Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic III - skills and interface

Whipporowill

Erudite

denizsi

Arcane
Is that poison arrows and exploding arrows under alchemy skills? Polymorph potions? Woot! Some minor translation issues, but otherwise it seems all good... yay.

It seems so. There also seems to be one for magical arrows.

Do you think it's possible that judging by the fight skills images, the skills it takes to fight humanoids and non-humanoids differ? There is a humanoid figure and a dino-like non-humanoid bipedal creature figure (the name from previous games escapes me) which I can only hope that my wish is true, and if that's the case, it's awesome!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What the fuck did they do to trolls?!? :?

P.S. I don't mind variation; but what the fuck what that thing?

Whipporowill

Erudite
denizsi said:
Do you think it's possible that judging by the fight skills images, the skills it takes to fight humanoids and non-humanoids differ? There is a humanoid figure and a dino-like non-humanoid bipedal creature figure (the name from previous games escapes me) which I can only hope that my wish is true, and if that's the case, it's awesome!

Possibly some damage bonus/higher crit potential towards humanoid or beasts via perks?

WTF is this? I hope they change interface and skill tree before release, because right now it looks way too lame. And...for once i have to agree with Volo - those trolls used to be more menacing-looking in GII.

Ladonna

Arcane
Oh they looked menacing.

Pity they were the easiest creature to beat in the entire game. Maybe these ones will be a challenge.

Micmu

Magister
I love what they did with attributes and skills. This should provide far better builds than in G1/2.
These translations are weird. Isn't hunting skill supposed to be dexterity and endurance actually stamina?

Easiest? Now thats exaggeration (SP? :)). I still think the black troll was the hardest enemy in the game, anyway, more difficult than the dragons. I don't see how it can be the easiest monster, actually.

denizsi

Arcane
While I wouldn't take a screenshot of the character page and print it to hang on my wall to stare at it all day long, I wouldn't have any problem with such an interface.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Love the expanded amount of skills
MORE SKILLS W00T

I admit I was skeptical when I first played Gothic 2 and discovered my usual assortment of 6-8 statistics was reduced just to dexterity and strength. I couldn't see how I'd develop a character or make choices. But as any Gothic 2 player will tell you, the decision between putting 5 more points into strength or to your bow skill is more taxing than any decision you'll ever make in a game like Oblivion, with lots of teh fight skills!!!1

More skills does not a better game make.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lord Chambers said:
Whipporowill said:
MORE SKILLS W00T

I admit I was skeptical when I first played Gothic 2 and discovered my usual assortment of 6-8 statistics was reduced just to dexterity and strength. I couldn't see how I'd develop a character or make choices. But as any Gothic 2 player will tell you, the decision between putting 5 more points into strength or to your bow skill is more taxing than any decision you'll ever make in a game like Oblivion, with lots of teh fight skills!!!1

I thought Oblivion was dumbed down because it had too few skills.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Lumpy said:
Lord Chambers said:
Whipporowill said:
MORE SKILLS W00T

....'S different.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
RadioGnome Invisible said:
Easiest? Now thats exaggeration (SP? :)). I still think the black troll was the hardest enemy in the game, anyway, more difficult than the dragons. I don't see how it can be the easiest monster, actually.
Trolls were easy, because all you had to do was run in circles around them and poke with stick till they're dead. You could do that with low level character without taking a hit. It's an exploit, yes, but on the other hand it was almost impossible to fight trolls in frontal battle, even if you're uber.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Whipporowill said:
These are new to me. Love the expanded amount of skill - or perks they've got going.
I posted a perk list in the recent Gothic III news thread. There are two versions of the character screen online, with a few differences in the perks, partly different icons for the same perks, apparently some different perks. One is probably outdated.

What I ain't so happy about are the numerous Adept-Expert-Master skills, i.e. the primary combat and thief skills.
On the other hand we've got innovations like shield combat, backstab, poisoned weapon and the ominous "excuses" thief skill.

Volourn said:
What the fuck did they do to trolls?!? :?
They uhh.. evolved differently on the continent. Or something.

The developers went wild on redesigning, I'm afraid.

denizsi said:
It seems so. There also seems to be one for magical arrows.
Burning and exploding arrows, to be precise.

Do you think it's possible that judging by the fight skills images, the skills it takes to fight humanoids and non-humanoids differ? I can only hope that my wish is true, and if that's the case, it's awesome!
It's as simple as bonus damage to Orks, and different animals types.

micmu said:
These translations are weird. Isn't hunting skill supposed to be dexterity and endurance actually stamina?
They changed attributes to be more profession-related. Be thankful Strength isn't called Fighting Skill.
I'd probably use stmina for an expendable stat myself, but as far as I know, stamina and endurance are synonymous.

denizsi

Arcane
It's as simple as bonus damage to Orks, and different animals types.

If that's true, then it's such a let down. I imagined that they might be not bonus damage but bonus to hit/block. Both cases are simple but to hit/block/whatever would be a better implementation in my opinion.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
New trolls with the elephant-like skin are more menacing than the giant teddy bears of the other games, imo.

The interface looks a little plain to me as well. I hope they do jazz it up some, but if they don't it'll hardly matter.

elander_

Arbiter
Lumpy said:

The difference is that Oblivion claims to be a full role-playing game while Gothic 3 an adventure game with rpg elements.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Strange. The Gothic games had easily more roleplaying options than Morrowind or Oblivion, I think.

elander_

Arbiter
That was straight from the mouth of a Gothic developer that posted here some months ago (don't remenber the thread).

Elwro said:
Strange. The Gothic games had easily more roleplaying options than Morrowind or Oblivion, I think.

No suprise about that. Gothic has more role-playing than many games that call themsleves hardcore rpgs.

Sentenza

Scholar
Ladonna said:
Pity they were the easiest creature to beat in the entire game. Maybe these ones will be a challenge.
I though sheep were easier...:? at least they didn't throw you 20 m away with a punch...

Texas Red

Whiner
Those translations need some work. Why is it "hunter skills" and yet also "fight skills"? Should it not be "fighter skills" or "hunt skills"?

Also, what is this talk about Gothic 3 being an adventure game with RPG elements? I always thought that the Gothic series were hardcore RPGs. Explane.

Sentenza

Scholar
Lumpy said:
You mean: it has less skill because it was dumbed down?

Besides, I'm more concerned that skill doesn't seem to matter at all...

Sentenza

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Also, what is this talk about Gothic 3 being an adventure game with RPG elements? I always thought that the Gothic series were hardcore RPGs. Explane.
By traditions, Gothic games are always been Action/Adventure RPG; However, compared to Obl or even MW, I consider them far better RPG; dunno what "hardcore RPG" meant to you though

denizsi

Arcane
Or maybe we can say that Piranha Bytes is just showing some humility in calling their game an adventure with RPG elements, instead of claiming to be Jesus Christ reincarnation of RPG genre, like some dumbfucks do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom