Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Bloodmoon gets the nod for best expansion from RPGDot

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I like the way wolves behave in Bloodmoon when they're not aware of you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hey, Otaku, I have no problem with you like ES. I'm not too worried abiut it, and I don't expect you to start hating it just because I do.

Drafted, you are right. Why would I continue to play a game that i hate so much just to experience it more? Hmm... It seems all the games I dislike get better the more you play... right after I quit them. Weird how that works. :lol:

DrattedTin

Liturgist
If you haven't fully played a game, you can't comment on objective parts of why it sucks, really.

That's why I (or Saint Proverbius) can give a detailed account of why Neverwinter Nights was Disappointing, whereas other people would just go, "Hey, it sucks!"

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Hey, Otaku, I have no problem with you like MW. I'm not too worried abiut it, and I don't expect you to start hating it just because I do.

Errr.... I don't like MW. The only thing that saved it for me was the Bloodmoon expansion and only because I love tromping in the snow like some of the others who posted here. I love Daggerfall and felt that Bethesda was spitting on it when they released MW. It took all the good things about DF and left them out and then took all the crap parts of DF and made them worse but with prettier graphics. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's right. I meant the ES series... I should *know* you don't like MW consideirng the discussions we've had. Heh.

Drafted, that's ludricrous. Unlike you; I try to avoid pain if at all possible. I'm not gonna continue playing a game I dislike just so silly people liek you think it's "valid". I play games to enjoy myself and if they ain't enjoyable what's the sense of playing them to the fruitless end unless you are a "professional" reviewer.

That's why I lauigh at people when they say there's nothing good in the NWN OC; but then they say they've completed once (and, in some cases two, three, or more times). It's insane I tell ya! Insane!

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Stop missing the point, please. It's painful. :P

I did not hate the Neverwinter Nights OC. I thought it was mediocre. Overall I liked the game, but I would never have paid money for it... it just doesn't have the spark neccessary to justify a purchase.

Anyway, I think the conclusion, "You cannot objectively judge a game without playing it" is pretty hard to refute. It's one reason a lot of reviews nowadays would be better called first impressions.

It's alright to say you don't like a game. It isn't alright to say that Daggerfall is full of phat lewt, or is too easy, when you don't KNOW that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Actually, I DO know that since I did PLAY the game. You don't have to finish a agme to get the jest of it.

You hating, or liking NWN is irrelaavnt to the point. My point is you don'tnhave to actually finish a agme to discuss certain aspcects of it. To discuss the ending; yes; but not other aspects. Gameplay, ph@t lewt, combat, and interface are all things that can be discussed fairly without actually haven't finished the game. I have never speicifcally satted that I thought DF';s endings ucked, or TOEE's multiple endings were failures since I nver got that far; but I did just DF's gameplay; and my opinion on TOEE's beginnings and combat since I did experience those things. See? Don't miss this point as it's painful. :twisted:

DrattedTin

Liturgist
Uhm... ... ... ... I never said anything about the endings. It SOUNDS to me like you maybe played halfway through one dungeon, then decided DF sucked. To me, this does not give a good knowledge of its gameplay.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Otaku: :twisted:

Drafted: This discussion's beyond you. You missed the point again. The point I'm making is I try not to comment on parts of a game that I didn't play and concentrate on the parts I have. I also try to be honest (unless I'm folling around) and let others know how much of a certain game I've played so they know where I'm coming from. Tsk, tsk.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Realbumpbert said:
Am I the only one who like Morrowind? The mods are so frickin' cool! :P

Thats the problem, though. You liked *the mods*. The game should be great without having fans work for free in improving the game.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Realbumpbert said:

I agree that there are alot of good mods out there. The key problem is that none of them can in anyway change the combat engine. Combat in the game sucks. Daggerfall combat is so way better unless you cheat like a little monkey and make yourself uber powerful. You don't even have to cheat to do that in MW. There are so called "balancing" mods out there that might make the game a little tougher at first, but it still ends up the same: one to two hit kills on just about every monster in the game and lame enemy AI.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Realbumpbert said:

Thats the problem, though. You liked *the mods*. The game should be great without having fans work for free in improving the game.

That is an extremely valid point as well and one of the other reasons I was upset with MW. Daggerfall didn't need mods to be a great game. There ARE mods for it out there, but not much and nothing major, mostly cosmetic changes. Plus, there are quest editors for it to allow you to make your own quests and put them in the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Which is something DF needed.. Better quests; instead of the same quests with different names. :D

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Volourn said:
Which is something DF needed.. Better quests; instead of the same quests with different names. :D

Bethesda themselves released three different quest packs that added TONS of quests to the game. But even before that, there was alot of variety in the quests. It's just that if you did quests for the same faction over and over again, then yeah you were gonna see repeats.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Somehow I didn't feel the hype before Morrowind's release (but then again I had a modem then and didn't spend much time on the net), so I got exactly what I expected, or even more. Face it, combat in Daggerfall wasn't better than in MW. And it had some serious bugs. Even after all the patches, the easiest opponents for my character were Ancient Liches, because they blasted themselves to death not noticing that I have Spell Reflection.
But anyway, it somehow matters for me if the game lives up to the hype that I'm aware of it gets. So NWN was a major disappointment for me. Also NWN without mods = crap imo, while I played Morrowind without mods and had great fun.

Anonymous

Elwro said:
Ancient Liches, because they blasted themselves to death not noticing that I have Spell Reflection.
But anyway, it somehow matters for me if the game lives up to the hype that I'm aware of it gets. So NWN was a major disappointment for me. Also NWN without mods = crap imo, while I played Morrowind without mods and had great fun.

The spell reflection stuff is in Morrowind too, both game's combat sucked.

And NWN with mods sucks too, yay for poorly done conversions of rules. I cant stand Clerics having no domains.

I had the misfortune of being in an urge to try and like Morrowind initially, and I own and finished each expansion and finished the main game. I have a Custom Nord with capped Major and Minor skills. I regret wasting my time on that crap (but hey, atleast I can gripe with proof!).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
LlamaGod said:
I had the misfortune of being in an urge to try and like Morrowind initially, and I own and finished each expansion and finished the main game. I have a Custom Nord with capped Major and Minor skills. I regret wasting my time on that crap (but hey, atleast I can gripe with proof!).

:shock: And i thought i was a sadist for having finished NWN several times.

Still, i can understand how some people can have fun with plain old vanilla MW. It's got a great sense of exploration. Combat, while not exactly great and sometimes overly simplistic, manages to give the chance to use your surroundings as an advantage (not to mention jumping over enemies and land behind them while activating Sneak, leaving them confused and prone to criticals :twisted: ). You can make a living out of skills like Alchemy or Enchanting, too. Its fun in some aspects, and that, i guess, is quite enough for some people.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Role-Player said:
Realbumpbert said:

That is an extremely valid point as well and one of the other reasons I was upset with MW. Daggerfall didn't need mods to be a great game. There ARE mods for it out there, but not much and nothing major, mostly cosmetic changes. Plus, there are quest editors for it to allow you to make your own quests and put them in the game.

Exactly. I shudder to think if this trend spreads out. I'm not keen on having game designers neglect some aspects of their games in favour of toolsets so players can do better than them. Thats one of the major gripes i also had with NWN.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom