fantasy political campaign I'm running concerning power play in the European Union.

- then there's "well nobody wants to gm so I guess I'll take a module and mod it". That would be your Way of the Wickeds, Citadel of Pains and now soon to be Shadowruns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom