Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Aug 13, 2014.

1. lightbane Arcane

lightbane
    Ninja Theory continue to be unable to make good games it seems.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    It's nothing like Rune. The enemies I have fought so far have also been only in combat "spaces" from a gameplay perspective. If I recall Rune was more like Doom where you could meet enemies anywhere.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    I hate these puzzles. I really hate them. If there's a secret to finding the patterns, I can't see it. How is this shitty gameplay mechanic representative of psychosis? I know crazy people see patterns in things, but this is just dumb.

That could be it. But I think it's just film envy, trying to make it look more cinematic. It's horrible. Some of the strongest chromatic aberration I've seen in a game.

http://i.imgur.com/uS6REhV.png

http://i.imgur.com/zxqWi17.png

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    ^ Top  
  4. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    A review of Hellblade
    by Pretty

Hellblade is a wonderful feminist counterpart to Spec Ops: The Line, but with toxic musculinity instead of white phosphorus.
    In this game we follow a story of a strong black woman Senuisha Muhhamad on her quest to smash patriarchy.
    Our journey begins as Senuisha arrives to a desolate land of toxic musculinity.
    It is appropriately portrayed as a land of the dead since there is no place in the current year for obsolete values of patriarchy and heteronormancy those disgusting white males represent.
    Our heroine is not alone on her journey, with her are the spirits of feminist enlightment whispering words of encouragement as she destroys ignorant white males in combat or solves such taxing intellectual puzzles as putting some shapes together or pulling a lever.
    A severad head of an effeminate numale Senuisha bring with her in a bag is a powerful metaphor and a reminder to all of us that the end of the Age of Men draws near.

9.5/10

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Funny x 10
    • Thanks! x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Rune has gameplay

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I started playing this, and it's pretty much in line with what I was expecting.

If you do understand the game's premise and enjoy slow, dark and atmospheric walking-sims with some nordic mythology thrown in, then this is for you. If you expect an action-adventure with methodical gameplay, then simply ignore this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Mynon Scholar Shitposter

Mynon

• Shit Shit x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    This is a boring story. It's one-note, grim and depressive all the way through. Would have been more effective if they had contrasted that with moments of beauty and optimism. Maybe they could have looked at her past more, let you play out some of those moments, when everything wasn't dark. I just don't care much for Senua's story, just hearing all the time what happened, but rarely being there or seeing it.

It reminds me of how unrewarding Gone Home was. Everything that mattered had already happened and you just listened to your sister brag of her love life for an hour or however long it was. At least when they do mental illness and delusions in movies, there are other characters. Tangible characters, I mean.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fedora Master Cipher

Fedora Master
    It's a Nipgame and you guys are surprised it's more movie than game? Come on.

I misread Ninja Theory as Team Ninja somehow. :dealwithit:

vvvvvvv

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Mynon Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Except it isn't.

• Shit Shit x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Three trailers: Zero gameplay.

Tags: Atmospheric Female Protagonist Psychological Violent.

About this game: "From the makers of... comes a warrior’s brutal journey... Set in the Viking age... Created in collaboration with neuroscientists... Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will pull you deep into Senua’s mind".

WTF is this game about? What genre is an Atmospheric Female Protagonist Psychological Violent game?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    Played a little bit of this today - it's a non-game that takes itself so seriously you can't help but laugh. The very slow walking simulator bits are broken every once in a (very long) while for some toddler-friendly version of third person melee combat, and some chimp-level puzzles that will blow your mind. Oh, and there are whispering voices that give you hints and/or taunt you. So profound. Must be what women go through when they're having their period...

I'm a sucker for everything Viking/Nordic, but even I can't stomach this fucking tripe. The fact that it's getting such high scores across the lolmedia is the icing on the cake - Eurogamer gave it an " essential" seal. What a joke.

The graphics are pretty garbage - screen is smeared by every shit filter under the sun, 10x over, to mask substandard asset quality. The camera/fov is smushed too close to the character. She looks like Spoony. It's that bad.

Muh videogames as art.

:flamesaw:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Funny x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mynon Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    I rate this post "Edgy"...

• Shit Shit x 10
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    Tried this for half hour before uninstalling, nice visuals.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Kutulu Magister Patron

Kutulu
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    How on earth would this scratch a rune itch?
    Rune was a fast paced, melee quake/unreal, were you made people explode into gibs with two swings of a torso sized hammer.
    You also played big dude who was in direct contact with odin. Its 1 expansion was Multiplayer only...
    Rune was 1 perspective and 2-3 spells away from being a half-decent hexen successor.

Here you play an ugly chick, searching for her lover (prob. dyke) in boring as fuck slow combat.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. Pretty Prophet

Pretty
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    This guy made a reputation complaining about popamole invading PC games and now he's praising the most popamole, linear shit non-game you could possibly imagine. :mixedemotions:

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. flyingjohn Arcane

flyingjohn
    He also loves fallout 4 which should say everything about his so called "standards".

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Wolfe Savant

Wolfe
    Wow, WAB is a garbage reviewer? Fucking news at 11, the dude can't even aim in shooters, he's nothing more than a retard.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. fork Savant

fork
    Oh look, another non-game that's getting hyped as the future of gaming. over9000/10.

^ Top  
  21. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    Another obtuse puzzle. I quit. Uninstalled, deleted. Someone's gonna tell me the Tower Shard trial is simple, but I don't care. The puzzles aren't fun. Nothing about this game is fun or compelling, and the voices become annoying. One of the most overrated games I've ever played. I found Ninja Theory's other games, Enslaved and DmC, more tolerable. The former actually had a decent story (though I remember the ending being weak) and art. Heavenly Sword is probably better too, though I only played the demo.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Stonewolf Savant

Stonewolf
    You post your informed opinions everywhere you can or just copypaste them from mc?

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Stokowski Arcane

Stokowski
    OMG! What a fucking huge breakthrough in game design. The next generation of walking simulator: the crouching simulator.

How did the slavs not develop this genre first?

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Modron Arcane

Modron
    Because obsidian already beat them to it.

^ Top  
  25. Great Deceiver Arcane

Great Deceiver
    This is the first time (at least that I know of) something I wrote was copy pasted somewhere else, I guess it's flattering in a way.

• Salute Salute x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)