Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Guild Wars: Factions

merry andrew

Erudite
http://pc.ign.com/articles/681/681120p1.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-campaign-2/680914p1.html

IGN said:
There's plenty of new content being added to the game with Factions that Guild Wars fans will undoubtedly want to get a hold of. Some of these are simply concepts while others are more "tangible." Players will now be able to form alliances between guilds. These allies will be able to visit each others' guild halls and can gain control of cities and towns on the new continent Cantha by taking part in new alliance missions. These new mission types pit multiple teams up against each other to control resource points. Victors earn faction points which will help determine control of towns and outposts.
That and a bunch of other stuff (no joke). And just in case you think the current Guild Wars sux, Factions is a stand-along expansion, meaning you don't need the original game to experience the new content.

Bidjou

Novice
thanks good read

"Imagine being able to take control of a whole city, trigger special events, get access to exclusive areas, and work with allies to coordinate a huge global strategy to take over the world!" Strain didn't want to say what the rewards would be for taking over the world, or how the game would handle that if and when it happened. He did say the team has some pretty cool ideas about it, though. "

too early to say but if it ever happens something like that it would be rather nifty

merry andrew

Erudite
The PvP free-for-all weekend starts tonight at midnight PST. The new professions will be available as well as a new arena, combat training areas, and PvP explorable areas (sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.).

Sirus

Liturgist
Sucks that you have to have faction points to buy skills for the new classes. I have very little points so it's pretty much useless to play since I get owned without any skills.

Antagonist

Liturgist
I'm a vivid Guild Wars PvP player but they totally fucked up the event by locking all skills and forcing the players to use the same lame premades unless you farm for faction which is not fun without a guild to back you up and even then you'll only manage to unlock a couple of skills. The most fun part of Guild Wars PvP is to test character builds and play with a coordinated group of people but they took it away so Anet can take their fucking interactive commercial back.

Ryuken

Liturgist
Yeah, it sucks but I guess they realise it too now, that people want to try out the new skills. I thought I read somewhere that there would be more events on the way.

Drakron

Arcane
Are you suprised?

For a "grind free" game it sure as hell became "grind required" pretty fast with the nerf of drops (not the rate was good to start with) in both PvE and PvP ... the bad news for me was that grind was the end game content unless I start PvP.

Oh how I fucking HATE South Shiverpeaks with their 30 gazilions mobs (not the other zones were much better) ... heck I remenber when I started WoW I suprised because I could actually walk for 3 minutes without running into a mob!

This is a MMORPG and not a CORPG and you know why?

In a MMORPG is "everyone for himself" as a CORPG needs coperation and there is no coperation in here, I seen more asshats in here that in WoW ... the fact "mission/instances" restarts when everyone gets killed and are long and boring does not help either.

Guild Wars is nothing but a fantasy version counter-strike with a 3d chat room lobby.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Well, aspects of it suck indeed. The PvE is very weak for instance and does not offer anything of lasting value after you finished it the first time. Grinding to unlock skills also sucks donkey balls because unlike in other MMORPGs you don't grind to get better than the rest but to be equally good.

I don't agree that Guild Wars PvP sucks at least for people who are in a decent, dedicated and competitive guild. Guild Wars character system offers a huge sandbox games for individual and party builds and requires lots of strategy in higher level PvP. If you are in for the social aspect, immersion and item grind then I'm pretty sure that WoW or any other traditional MMORPG will better suit your needs.

Drakron

Arcane
Well they fucking quit midway ... at start you got skills from quests but then it looks they just say "oh fuck it, lets make skills buyable" and so they fucked up the iniciative to make player take quests, not we end up with many anyway ...

You also start to notice quests get simpler and simpler as we progress in the game.

The fact PvE is weak ends up being a serious flaw because its PvE content that is going to sell their stand alone expansions, I already have the new classes and skills without buying it (its streamed) and its unlikely they going to take it back ... PvP characters will always gain the same access regardless of expansion in order to be "competative", PvE content is what is supposed to be selling those expansions.

A lot of people quit Guild Wars because as you said, PvE is very weak and with Fractions info being about PvP its unlikely such people are going back.

If they want PvP then just fuck PvE, I am not going to give then money with a half assed PvE to pay for the PvP stress on the servers.

merry andrew

Erudite
Antagonist said:
Grinding to unlock skills also sucks donkey balls because unlike in other MMORPGs you don't grind to get better than the rest but to be equally good.
How does unlocking more skills make you equally as good? You can only equip 8 at a time. It's a skill-based game, as in the combat is primarily based upon player skill. It's CounterStrike with a story and RPG elements.

Guild Wars character system offers a huge sandbox games for individual and party builds and requires lots of strategy in higher level PvP. If you are in for the social aspect, immersion and item grind then I'm pretty sure that WoW or any other traditional MMORPG will better suit your needs.
Yeah I don't get it. People whine about how much traditional MMOs suck, then an new formula is introduced and they whine about how it's not like the traditional formula.

I like Guild Wars because there's a huge X in the upper right corner of the screen and I can click it whenever I want and go play other games without having to worry that I'll fall behind or miss out on some once-in-not-so-often party opportunity.

Drakron

Arcane
Perhaps because its not a new formula?

Guild Wars have a critical lack of content, the economy gone to hell (or had when I quit) and simply lacks what makes a MMORPG fun.

Nobody roleplays, districts (towns) are simply "WTS" or "WTB" spam messages, there is no interrest in colaboration, drop rate are awful ...

The biggest problem of the MMORPG is the level climbing and the item farming ... Guild Wars "fixes" a issue by giving just 20 levels but then it forces people to farm, be it to gain gold -to buy skills-, unlock skills and items for PvP characters ... farming goes out of hand in this game and ANet "helps" by nerfing spots, drops and buffying anoying as hell monsters to the point walking from point A to point B becames too anoying.

Another issue with MMORPG is content and Guild Wars have a huge lack of it, monsters end up being like in the old 8 bit days were they are simply given a new color and a diferent name ... quests are few and became less and less interresting as we move along ... the world is DEAD with a buch of NPCs that dont move, there is no day/night cycle, cities are tiny ...

I blame the idiots that think counter-strike is the end all of online experience, Guild Wars at best is having a group running a mission were we funtion as a whole but damn it, I had a better experience in Scarlet Monestary with less people and far less stress since I did not had the "die and retry from the start" breathing down my in neck!

merry andrew

Erudite
You seem to be approaching it as if it's a run-of-the-mill MMORPG. It's not; sorry you don't seem to be able to see that.

P.S. Competitive Online Role-Playing Game
P.P.S. Can someone move this thread to the General Discussion forum? Maybe that would deter some of the confusion. My bad for putting it here in the first place.

Antagonist

Liturgist
merry andrew said:
How does unlocking more skills make you equally as good? You can only equip 8 at a time. It's a skill-based game, as in the combat is primarily based upon player skill. It's CounterStrike with a story and RPG elements.

I tend to disagree because the build decides how good you can perform under the best circumstances. If you have a really crappy build no amount of reflex and experoence will save you from getting rolled by a team with a superior party build. And most guilds, including mine, run a lot of different builds and test new ones on a regular basis so it's essential that you have all the needed skills unlocked. Delaying playing for an hoour or more because some members have to unlock some needed skills first. Anet simply lied to their customers when they said that you'd have fun instead of preparing for fun. Most dedicated players need about 500-800 hours to unlock most stuff.

If you can't be flexible enough to adapt to your enemy you have almost lost already. Unlike WoW for instance there's no ultra-rare unbalanced uber loot that will make you pwn noobs (actually there are some slighly overpowered items in PvE but I hope Anet will take care of it). After months of grind you are on equal footing with the other guilds and that's it. A very unsatisfactory kind of grind.

Yeah I don't get it. People whine about how much traditional MMOs suck, then an new formula is introduced and they whine about how it's not like the traditional formula.

I like Guild Wars because there's a huge X in the upper right corner of the screen and I can click it whenever I want and go play other games without having to worry that I'll fall behind or miss out on some once-in-not-so-often party opportunity.

I really love the PvP concept of Guild Wars but I regard the skill unlocking mechanism just a lazy way to stretch the content and to conceal that there is not acuatlly enough of it compared to other MMORPGs. It's stupid grind for people who are in no way interested in PvE but are forced to repeat it 3 times at least and many top PvP players already left the game because of it.

merry andrew

Erudite
Antagonist said:
Anet simply lied to their customers when they said that you'd have fun instead of preparing for fun.
So you're implying that you can't have fun in PvP unless you've unlocked everything and collected all of the best items in the game? I guess I just disagree, since I've had a lot of fun and I haven't even participated in anything other than Arena battles so far.

If you can't be flexible enough to adapt to your enemy you have almost lost already.
I agree. Although flexibility concerns far more than just what you have equipped.

I really love the PvP concept of Guild Wars but I regard the skill unlocking mechanism just a lazy way to stretch the content and to conceal that there is not acuatlly enough of it compared to other MMORPGs. It's stupid grind for people who are in no way interested in PvE but are forced to repeat it 3 times at least and many top PvP players already left the game because of it.
PvP characters can unlock skills by spending the faction points they earn when they participate in PvP battles... so you really never have to touch PvE if you don't want to. Perhaps I'm mistaken, I dunno.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Factions preview is fun; unlocking skills with faction points is a good concept. I played some nice games yesterday with my Assassin and will definitely consider buying the expansion.

ixg

Erudite
Guild Wars is not an easy game, if you don't play intelligently, you get whooped every time. I beat the last missions with henchies, so i own all...and if you can't get past Thunderhead Keep then you suck.

guild wars is a good game, but it's more a strategy game than an RPG.

DarkSign

Erudite
"Imagine being able to take control of a whole city, trigger special events, get access to exclusive areas, and work with allies to coordinate a huge global strategy to take over the world!" Strain didn't want to say what the rewards would be for taking over the world, or how the game would handle that if and when it happened. He did say the team has some pretty cool ideas about it, though. "
Wow amazing that I had designed that over 4 years ago. What a unique idea! /barf

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, it's standalone and supposedly with comparable amount of content as the original...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom