Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Expeditions: Viking - historical Viking RPG from Logic Artists

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
I wasn't really too into Conquistador because of the strategy elements. I enjoyed Viking quite a bit as a well done turn based RPG that scratched a Norse itch I wasn't aware I had. I even liked it enough to buy a second copy for a friend to help support Logic Artists, something I normally only do while intoxicated.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I wasn't really too into Conquistador because of the strategy elements. I enjoyed Viking quite a bit as a well done turn based RPG that scratched a Norse itch I wasn't aware I had. I even liked it enough to buy a second copy for a friend to help support Logic Artists, something I normally only do while intoxicated.

If you like their games and your friend enough get the coop game, Clandestine .

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Seriously, I tried to get people excited about this game. In the months before release, the subtext of a whole bunch of my newposts was basically "This is a real RPG, not a strategy-type thing like the first game, seriously guys pay attention this is a big one". People just didn't seem to care. The newsposts barely got any replies. They just weren't feeling it.

Would moving the forum to GRPG have helped? I assume so, but maybe not as much as you think.

I bought EV on release precisely because of your “shilling” and I do not regret it. Very strong game, although the combat got a bit repetitive if you played it in the first couple of weeks. Plan to eventually circle back and buddy up with the Picts next time.

These developer forums are definitely counterproductive, but people also had their heads up their asses with this one. Maybe more evidence of market saturation

Wolfe

Arbiter
Damn you all and this ressurected thread, now I'm itching to play this again, I absolutely loved it when it was released..

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm approaching the inevitable chosen one must choose moment, and I'm increasingly more tempted to just screw everyone and conquer both Perth and Northumbria on my own :shredder:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
fuck

i've locked myself out of total brexit because i can't get 100 power :neveraskedforthis:

did all quests, maxed homestead, i'm sitting at 93

oh well

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
You made the mistake of dividing homestead upgrades between prosperity and power. You have to choose one early on and stick with it.

Modron

Arcane
fuck

i've locked myself out of total brexit because i can't get 100 power

did all quests, maxed homestead, i'm sitting at 93

oh well
Have you decided the fate of that independent village both factions eventually send you to, I think you can muster some power there by taking it for yourself. But yeah power is harder to acquire than whatever the other measure of your peoples is so best to prioritize it because you can just convert excess money into the other category.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Tigranes review was garbage. He focused too much on how it negatively compares to Conquistador, while failing to express many of the positive changes it made. The few positive changes he does acknowledge are diminished to a brief sentence, and not once does he even mention the two upgradeable strongholds which are central aspects of the game.

He clearly showed a bias towards Conquistadors, and was unable to judge Vikings based on its own merits.

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
You made the mistake of dividing homestead upgrades between prosperity and power. You have to choose one early on and stick with it.
He gets that now. Its not immediately obvious what power and prosperity actually do, tempting players to avoid prioritising one over the other. I kept power fairly high, reasoning that if my lands grew rich and I didn't have the military might to defend it, a negative event would trigger other Vikings to attack my hometown.

As usual the greatest enemy was my own imagination.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
tbh the prosper/power ratings are kind of dumb and arbitrary, and now i'm a bit upset that i have to reload and call a second brexit referendum because of them, but such is life

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
My issue with the prosperity/power mechanic is that there's no incentive to gaining prosperity.

You need at least 50 power to unlock Lindisfarne and Avalon, and 100 power to get the Viking Conquest ending. Prosperity unlocks you nothing.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Avalon was a disappointment by the way. Only cool part about it was the song that played.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
oh man I've forgotten what happened to the dad and his folks. must replay it now :negative:

e: at least it's worthwhile to find out unlike Bethesdas Fallout

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom