Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eldritch (Lovecraftian Thief-Dishonored-esque Roguelike)

nomask7

Arcane
The gameplay does seem fun and fast and varied.

You basically have a tonal 666 there with the f-f-v alliteration, f being the sixth letter of the alphabet and v being pronounced almost like f in English. Numerologically almost there. Good subliminals. :4/5:

Heresiarch

Prophet
- Was reading At the Mountain of Madness for the first time, liked it
- Saw this topic, got excited - Roguelike Dark Corners of the Earth?
- Inconceivable horror of music kicks in
- Incomprehensible evil graphics
- Screams in terror and begs to forget everything just saw/heard

Eyeball

Arcane
Minecraft was fine for what it was, blocky Graphics and all. This is lazy copycat faggotassery, like all the other Minecraft clones out there.

Get off your hipster asses and design some actual Graphics, you fucks.

Alchemist

Arcane
Some gameplay videos are up on Youtube - but be warned - both players are totally spastic and act like they are on cocaine or 10 cups of coffee (WTF is up with that?):

I'm still having trouble seeing any authentic Lovecraftian atmosphere in this. But the game could be fun for what it is.

Eyeball

Arcane
There is none. Ever since Lovecraft's Works have been completely annexed by nerds, "Lovecraftian" now boils Down to "you walk Down an alley. BAM! SHOGGOTH! YOU SCARED NOW, NIGGER!"

Which does, of course, have very Little to do with actual Lovecraft. A real Lovecraftian roguelike would consist of hours of walking around empty catacombs getting increasingly creeped out, discovering a single unspeakable monster from beyond time and promptly going insane. It simple is not a setting designed for rogueliking.

Turjan

Arcane
My first thought was "Prosper made a minecraft mod"? I could have sworn I saw his leafy birds. Or it's my imagination.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
i'm not clicking on RPS. maybe i'll snatch a review copy out of the developer. it looks interesting enough.

Multi-headed Cow

It looks fun enough, but it sounds like not enough variety in levels, items, and enemies. Dude was grossly overstating the horror too.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but does every dude on YouTube have to talk like an '80s FM radio DJ? Or is it John Stewart's influence? No one can just talk like a normal person anymore, it's all "HEEEYYYAAA GUYS!! WOOO! LET'S PLAY SOME ELDRITCH!"

Alchemist

Arcane
Maybe I'm just getting old, but does every dude on YouTube have to talk like an '80s FM radio DJ? Or is it John Stewart's influence? No one can just talk like a normal person anymore, it's all "HEEEYYYAAA GUYS!! WOOO! LET'S PLAY SOME ELDRITCH!"
I agree with you - it's kinda ridiculous. I think they are just trying too hard to become Youtube celebrities / or the next Total Biscuit.

Multi-headed Cow

I dunno bros. Could just be trying to talk in an animated manner to keep your audience engaged. Compare hyper talky voice with the flat, dead, "Lost the will to live" voice most MMO players use while gaming.

ColCol

Arcane
Outside the graphics the game looks pretty good to me. Also,I like that the game isn't leaning too strongly towards the stealth route like a lot of indie stealth games seem to be doing lately (Sir, you are being Hunted). Haven't heard anyone really saying that content is too small, even if it is the game is still in beta.

I would be mad about the game ruining Lovecraft....if nerd culture didn't already do that. Time to move on people, to different horror writers, like Robert Aickman and Thomas Ligotti

Last edited:

ColCol

Arcane
Eh, I'm too lazy to explain, but if you can find any of their short story books near you give them a read.

on a side note, SO, I ordered Eldritch. This guarantees me a steam version if the games makes it to steam, so who may want it? When I receive it I will do a drawing.

ColCol

Arcane
So, the beta just released. Here are some early (random) thoughts.

1. Seems really easy to brute-force your way through most enemies. At one point I was surrounded by 8 fishmen with just a knife and I managed to kill them all really fast. The game's response to this seems to be the inclusion of a few invincible enemies every level. Yet, even these are not much of a threat.
2. The attacks you can perform in the game feel like they have more "weight" than you would expect a game with minecraft graphics to have.
3. The sounds in the game are pretty nice, very atmospheric.
4. Stealth does not seem very useful, mostly because of the random design of the levels.
5. Very small amount of weapons and powers. There are three main weapons plus three one-use thrown objects. You can hold two weapons at a time. There are six powers and you can only use one at a time. The usefulness of the weapons is such that you will probably using the same two weapons throughout the game. The developer seems to have implied that the amount of weapon/power content wont change in the base game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom