Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Camera angle

Severian Silk

Is there any indication in the newly hacked temple files what the exact camera angle the game uses is? Just curious. I like to compare to other games.

Severian Silk

Weird. That is *nearly* 45 degrees, but not quite. I wonder why they chose a non-magic number for the angle. I wonder what the infinity engine used.

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
IIRC it simplifies working with 2D graphics / transformations (the underlying tile size is 20 pixels when viewed from top-down and 14 pixels when viewed in iso mode or something like that). Probably yet another Arcanum engine leftover.
The Infinity Engine uses an exact 45° angle so it's a near match with ToEE anyway.

Severian Silk

So, ToEE uses tiles for movement and such (even if they're not visible)?

Also, it looks like Arcanum uses a much shallower angle than ToEE. Maybe the standard 30 degree angle. Are you sure the angles are the same in Arcanum and ToEE? (I am having trouble checking myself because all the Arcanum screenshots I've found are JPG, and Google no longer allows you to filter out file types.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sitra Achara

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So, ToEE uses tiles for movement and such (even if they're not visible)?
Yes. They're subdivided into very fine tiles however so movement seems continuous, and the display also supports floating point offsets.

Also, it looks like Arcanum uses a much shallower angle than ToEE. Maybe the standard 30 degree angle. Are you sure the angles are the same in Arcanum and ToEE?
No, just guessing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom