Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

In Progress Catacombs of Codexia

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by MercantileInterest, Aug 6, 2018.

  1. TreeInAForestFire Novice

    TreeInAForestFire
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    11
    Resting is a waste of time if you still have all your limbs. 1D.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Usury Arcane

    Usury
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2016
    Messages:
    1,865,218
    Concerned by the tingling in your hands, you spread out your bedroll in the pottery room, attempting to conceal yourself behind the potsherds. The noiseless gloom troubles you greatly but, eventually, sleep comes.

    You awake to the most repugnant stench you have ever smelt, as if you had just smeared your face in a three day's dead horse carcass. You gag, almost to the point of vomiting, before noticing that you are no longer in your bedroll. By flickering candlelight, you notice that tattered rags hanging in long strips have replaced your clothes. A large rusty padlock hangs from an iron cuff about your ankle. When you move, a long chain connecting the cuff to a block on the wall scrapes the paving stones of the floor. Another pile of bones lies all around, each covered in a thousand thousand tiny incisions.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A bearded imp half the height of a man crouches on the other side of a room. He shakes eleven copper groats with three silver shekels out of a leather purse.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The imp drops the purse and scuttles over to the east wall. To your left sits a golden skinned shirtless hominid also chained about the ankle. You can't help but notice his exquisite bowling shoes. A little past him, a portcullis fades into shadow on the north wall. Beyond something huffs. Something immense.

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The imp strains against an iron lever. It creaks and sticks. He puts his back against it and the lever squeaks upwards. The portcullis winches open. Hot putrid breath wafts out like a foul wind. Suddenly, a great green scaled hand thrusts through, seizes the other prisoner, snapping his chain and yanks him into the darkness. A resounding slurp follows. The imps giggles. With a resounding belch and a hail of fleshy gibbets, a stream of stripped bones shoots forth from the hole. Your captor pulls the lever back down and the portcullis crashes shut. The new bones clatter to a stop, all of them covered in a multitude of tiny teeth marks.

    The imp shuffles to the south side of the room, humming a little tune. There sits an oaken desk adorned with two dozen candles. The imp opens a drawer, takes out a tiny vial, pulls out the stopper and swallows the liquid whole. He drops the vial and begins drinking another, still humming.

    A number of vibrant orange mushrooms grow on the stones to your back amongst the mildew. They also reek. A keyring rests on a peg on the east wall. You try to cross the room but the chain stops you well short.

    [​IMG]
    He jerks his thumb at the portcullis and resumes swigging his vials. He has begun to mumble a song. As he drops the vials, some roll about on the floor. Others shatter.

    You pick up a bone longer than any found in a man's body. Straining to the edge of the chain, it is still a few handbreadths' short of reaching the keyring. You sift through the skeletal remains until finding an even longer bone but this too fails to reach.

    action (open)

    1A Beg for mercy.
    1B Try to reason.
    1C Bluff.

    OR

    2A Figure out a way to escape. (You'll have to lay out the steps in your post but it is possible.)

    Updating map and inventory in original post.
     
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ItsChon Cipher Patron

    ItsChon
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    2,065
    Location:
    Երևան
    2A

    Assuming the Imp isn't going to stop me, I'd take the long rags that hang in tatters and attempt to first tear them into long strips, and than I'd use them to tightly tie together the two long bones I've found. I'd use enough rags until I felt the bones were fastened together tightly enough, before reaching trying once again to get the key ring off the peg. The bones would be fastened in a way that made sense, perhaps overlapping them a bit or using one long bone and one shorter bone that weighs less.

    If I perhaps misunderstood the scenario, than 1C.
     
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lithium Flower Magister

    Lithium Flower
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2016
    Messages:
    1,162
    I am enjoying this slashfic greatly.

    1C. Imp diplomacy, engaged. We must grind our social skills lest we end up as a pile of a thousand thousand bones. Besides, he doesn't know who we are and where we came from (do we?) so there is room for bluffing here.
     
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ItsChon Cipher Patron

    ItsChon
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    2,065
    Location:
    Երևան
    I'm not sure if the yes is towards my plans for escape or me just misunderstanding the scenario...guess we'll wait and see. Also, do you have a plan for dealing with ties, in case it comes up?
     
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lithium Flower Magister

    Lithium Flower
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2016
    Messages:
    1,162
    Perhaps it is both? Ah, how devilish that would be...how very MercantileInterest.
     
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. TreeInAForestFire Novice

    TreeInAForestFire
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    11
    Yeah let's try 2a as visualised by Chon. But I vote for 1b if we fail. Remember what happened to the only other straight guy in the room. His fabulous bowling shoes couldn't save him.
     
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dayyālu Arcane

    Dayyālu
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    3,428
    Location:
    Apparently, Black Mesa
    It's like you guys never played a RPG. Seriously, sleepin' in a danger zone that we had not checked properly.

    Chon has proposed the most logical thing. What else there is to consider? The vials on the floor and the mushrooms. I fail to see a way to properly use them, tho. There's also the option of killing the deranged imp, but that would require or a throwing item of adequate size or quality (I doubt we can skewer him with a bone) or to bait him into range and kill him with our hands.

    2A. If it fails, 2C: bluff and try to get him into range for a kill. Ask for a last drink for a condemned man\woman (as our host has not revealed what we are yet.... :lol:)
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,504
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Reinhardt Arcane

    Reinhardt
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2015
    Messages:
    8,504
    2C. Say we have more coins with us hidden "somewhere".
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ItsChon Cipher Patron

    ItsChon
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    2,065
    Location:
    Երևան
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

    Reinhardt
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2015
    Messages:
    8,504
     
    ^ Top  
  13. Dayyālu Arcane

    Dayyālu
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    3,428
    Location:
    Apparently, Black Mesa
    Whoops, I meant 1C.

    Whoooooops. (But making up alternate options should be rewarded!!)
     
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Usury Arcane

    Usury
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2016
    Messages:
    1,865,218
    You tear off strips from your garments and carefully lash together two long bones. The imp glances back but you are keeping your work low to the ground amidst the refuse. You inch towards the keyring. The chain scrapes softly over the paving stones. The captor hops on one foot and chants as he downs yet more vials.

    [​IMG]
    Having reached the end of the chain, you extend the lashed bone. It snags on the keyring and tips it off the peg. The keys crash to the floor. The imp leaps his whole height. You hurry to scrape the keys across the floor like a goodwife sweeping a clod of dirt. Your captor scuttles over and stops. Too late! His ears lie flat across his scalp but a crooked smile forms on his lips.

    [​IMG]
    The strange little figure presses himself against the wall. You try one key, and then another. The imps grunts as he pushes himself against then stones. With a pop, he disappears. The cuff around your ankle snaps off and you examine the wall. Evidently, the imp squeezed through a fissure narrow as the span of your hand.

    +3 XP for clever escape

    [​IMG]
    As you approach the south wall, the candlelight scorches your eyes so badly you feel compelled to snuff out the candles. You find you can still see a short distance in the dark. Your calfskin boots stand to the side of the desk, along with a folded embroidered golden tunic. Leaning against the other side are your shortsword and a dagger with a ruby in the hilt. Several dozen glass vials remain. Atop an obsidian plinth rests a massive ebony tome inscribed with the lettering Apogee Pornographica. It is sealed by metallic clasps with no apparent way to open it. In the drawers, you also find four volumes of The Decline of the Fallout and a hieroglyph emblazoned scroll.

    loot (open)

    Take anything you want.


    You exit the room southwards, entering a long hall with pillars on the opposite side. To both left and right, the passages recede into darkness. To the left, a warpig snuffles, facing away from you. His curly tail perks upright and his flat snout twitches.

    options (open)

    1A Move WEST, away from the warpig.
    1B Greet the warpig.
    1C Attack the warpig. (Attempted backstab)

    Updated the map again. Will update inventory after you decide what to loot.

    Original post now keeps track of XP. For each seven XP, you will level up.

    ItsChon, in the event of a tie, I will roll a die to determine proper course of action. Augury every time.
     
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

    Darth Roxor
    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,872,278
    Location:
    Djibouti
  16. Dayyālu Arcane

    Dayyālu
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2012
    Messages:
    3,428
    Location:
    Apparently, Black Mesa
    Paranoia (and weight limits) are the friend of the adventurer. Take the boots and the tunic to cover ourselves, and the shortsword as a weapon.

    I am ambivalent at taking the scroll or the dagger without proper checking, but better to take them than not. The vials could be anything, and as we lack a bag there's no easy way to bring them with us. Likewise the books.

    LOOT ALL

    1C. Purge the unclean incel.
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

    Delterius
    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2012
    Messages:
    9,534
    Location:
    Entre a serra e o mar.
    1C Put it outs of its misery. By the grace of God.
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Usury Arcane

    Usury
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2016
    Messages:
    1,865,218
    You have access to everything in the room. That includes your discarded leather purse, links of chain leftover from the golden hominid, etc.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. ItsChon Cipher Patron

    ItsChon
    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2018
    Messages:
    2,065
    Location:
    Երևան
    Take all, 1C.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Lithium Flower Magister

    Lithium Flower
    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2016
    Messages:
    1,162
    Take all. At least one of the items is plausibly cursed, but whatever.

    While I am disappointed that we don't want to practice our speechcraft (the most useful skill in catacomb survival I will have you know,) the Path of the Taffer is quite enticing as well. 1C
     
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Reinhardt Arcane

    Reinhardt
    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2015
    Messages:
    8,504
    Take All.
    1C. Slab of bacon too.
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,504
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Take all. 1c
     
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Usury Arcane

    Usury
    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2016
    Messages:
    1,865,218
    The warpig snuffs and sniffs, trotting sideways on his little hoofs. You creep forward, trying to spread the weight on your heels.

    Sneak Roll: 19+ (14 - Failure)

    The warpig trots about but you swing down your shortsword before it can respond.

    1 - Critical Fail

    You somehow manage to slip on a patch of slime. The warpig seizes the opportunity to attack!

    [​IMG]
    20 +2 for Critical Fail makes 22 - Severe Injury

    2!

    The swine's teeth tear a bleeding gnash across your right knee.

    A withered skincrawler howls in from the east. It wears a long robe. Underneath its pale flesh, which whips about like a sheet hung out to dry, may be found only an empty void. An unending senseless babble of stolen words flows from its thin lips. If it can, the skincrawler will envelope you, flay your hide and turn it into another of itself.

    [​IMG]
    The skincrawler falls upon the warpig!

    18 - Entangled

    The skincrawler wraps its crinkled flat hands about the swine.

    The warpig attempts to free itself.

    9 - No Effect

    action (open)

    1A: Continue to fight the skincrawler.
    1B: Flee WEST.
    1C: Try to dash past your foes to the EAST.
    1D: Retreat into the Imp's Lair.
     
    Usury rolled 20-sided di(c)e: Sneaking Total: 14
    Usury rolled 20-sided di(c)e: PC strike against warpig Total: 1
    Usury rolled 20-sided di(c)e: Warpig's strike Total: 29
    Usury rolled 10-sided di(c)e: Injury table Total: 2
    Usury rolled 20-sided di(c)e: Skincrawler's Attack Total: 18
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    15,504
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    1A
     
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

    Darth Roxor
    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1,872,278
    Location:
    Djibouti
    1A

    CLEANSE AND PURIFY
     
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)