Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG.com

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 2, 2012.

1. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I'm browsing the weekend deal page .

How good games are these ?

Hacknet
    Orwell 1 & 2
    Ruiner
    Satelite Reign

• meh meh x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    A cyberpunk twin stick shooter of sorts, bit of hotline miami in there as well.

I found some things awkward with kb+m, but barely remember what exactly the issues were. There definitely were some though, control-wise.

You don't retain weapons once they're empty either except for the basic one and you sword. That sort of thing.
    It wasn't that great in terms of mechanics in general.

Nice art and mood, but otherwise not quite up to snuff.
    Buy if it's cheap if you like the genre in general, otherwise not worth it imo.

I played it on release, so I don't know whether it has been improved since. Check the update news first. If they fixed some stuff, maybe it's worth checking out now.

It's supposed to be something of a Syndicate/Syndicate Wars successor.
    Ended up being more like a semi open-world cyberpunk Commandos-lite game.
    It sadly has a cover system where you have to stick just behind cover (ugh) instead of at least a normal system where shots simply take obstructions anywhere near/in their path into account (JA2).
    It's not much of a sim though, You just take reduced damage (dps) when in cover and more out of it etc. A lot of weapons are underwhelming.

Can be hard on your system compared to what's really on screen (lots of color and neon light smudgy stuff and rain and whatnot, but not much else). I don't think they ever fixed that.
    It got a big update at some point to help with some of the annoying stuff... Has a mode where damage is much increased so you don't feel like you're playing a fucking MMO anymore.

Mission areas are mostly fenced/walled compounds on the map, where you have to enter somehow (rope in, hack door, whatever). Then the rest is a Commandos-like puzzle if you want to go stealth.
    If not, you may face endlessly spawning enemies (yay).

There's a lot of cheaply made systems like the research, but I can't be bothered to get into all of it.

Another game to get during a steep sale if you're really bored. But like ruiner it looks cooler than it is.

Hope that helps...

Edit: Removed a line. Misremembered something.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Ezeekiel Arbiter

Ezeekiel
    GOG's turned into a bit of a mess, huh.
    I wonder where they're going to go from here. I don't think they have the kind of whole separate internet infrastructure of their own like steam, so going big with huge releases and lots of them doesn't seem like it'd be feasible... And big publishers don't want to sell their games without DRM, normally.

^ Top  
  4. Wyatt_Derp Scholar

Wyatt_Derp
    Echoing what I said over in the Grimoire thread, I think some publisher deals fell through. Between 2012-2017 gog picked up EA, Disney, 2K, Warner Bros, Ubisoft, Paradox AND Bethesda. We saw a huge stream of classic releases from those studios. Then starting last year, the releases fell off to a trickle. Really the only of those studios that have stuck with gog is 2K. They've handed gog Bioshock, Mafia, and others. We were all waiting for the flood of older games, especially the giant tomb of locked IPs from EA. And... we're still waiting.

I'm not Polish enough to understand how they work BTS, but the forum moderation, site redesign, change in region pricing, and lack of classic title releases all seemed to coincide closely with one another. It could be a coincidence, but usually when you smell smoke, there's fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Let everything on your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Try to curate your store, deal with countless articles and complaints about it. Embrace nihilism, you're fucked either way. Nothing matters.

• Balanced x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grauken Arcane Patron

Grauken
    Welcome, you'll find no friendlier place anywhere else. We don't even need to ban people, they usually want to go on their own

And most of them come back under another name. Addiction is a terrible thing

• Cheers!! x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    Is Dead in Vinland any good?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rashiakas Savant Patron

rashiakas
    no

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I own both already so don't care, but why is Risen 2 more than Risen 3? Weird.

^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist x 6
    • Thanks! x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • nice nice x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    How many jabs at Epic can they make?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. hellbent Augur

hellbent
    Galaxy 2.0, eh? When will they come for our offline installers?

• Rage Rage x 2
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    GOG needed to make a play, and they're making the "one client to manage all your bullshit" play. Interesting. Will have to see how it works, but since the vast majority give in to exclusives, despite what the Steam fanboys think, I could see a large consumer demand for an all-in-one manager.

• NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Gogtards . Gogtards never change .

• retadred retadred x 3
    • butthurt butthurt x 2
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    So... let's see. Suppose you get a Ubishit game on Steam and then you add it to Galaxy.

Then, you launch it from Galaxy, which launches Steam, which launches Uplay, which launches the game.

I can see the benefits of adding another launcher on top of all the others. :kingcomrade:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • incline incline x 6
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Is there a way it could launch Steam/Origin/Whatever for DRM purposes but keep it in the background somehow so you don't need to deal with it? That's the best people could hope for, I'd assume.

Also the last few Uplay games I bought on Steam activated straight on Uplay and don't even use Steam at all if I don't want them to, so GOG could take advantage of that.

^ Top  
  20. cosmicray Learned

cosmicray
    And once again, Galaxy is not available on Linux. Now there is no excuse really. The store sells Linux games, but they're supported like shit. Steam, sadly, is a better option.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. theSavant Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I'm not sure I understood this correctly... would this Galaxy2.0 Launcher replace other launchers? So when I have Games on Steam/Ubisoft/Origin/Epic, I could just access them via Galaxy2.0 and install them? None of these other clients needed anymore?

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • No No x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Wyatt_Derp Scholar

Wyatt_Derp
    Do they have a launcher that can play my games for me? I'm super busy these days.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Hey, that's incline, this kind of things actually changed my life.

I explain. I bought HoMM6 on Steam, had to make a Uplay account I think on top of the Steam one then the game would just crash on launch. I also bought a boxed copy of some version of Dragon Age that is unshamefully sold while the game can't work at all (all you can do is download an online version of the game and use the register key that you get with the box). Then I just stopped caring about big publisher gaming altogether and henceforth also avoid anything except for a buying a DRM-free version of a game as much as possible, which is what any sane person would do.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    • Salute Salute x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)