Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG (with Tales of SC) - recommended patch/mod suite needed

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Installing the thing for the first time in ages. Recommendations more than welcome (note bg2 not installed).

Have official patch and a directX patch, what else should I put on?

Kizmiaz

Novice
Well, AFAIK nothing.
I tried the "Dark side of the Sword Coast" once but it was more or less a bunch of cheats, IMHO, so I lost interest.
Hmm, the DirectX patch is only needed for multiplayer, or am I wrong?
BTW, please tell me if you find a working no-CD patch. I might consider giving this one a go again.

Deathboy

Liturgist
If you have BG2 then I recomend BG trilogy it's a mere 600M down load, some people will inform you that BG tutu is just as good and only a few Meg. They both allow you to use BG2 engine, higher res, two weapon combo etc....

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
I do have BG2 but my gf's HD is a little limited right now. She would kill me if her music collection accidentally got deleted :wink:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've now got my fingers crossed that I get a version which will actually play (could only find the infamous BG, TotSC multipack available in the UK - many copies of it are unplayable..).

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
"the infamous BG, TotSC multipack available in the UK - many copies of it are unplayable"

Where'd you hear that? First time I hear of any of them being unplayable. Why exactly would they be unplayable?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Taluntain said:
"the infamous BG, TotSC multipack available in the UK - many copies of it are unplayable"

Where'd you hear that? First time I hear of any of them being unplayable. Why exactly would they be unplayable?

The publisher forgot to put all the information onto many of the disks; usually the folders containing discs 3,4 and 5 are missing. It's the main reason I put off replacing my original copy.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Rather strange that we haven't had anyone complaining about it on our forums... heh. But anyway, can't you take it back to have it replaced if you get a faulty version?

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
It's been a problem for two years..

cf http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.htm ... 6&forum=11

Not sure whether it was just one dodgy batch which is still reappearing but several of my friends just gave up after a few attempts to get hold of a working copy.

I can send it back and get a new one, but by that time total postage for the game costs 1/2 the original price of the game, and there's no guarantee that the new copy will not have the same problem. (I live in one of the biggest cities in the UK and no shops now actually stock the game so I have to order online).

It wouldn't be an issue if I could P2P it, but my university firewall prevents that :?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Ah, I see. Well, get someone in the US to mail you the US version of the combo, that one should be ok. It'll cost you a bit more, buy hey...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom