Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Gamedec now on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Mar 25, 2020 at 5:03 PM.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Anshar Studios; Gamedec

The Kickstarter campaign for Gamedec, the cyberpunk virtual world detective RPG from Anshar Studios based on the novels of Polish author Marcin Przybyłek, has gone live. Anshar have put together a rather straightforward pitch with a brief but thorough pitch video. There isn't any new information here that we didn't know already, but the video does offer a glimpse of Gamedec's third virtual world, which is clearly some sort of medieval fantasy roleplaying game.

The Kickstarter tiers are pretty nice. Right now you can get the game for just $20. All the tiers come with beta access, and there don't appear to be any exclusive in-game rewards at the higher ones. Anshar are looking to raise $50,000 towards Gamedec's development, which is entirely doable for a title with these sorts of production values, even if the campaign has flown completely under the radar. The game's estimated delivery date is December 2020, with the beta due out sometime in Q2 2020.

• Brofist x 8
    • incline x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ovplain Arcane

Ovplain
    Backed for 20, why not. But does it even say anywhere why they need this 50K exactly? I'm assuming, by the way it looks, by them shooting for a beta launch in Q2, this thing's coming out no matter what, whether this campaign reaches the goal or not?

^ Top  
  3. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Just this:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. toro Arcane

toro
    Wow, 2 posts in a gamedec thread. Guys please keep it civil and tone it down.

Show Spoiler
    Infinitron why do you shill for this game?

It's mediocre in all aspects and nobody really cares about it.

It will get funded but the requested amount is just "nothing" these days. If the game really depends on those 50k potatoes then maybe it's not worth developing.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    PCGamesN has a succinct description of what should be this game's appeal:

That seems like the kind of thing Codexers should care about (Disco Elysium just won GOTY you know), so I'm making the call to devote some attention it. People do seem to have a low attention span these days - this isn't the only game that's falling between the cracks of the Baldur's Gate 3 thread's 500+ pages.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    I can't climax without the anticipation of inflicting pain and torment.

• Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Mordru Novice Patron

Mordru
    The chick in the picture looks woke AF!!!

• Funny x 3
    • Excited! x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Can't think of a worse time to try and Kickstart a game... :?. So many not even knowing if/when they'll get their next paycheck.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
  10. mindx2 Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter Patron

mindx2
    Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Why do you disagree with me? Just curious...

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    Kickstarters are not rational people.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mikaelis Prophet Patron

mikaelis
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014
    50k looks like the game is almost done and just looking for extra exposure (which isn't bad right now - some bigger outlets reporting on it already for some months, including prestigeous magazine rpgcodex.net[NOT COM:argh:])

Wonder if there is some co-publishing company involved that forked out some money beforehand? (potentially from Polish stock market, keeping it hush for time being)?

^ Top  
  13. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    We're not on the stock market and we don't have an external investor who brought cash to the table and told us what to do ;) We know it's a hard time for a lot of people, also in Poland, but we decided to go with the campaign as planned.

• Salute Salute x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. The_Sloth_Sleeps Learned

The_Sloth_Sleeps
    Do you understand what isometric means?

• No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. TrueNeutralPaladin Educated

TrueNeutralPaladin
    No mention of DRM-free.

Devs are Polish... GOG is Polish... Make some calls, send some emails, sit down and hash out some kind of promotion for the game. Well, not now, with everything locked down - but if they wanted my dosh, that's what should have been done before the Kickstarter.

And even if GOG pulled their "too niche" bullshit (against the odds), Humble is always an option for DRM-free delivery if devs care about anything other than Steam.

I mean I get it - Steam dominates the market. But when asking for pledges, DRM-free is a bare minimum for me to even consider it.

All that said, the game does look interesting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    We're in talks with GOG for quite some time. Hopefully, we will close the deal soon.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  17. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    will it bring determinism back into cyoas?

^ Top  
  18. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    I hope you are joking. Comparing Przybyłek's writing with Disco is just insulting. And comparing the game to CP2077 is downright delusional.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. toro Arcane

toro
    Please don't use Fallout's name in your promotional videos. It makes me sick.

Next time please don't use a ruined concept. I don't think you realize how ruined is the concept of virtual worlds. (thanks Obama Hollywood)

But if you actually want to implement this shit then make sure that you have at least one outstanding quest which makes use of the narrative context.

Remove the grinding from the game. Either you implement a RPG or a farming game. Don't be retarded. Don't pad missing content with time sinks. Be honest.

That being said, I don't think I will play your game even when released but I will support you just because maybe your next game will not be retarded.

This one is not salvageable in my opinion. It reeks of mediocrity. Prove me wrong.

Show Spoiler
    Your $20.00 pledge brings this project one step closer to becoming a reality. If the project reaches its funding goal, your card will be charged on April 28, 2020. Check your email for more details.

• WTF am I reading x 3
    • Edgy x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • rolleyes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. flushfire Augur

flushfire
    So "detective RPG" is going to be a thing now?

^ Top  
  21. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    What grinding are you referring to? If you're talking about the Harvest Time, it's an option - when you go into a virtual world [like Harvest Time or Twisted & Perverted] you might "go with the flow" and play the game as the rest of the players to unlock some additional info or just go with the case and don't care about the specific in-game interactions.

^ Top  
  22. toro Arcane

toro
    Yeah I was talking about Harvest Time. You did a pretty good job because the farming part looks like a real soulless farming simulator ... and, personally, I hate those and I cannot imagine exploring those "virtual" worlds.

It's just my opinion but try to keep the narrative as much as possible off the virtual worlds shit. Smart gimmicks in virtual reality are not really satisfying. You need an exceptionally good narrative to reach a larger audience.

Anyway, thanks for answering. Sorry for the abrasive tone. Good luck.

^ Top  
  23. Matt [Anshar Studios] Anshar Studios Developer

Matt [Anshar Studios]
    Any feedback is welcome! Thanks for sharing!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    My feedback is that you should ignore Toro's feedback

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    That line I quoted is kinda cringe-y. Maybe that entire conversation.
    I physically feel cringe and if the entire writing is like this, ooff.

That is all.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)