Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Some people try to downplay this news, but this is a huge deal. I can't count how many times I heard that it would be great if we had only one launcher, which is connected to every other libraries. GOG Galaxy 2 will be just that and it will be great if they can pull it off. Obviously if you want to use a specific feature of that other platform, you have to download their client, circumventing that would be impossible. But I don't care about achievements and stuff, so I will be happy if every game would be available for lunch from GOG Galaxy.

It really comes down to execution. If it can manage my Steam/Origin/Uplay shit for me and launch games without me having to fuck around with those every time, it'll be very interesting. If all it does is launch Steam for me and I have to use Steam as normal, then it's useless. Will be very interesting to see what it's like.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some people try to downplay this news, but this is a huge deal. I can't count how many times I heard that it would be great if we had only one launcher, which is connected to every other libraries. GOG Galaxy 2 will be just that and it will be great if they can pull it off. Obviously if you want to use a specific feature of that other platform, you have to download their client, circumventing that would be impossible. But I don't care about achievements and stuff, so I will be happy if every game would be available for lunch from GOG Galaxy.

It really comes down to execution. If it can manage my Steam/Origin/Uplay shit for me and launch games without me having to fuck around with those every time, it'll be very interesting. If all it does is launch Steam for me and I have to use Steam as normal, then it's useless. Will be very interesting to see what it's like.
Agree. If it just launches another client than it will be laughable.

ADL

Prophet
Even if it just launches Steam to install/play games it's still worth it because it will allow me to visualize multiple libraries on a client that looks great and does the things I want a "universal client" to do.

But we already have Playnite . https://playnite.link/

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Launchbox (https://www.launchbox-app.com/) and Quickplay (http://quickplay.sourceforge.net/) too

Melcar

Arcane
And once again, Galaxy is not available on Linux. Now there is no excuse really. The store sells Linux games, but they're supported like shit. Steam, sadly, is a better option.
I know. Real shit. So far the only modern clients for Linux are Steam and Lutris.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Even if it just launches Steam to install/play games it's still worth it because it will allow me to visualize multiple libraries on a client that looks great and does the things I want a "universal client" to do.

Steam already does that though. If all you want is shortcuts in a client that launch other clients when necessary, Steam has that functionality and has since as far back as I can remember. So when GOG is already a relatively minor player, how would that make any difference at all? For this to get them attention and more users it will have to do more than that.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

There's only one problem, the GOG client is shit

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sounds pointless. They should focus more on the DRM stuff instead of wasting money on launchers. By looking at the screenshots it's not even a store, so it looks like you won't be able to buy anything using the thing. Really wonder where the business aspect from GoG comes into play here?

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
so I will be happy if every game would be available for lunch from GOG Galaxy.
I didn't know games are edible. How does it taste in general?
Like shit. :P

Sounds pointless. They should focus more on the DRM stuff instead of wasting money on launchers. By looking at the screenshots it's not even a store, so it looks like you won't be able to buy anything using the thing. Really wonder where the business aspect from GoG comes into play here?
Only a minority cares about DRM free games, focusing on that is a waste of time and money.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So instead they focus on a launcher that don't even sell games?

I have said it before, but I think there would be a big market for repackaging games as physical products. I know I would love to buy some, and I know they can do it since the Witcher games came with a shit ton of extra stuff and still made a profit.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I'm not sure what can GOG do more in DRM-free front. "Bribe" publishers to release their games DRM-free? (Well if only they had Fortnite.) More silly campaigns like "FCK DRM"?

(I kind of hoped them to release retro console games since old PC games to re-release are running out. Buuut, I guess it's complicated.)

I have said it before, but I think there would be a big market for repackaging games as psychical products. I know I would love to buy some, and I know they can do it since the Witcher games came with a shit ton of extra stuff and still made a profit.

Well there are already companies doing that, like Limited Run Games and Indie Box. It doesn't look like they're making big bucks.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I'm not sure what can GOG do more in DRM-free front. "Bribe" publishers to release their games DRM-free? (Well if only they had Fortnite.) More silly campaigns like "FCK DRM"?

(I kind of hoped them to release retro console games since old PC games to re-release are running out. Buuut, I guess it's complicated.)

I have said it before, but I think there would be a big market for repackaging games as psychical products. I know I would love to buy some, and I know they can do it since the Witcher games came with a shit ton of extra stuff and still made a profit.

Well there are already companies doing that, like Limited Run Games and Indie Box. It doesn't look like they're making big bucks.

If they're tapped on big classic titles to release then they really only have a couple of options. One is to work closely with THQ Nordic and try to work deals for as many of their new IPs as possible. The other is CDPR's Cyberpunk game. If Cyberpunk does really well, like on a Witcher 3 level, it'll float them for some time. If it's glitchy as hell or doesn't sell well, and gog can't work in new big release packages, they're gonna go backwater.

If all they can hope to be is an indie/pixel kiosk... well, you can get a much larger selection of that kind of stuff on Steam, and probably for cheaper too. Gog needs an angle to work, and right now they don't really have one. Galaxy ain't cuttin' the mustard.

ADL

Prophet

Steam already does that though. If all you want is shortcuts in a client that launch other clients when necessary, Steam has that functionality and has since as far back as I can remember. So when GOG is already a relatively minor player, how would that make any difference at all? For this to get them attention and more users it will have to do more than that.
The GOG solution won't require me to have the game downloaded and it also comes with functionality that tracks sales and friend activity across all the platforms in a single client. I have well over 500 games across storefronts that aren't on Steam so this will be very nice to have. Even if Galaxy 2.0 opens up Battle.net when I try to launch one of their games, having it in a universal library will remind me I have the game and it will keep track of the people playing that game and presumably notable updates and news I would've otherwise missed for that game.
It sounds like Galaxy 2.0 does pretty much everything better than anything else on the market and the open source modules will definitely help.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Really hope Galaxy 2 will be as useful as it sounds. I use Steam for all my game launcher needs, but if Galaxy would track my playtime and stuff even from outside games, I would switch.

Melcar

Arcane

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So instead they focus on a launcher that don't even sell games?

I have said it before, but I think there would be a big market for repackaging games as physical products. I know I would love to buy some, and I know they can do it since the Witcher games came with a shit ton of extra stuff and still made a profit.

Their goal is to sell more shit and gain larger market share. DRM free ain't gonna get them there, because nobody cares. Their other options are cool new client features (hence this effort) or exclusive games. They didn't have the balls to make Witcher 3 exclusive, and I doubt they will with Cyberpunk either. They tried with that card game thing and quickly said "whoops" and put it on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom