Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News BioWare Donates To Charity

taks

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
Wow. I always wondered what kind of cynicism it would take to have someone deride charity as a "cheap PR trick" or nothing more than a tax grab. I guess now I have my answer.
you guys are the big boys on the block... it doesn't take much for people to see any of your actions as having some agenda. nobody likes the winner.

taks

Jinxed

Liturgist
taks said:
you guys are the big boys on the block... it doesn't take much for people to see any of your actions as having some agenda. nobody likes the winner.

taks

Bioware, teh winnars!

Well excluding the presentation and all, it's nice they donated. Their games still suck however.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't know what kind of fucked up person could be so cynical that he or she gets pissed off at the thought of the existence of a charitable corporation like Bioware. I guess now I have my answer. Some of you people disgust me.

Unless you donate to charity, I suggest you shut the fuck up.

Jinxed

Liturgist
If you want an answer you can ask any clear headed person what they think about charity.

It's not the fact that someone gives money to those who need it, it's the matter of how it is conducted in. It's a self serving action as well. You don't need to be cynical to know that no one gives money for free. It's a calculated financial move. Whatever charity is done it's supposed to come back to where it came from, in one way or another. There are a few certain exceptions.

Now as people already pointed out, it's the press release that's the eye brow raiser here, no one is willing to debate that charity = evil, because at the end of the day the poor people still get the help, nevermind the fact that whatever charity donor it may be, it usually profits from it in some way.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It has nothing to do with Bioware donating money, it has to do with the self-fellating nature of that press release."

That's right. It's better that BIO and others who donate should be ASHAMED of donating and not say they donated. Make it a top secret conspiracy. To me, i couldn't care what someone does when they donate.

"It's a self serving action as well. "

Self serving? Exactly how is this slef sevring? So, they save a couple of dollars in taxes. Big friggin' whoop. This isn't gonna make them any more real money nor are their games gonna sell more copies because of this. This is as far from self serving as me throwing shit on your face. It gives me nothing. Not even pleasure.

Bunch of dinks. Waaaa! BIo donated money and told people about it = bad. I mean, it's better to keep it a shaemful secret.

R00fles!

Morons. Absolute morons.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
ichpokhudezh said:
You come come off as a tax-illiterate person. Although out-of-pocket expense is usually lower that the donated amount, _cash_ donations cannot earn you money (even on gambling money).
Maybe you should brush up on your tax code before talking bullshit. I did a quick search of the web to find an article regarding charitable giving and the extension regarding the tsunami. I took the first article I came up with, and I got this. I'll give you a choice quote regarding the issue you pointed out:

The article said:
Specific requirements for tsunami gifts
Taxpayers who hope to benefit from the temporary deduction change need to be aware that in addition to applying only to donations earmarked for tsunami relief, the measure also has some other specific conditions.

Only cash contributions made through the end of January will be allowed to be deducted on 2004 returns.
So what were you saying again?

ichpokhudezh said:
One need to engage in a 'get low-give high' scheme to get money out of donations, so I say let them give for as long as they can/want.

That is only a question if you are recieving something in return. If you give money to a charity in the form of a raffle ticket, and you win a prize, you have to deduct the fair market value of the prize from the donation. So next time get your facts straight before trying to call someone "tax illiterate".

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Volourn said:
"It has nothing to do with Bioware donating money, it has to do with the self-fellating nature of that press release."

That's right. It's better that BIO and others who donate should be ASHAMED of donating and not say they donated. Make it a top secret conspiracy. To me, i couldn't care what someone does when they donate.

Who the fuck said they should be ashamed for donating? Just as has been mentioned, the content of the press release uses a number of "cheap PR tricks". If anything, that's what they should be ashamed of. Especially the part about acting as a sponsor for an event that raised $375,000 and not mentioning how much they contributed. That just smacks of trying to be misconcieved and attributing the money all to Bioware. Though in Bioware's defense I've seen that same tactic from other companies, celebrities, etc, but it always grates on my nerves a bit.

As you've mentioned countless times, they get no monetary benefit from announcing something like this. So what exactly do they get out of showing they are "the benefactors of the poor and helpless"? Seems to me they are just getting an ego stroke, at least that's what I think.

Anyway I'm tired of debating this, if you guys are happy with the press release than I'm glad it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I guess the problem is my belief that too much pride and excessive boasting is a bad thing. Maybe I'm just being too naive.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Ok, this thread is really fucking annoying.

dojoteef said:
I guess the problem is my belief that too much pride and excessive boasting is a bad thing. Maybe I'm just being too naive.

Actually, you're spot fucking on and those criticizing you have their heads up their collective asses. Bioware is exactly like countless other worldwide corporate douche bags who feel the need to EXPLOIT any tragedy by seeking publicity for their charitable actions. What these fucks don't seem to comprehend is the very nature of CHARITY is based on a presumption of HUMILITY, to elaborate, " Those who have unlimited wealth, or those who give to persons in need out of sheer goodwill do so without the thought some kind of reciprocation." Here is a personal example: My company donates to various charities all year long, We NEVER send out PR releases about them and YES every charitable donation we make is tax deductible. Should we be involved in a charitable event and IF those running that event CHOOSE to mention our company in their own press release about their event, then that's fine. We don't do it ourselves and amounts donated are not made public.

D Gaider said:
I guess it's not okay to provide an example to other companies or maybe put out some industry-related news that isn't just about violence in games and other negative crap.

Sounds like typical self-congratulatory OPRAH style BS.

TRANSLATION-

"Our PR people are pretentious self serving whores who would suck their own cocks on the 50 yard line during Super Bowl half-time to get us more attention. This Tsunami Charity PR idea was actually was thought up by the same person who decided to start calling our games BLOCKBUSTERS long before they are released."

What-the-fuck-ever, by all means PLEASE GIVE but by looking for a pat on the back what you deserve is a kick in the ass.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
dojoteef said:
And I don't know if this is the case for the Canadian tax code, but here in the US, Congress passed a bill extending the filing deadline for the 2004 tax year of charitable giving until Jan. 31st instead of the Dec. 31st deadline specifically for the tsunami relief. Considering that many of Bioware's fans are in the US, they could mention that if they are indeed putting out a call to action.

We're not "putting out a call to action". We're responding to one. And what the hell? The reason the donation is going out now is because the disaster happened at Christmas and we employees didn't get back into work until Jan. 3rd and that's when we decided to do something. If Bioware gets a tax credit this year, good for them. If not, I'm sure they can wait until next year. That's so not the point it's not even funny.

Instead what they do comes off sounding like pompous boasting. That's my only problem with it. I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to claim that giving money to help relief funds is PR or that it makes a difference where the relief is coming from for those in need. People are instead taking issue with the nature of the press release. That's it.

So Bioware tries to be a good corporate citizen and show the world that a computer game company might actually give a shit and that makes us pompous? Whatever. You want to take issue with the press release, which is just like every other press release out there? You do that. In fact, I hope you choke on it.

Jed

Cipher
I'm not weighing in on the "charity press release" per se, but I think a lot of the negative reaction here is less indicative of the cynicism of the posters than it is of how sick of hype from game companies we all are. BioWare is extremely guilty of this--I mean, your website even declares Dragon Age (a game nowhere near release) a "blockbuster," for chrissakes. And that's just for starters...

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Dgaider said:
So Bioware tries to be a good corporate citizen and show the world that a computer game company might actually give a shit and that makes us pompous?

Absolutely pompous. Why not just lend your support to numerous charity events going on? Why mention the amounts donated? Why not put a free banner add for the Red Cross on your HIGHLY trafficed website to encourage donations? Why not put a news piece on your site that says-

"Hi, we have 2 million + regristered gamers we looking for help to raise money for Tsumani Relief, please donate."

There are shitload of things you could do that have alot more class and don't make you like shameless publicity seekers. In short, lose your PR person making these stupid decisions they suck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"My company donates to various charities all year long, We NEVER send out PR releases about them and YES every charitable donation we make is tax deductible. Should we be involved in a charitable event and IF those running that event CHOOSE to mention our company in their own press release about their event, then that's fine. We don't do it ourselves and amounts donated are not made public."

That's because your company is ashmed of donating. It only donates for the tax beneifts, and doens't give a shit about the charities. That's why they hide it. Theya re ashamed. BIO cares about the charities so they publicizie it so people know they exist.

You see, no matter how you slice it, *anythinG* can be twisted to mean what it doesn't.

What this comes down to is you hate BIo so you'll find any exuse to bash them. That is because you are an idiot.

Then again, youa re the one who made the preidction that NWN would have died by now yet it still goes strong. Keep up the good work. Sherriff Nothingsham.

R00fles!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm willing to bet a lot of money that if Troika came out and mentioned how they donated money every single one of you dipshits who are condemning Bioware for their charitable actions would be lining up to suck some sloppy penis.

I think Volourn made things pretty clear when he said that the only companies who are ashamed of donating and hide that fact are the ones who do it for tax benefits and not for any altruistic reasons. BioWare's likely doing it out of the goodness of their hearts (they're run by a couple of doctors who designed medical software for God's sakes) and they aren't ashamed of their charitable actions. Why should they hide that fact? They've got no hidden agenda.

Again, all of this comes down as an excuse to bash BioWare. If it were Troika, this thread would be of an entirely different nature.

While I appreciate DGaider's candor to the situation, I can't say the same for most of you who are 'up in arms' over this whole thing, because you're not being exactly honest.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Some people seriously need to get laid."

Yes, espiciailly me. Cum to my place and we can fix that.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Exit said:
I think Volourn made things pretty clear when he said that the only companies who are ashamed of donating and hide that fact are the ones who do it for tax benefits and not for any altruistic reasons.

How narrowly mindedly volo-style stupid of you to assume that if you aren't bragging about your charitable donations, you're only doing it for the tax break.
I guess that's kind of along the same lines as your "I hate all flips" mentality? For an educated man your social retardation is astounding.

BioWare's likely doing it out of the goodness of their hearts (they're run by a couple of doctors who designed medical software for God's sakes) and they aren't ashamed of their charitable actions. Why should they hide that fact? They've got no hidden agenda.

A charitable donations premise is ALTRUISTIC, the nature of a press release is SELF SERVING. Put them together recklessly and it doesn't look good.

While I really don't doubt the actual motivation that inspired the idea it's obvious some poor decisions with made in regards to public relations as I said above there is ZERO mention on Bioware's site about it they could easily do so much more with their fanbase resources and influence.

I also don't get the whole "If Troika did this it be whole different story" that bullshit is so tired and lame it's laughable. Anyone with a shred of actual experience in dealing with charities would/ should feel the exact same way regardless. I'm just commenting on the stupidity of the public relations aspect of this and Gaiders self congratulatory indigancy after being called on it. If it didn't strike a nerve why did he even respond to Dojo's posts? Let's not forget Jed's point about Bioware's trend of neverending PR diarreah.

In short, Bioware a great idea, but poorly implemeted and not handled well , just like NWN.

By the way, Rex you started this thread what were you looking for?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"That would be a true act of charity."

Yes, and, it should be given credit (or ridicule) for such noble charity

"How narrowly mindedly volo-style stupid of you to assume that if you aren't bragging about your charitable donations, you're only doing it for the tax break."

the same can be said of the reverse.

Now stop crying,a nd go back and suck Troika's dick while playing TOEE.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Exitium said:
I'm willing to bet a lot of money that if Troika came out and mentioned how they donated money every single one of you dipshits who are condemning Bioware for their charitable actions would be lining up to suck some sloppy penis.

Stop lying.

Next. :arrow:

r00fles! :roll:

Maverjck

Novice
C'mon folks

I've been a lurker for 18 months and I've really enjoyed the RPGCodex. I've been an RPG guy for 20 years, which is pretty good for a 30 year old guy.

I finally decided to register when the read the "Bioware donates to tsunami victims" thread.

I enjoy Bioware games more than not, which I guess makes me a chump to some of the Codex readers. There are ups and downs to Bioware games (like all developer's games), but to ridicule them for issuing a press release on donations to tsunami victims? Or to cheapen their sacrifice by labelling it a "PR stunt" or a "cheap tax deduction?"

I don't know how many of the Codex readers are Canadian (I'm not), but my understanding is that the Bioware Corp (and it's Canadian shareholders and Canadian executives) already pay quite a bit in taxes to the Canadian government.

If they happen to get a deduction from their already high taxes (and fund an altrusitic cause), so be it. And what for-profit entiity does not publicize ALL their good works, altruistic or not?

I suppose I can appreciate the criticism of Bioware's RPG "pedigree," but to criticize thier corporate giving (i.e., reducing thier corporate profits) and their employee's giving (i.e., reducing their families' disposable income) is the height of hypocrisy.

I confess, I try to keep as much of my own income as possible to take care of my own family. It's nice that the US and Oregon state tax code give me small rewards for donating to chariityl, which makes it easier. But I'm still paying more money out of my family coffers every time I give; to maximize my gains I should put the charity donations in my own 401(K) or in a money market; I never make up the donations on taxes.

I challenge all the critics in this area to show how much they've given to tsunami victims, or any other charity. It ain't easy giving up your dough.

Kudos to Bioware and their employees.

And may they take the best of fan criticism and make the best games because of it.

Best,

Greenskin13

Erudite
Come on, brothas. Dig deep.

Maverjck said:

Yeeehaw! Represent!

Well, I can't say that Bioware's intentions were self-serving without making an ad hominem-ish claim, but I do hope that their reasons were because they felt some sort of moral obligation to aid the victims and not to bank on some PR gag or tax credit thingy. Intent is fairly important to me, since it would show if Bioware's actions were noble or not. If we stripped away the PR and the tax business, would Bioware still donate is my question. Of course, it's more rhetorical than it is Socratic.

This is interesting, really. I recently read 'Famine, Affluence, and Morality' by Peter Singer shortly before the tsunami hit. He has some extreme views on the concept of charity (very far to the left), but I found myself stumbling to attack it without resorting to the old "Human nature/It'll never work," tripe.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
You know, I really could care less about the press release thing. I just saw a chance to pull a Volourn-ism on Exit and took it. :P

But seriously, so they could have used a bit more tact in the press release, doesn't mean I'm gonna call them out on bad PR decisions or anything. The tsunami was one of the biggest world disasters to happen in a long time and alot of people felt the impact of it, including myself here in the states.

So, they donated money and made an announcement about it. Pfffft. What's the big deal? Just tell whoever made the press release to use a bit more tact in his wording next time. Other than that, no harm done really.

kris

Arcane
Bioware must be evil indeed with this nefarious scheme of publicity.

I don't get peoples anger over this. It would be worse if they urged people to donate, but said nothing about wether they done it themself. They did give and that is what counts. Makes me think of the bile so many rockstars had to take when they wrote a song for a cause. The press always sounded like some of the people in this thread, talking only about how it could gain the artist and totally ignoring how it could help the cause.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Re: C'mon folks

Maverjck said:
Or to cheapen their sacrifice by labelling it a "PR stunt" or a "cheap tax deduction?"
Wow it always surprises me when people say stupid stuff like this. I never tried to say the only reason they did it was for taxes. You don't lessen the amount of money paid out of pocket that way. You instead get to re-route the money from the taxes to the charity. I never said that was a bad thing, in fact I think it's great that governments allow people to do this; it tends to increase the amount of money given to charities. The argument I made about the taxes is, that every company that's ever spoken to a cpa or tax attorney (everything but the out of home mom and pop places) takes this route so that they can give to the charities they want to instead of putting into taxes, so the people saying Bioware is doing something exceptional by giving are naive. Every company gives, publicizing it is only a means of trying to garner attention! And depending on how you make the contribution, you have the possibility of getting a full 100% tax deduction for your contribution (at least I know this for people in the US, if you give stock you can get a 100% deduction for the value of the stock), so you can end up paying the same amount of money that you would have and not a cent more.

Why don't you guys try to understand the arguments before making ridiculous statements next time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom