Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Mynon Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Cute.
    You are still obliged to write your actual opinion once you really try the game.

• Shit Shit x 10
    ^ Top  
  2. Bocian Arcane

Bocian

^ Top  
  3. vonAchdorf Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

vonAchdorf
    From what I read, the reviewers praise it for bravely tackling underused issues like psychosis and brush over the the fact, that the "gaming parts" are few and in-between (and not very good). Either it's really good at covering the first or most reviewers are afraid of appearing stupid by giving a 2deep4u game bad ratings.

^ Top  
  4. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    http://steamcommunity.com/games/414340/announcements/detail/2311890222387714575

I've yet to play the game once I find the time to finish it in one sitting.

^ Top  
  5. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    There are developers nowadays that apparently are confused if they want to create a movie or a proper game. Sure, this thing can even have a fantastical story, but isn't this supposed to be a game? If you're really want to tell a story above ALL else, why don't you do a movie or write a book?

Aren't reviewers supposed to review a game for it actually being, you know, a game? Shouldn't reviewers take into consideration the elements that actually make a game unique in comparison to other mediums such as movies or books? If this fail as a good game, then why give good praise to this at all?

This thing apparently praises itself for having a story, but it's as if it shames itself for being a game.

It's as if games are too "immature" as a medium, or haven't catched up with the "artistic" level of of the movies industry -- that games should try to be movies and pretend that they are not a different medium, as if it would be too shameful to admit that.

I don't have a problem with games that want to focus on a story. Hell, most RPG's do.
    As long as it prides itself on being a game, and actually allows the player interaction and provides challenges for most of the playtime, I'm OK with it.
    My issue is that this thing is a very bad game, but it is being praised as a good game for its story. WHY?

If you take a look at games from the 80's that were focused on story, most of them were actually good games as well. One of the reasons I really enjoyed (early) Sierra's games, is that they focused on story but they didn't sacrificed the quality of the game portion. In other words, they acknowledged what they were doing was a game, and respected it for what it was.

Unfortunately, the more you approach the 2000s, the more "cinematic" games seem to have become. And now that we are approaching the end of the 2010s, we can see that this trend has come a long way, and it will not die anytime soon, unfortunately.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sexbad? Arcane Patron

sexbad?
    Codex USB, 2014

• Funny Funny x 5
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Ezekiel Savant

Ezekiel
    Eh. I don't think they're afraid to appear dumb, I think they just have their priorities mixed up (not prioritizing game design), lack critical judgment and are too easily impressed by this kind of storytelling.

They should probably watch more good movies to put this in perspective, since these kinds of games are trying to blend the two mediums. It's not a good or interesting story.

• Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mynon Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fedora Master Magister

Fedora Master
    Vidya writers are pretentious wannabe dramatists, what else is new?

^ Top  
  10. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein
    """"""""Game""""""""

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Probably because Itsuno of DMC3/4/DD/Power Stone/Project Justice fame came in to rescue the project. Same shit with DMC2, Itsuno tried to fix the shitshow but it was too late by the time he came on board.

^ Top  
  12. Quatlo Arcane

Quatlo
    Its a shitty nongame walking sim with simplistic combat, awful puke inducing 45 fov (b-b-b-but its on purpose to make you feel claustrophobhic in your head!), retardedly easy and samey puzzles, SLOW as fuck running speed. Everything is loaded into that voices-in-your head gimmick which is pretty cool for first 30 minutes but gets annoying and monotonous after that. Game reuses its bossess as enemies too so dont expect variety.

Avoid at all costs it just plain fucking sucks, watch a youtube letsplay without a commentary for the same experience and save on your powerbill by sparing your GPU by not making it render this really pretty yet empty non-game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Beowulf Liturgist

Beowulf
    So, nothing new.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    Finished it. Terrific productions values, breathtaking landscapes and sound design, so-so puzzles, adequate story told via powerful cutscenes and the occasional inner demons, and easy but spectacular combat. It's exactly in line of what I thought a typical Ninja Theory game would deliver. Pretty cool experience overall, but zero replay value.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. DeepOcean Arcane

DeepOcean
    Will play this game on youtube.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
    I also want to add that we need more games with Vikings and growly battle songs. I just hope Human Head won't fuck up Rune 2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Gepeu Savant Patron

Gepeu
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
  19. Gepeu Savant Patron

Gepeu
    Ah, I forgot it's an old-school classic role playing game, now in 2017. Future is now.

We need to revitalize the old Skyrim-inspired viking theme.

^ Top  
  20. Revenant Guest

Revenant
    After watching an LP, I expected a reveal at the end of the game that the protagonist was a modern person locked up in an asylum and the whole Norse world was just a schizophrenic delusion, which didn't happen. Also, speaking of the Norse theme, how could the protagonist be Celtic if lore of the game is exclusively Nordic?

^ Top  
  21. v1rus Arcane

v1rus
    we wuz nardz

^ Top  
  22. Chrio Novice

Chrio
    Bought it because I like nordic stuff and the chicks pretty high polygon face, regretted it after around 1 - 2 hours, boring console gameplay and repetitive level design / tasks. Quite shocking how most console players praising this.

^ Top  
  23. One Stoned Bastard Educated

One Stoned Bastard
    Strong initial impression and good/great art direction but yeah, you repeat the same task over and over again and it's mostly a boring corridor. I appreciate the lack of HUD (with a few subtle exceptions), any game that wants to be atmospheric should shed as many HUD elements as possible, ideally all of them. After all, the game is so easy that you don't need it. I just wish there were fewer over-the-top effects smeared across the screen half the time though, it's like the graphics glitch out. But I guess we're craaazy so we see triple. They could have used different levels of picture noise, like SH3 but stronger. But maybe it would have conveyed the wrong sensation (more creepy than drunk psychotic). For all I know they did, there is screen noise but I don't know if it intensifies under all those other effects. Whatever, at least it's not like that all the time.

At least you have to appreciate the effort to be creative in some ways, although this is a bit of a gaming equivalent of an Oscar bait.
    Kinda unique and hopefully it will stay that way.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    ^ Top  
  24. Ivan Arcane

Ivan
    Backtracking and pixel hunting aside (which in retrospect felt like ~10% of my time playing), this was a phenomenal experience that doubles down on theme and character. This goes without saying that if you're not interested in narrative driven games, avoid this at all costs. The combat is simplistic and won't keep you coming back for more. That being said, I found this to be incredibly moving, chock-full of moments that will stay with me that range from horrific to sublime. It's pretty incredible just how much quality content is packed within this 6-7 hour package. I don't think I've played anything as focused and confident with its themes and characters since Torment or Mask of the Betrayer.

Random Thoughts:
    -the animation work here is astounding
    -voice acting/performances are top notch
    -the audio on the whole is amazing

Highly Recommended

• Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Turbo normie Educated

Turbo normie
    Dude... The whole story is a psychotic delusion. Wtf ?

The whole game is her way to process the loss of her lover and to fight the guilt. She actually traveled to the north but the rest is all in her head.
    She's a pict into scandinavia because her tribes has been wiped out by a viking raid during her bannishment. And an ex-slave told her a lot about norsemen and their myths. Her lover was the warchief's son so he has been exectued with the bloodeagle rite it meant for her a sacrifice to Hel so she decided to get back his soul. Because that's her crazy way to denie his death.

Mental disorder + emotional trauma = Free ticket to helheim.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)