Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jade Empire impressions

suibhne

Erudite
We have plenty of news threads re. JE reviews, but no organized home-grown impressions. Since I was out sick the last few days and had time to play the game beginning to end (around 22 hours...I'm not proud :lol: ), I figured I'd start.

Volly said "It's a Bioware game - if you like them, you'll probably like JE", and he's right on the money. It has a lot in common with KotOR in terms of pacing, some storytelling design, travel, and companions, which means it shares some of KotOR's flaws - but it's also an improvement in some areas. A few rough impressions:

* Quests are mostly hub-based (with some mini-hubs off of larger hubs), but more free-form than in KotOR. There are basically two large hubs in the game, and you encounter them in linear order, but the quests surrounding each are deeper and generally more interesting than in KotOR. Some quests require more back-and-forth travel than I would've liked, but this also adds some resource-management concerns that I actually found tolerable - e.g. managing your character energy (Focus and Chi) in a large hostile area when you don't know where you'll be able to "refill".

* Some areas feature genuinely beautiful design, while others are just mind-numbingly illogical. I don't get it. In any case, just as in KotOR, there are no interesting "dungeons" - that's not how the game is organized - but some of the larger "levels" and hubs are great.

* KotOR's multiple solutions to individual quests were pretty much organized into Dark Side and Light Side baskets. JE is more sophisticated: there are often 4 or 5 distinct solutions (tho they often differ only slightly from one another), with multiple options granting Open Palm/Closed Fist points or neither.

* That said, the Closed Fist/Open Palm dichotomy itself only seems more sophisticated than Dark Side/Light Side. It's a good idea that just isn't carried very far; most of the options boil down to the same familiar "good/evil" approach you recall from every other Bioware game; the only significant difference here is that the "evil = thug" theme makes a little more sense. Overall it's a matter of Bioware presenting a moral system that more closely tracks their approach to game design, rather than adapting their game design to a more interesting moral system.

* Yes, Virginia, the rumors are true: just as in KotOR, there are late-game decisions that can basically reverse your entire in-game history up to that point; you may clock in at 100% in the Open Palm meter, but a single choice can knock you down to maybe 75% on the Closed Fist meter. I'm so tired of this kind of design.

* The plot is nothing earth-shattering or even surprising - in fact, you'll probably always be two or three steps ahead of the story - but it's told reasonably well and doesn't follow all the usual cliches. There are a few disappointing logical discontinuities, but nothing more egregious than your average prime-time TV show.

* Yes, it's a "Chosen One" storyline, but at least this is apparent from the very beginning and isn't handled like a super-secret. Deal.

* The companions are somewhat disappointing, but I think my expectations were too high. For those who care, the two "romanceable" women are somewhat unengaging imo, but three or four of the others are interesting. Characterization is overall pretty shallow - we're talking B-movie over here - but the "shtick" characters tend to be better done than the more recognizable types (mostly, I expect, because it's easier to make a shallow character interesting when he's a freakjob).

* The characters are almost all forced on you. You can almost always choose the companion who will accompany you at any given time, which is good (but usually boils down to choosing someone based on combat skills rather than personality), but you have very little choice in who will actually join your group; they pretty much just show up and stick around. This makes sense for a few of them, but others have less interesting motivations.

* Character interrelationships are amusing but extremely under-developed. The player's relationship to the companions is also under-developed, in that you can probe them for dark secrets about their past but there's no "influence" system a la KotOR2 or NWN2; it's pretty much an automatic pass, with some occasional checks for Open Palm/Closed Fist. It made me realize that, as flawed as KotOR2 and NWN2 were in this department, I've come to view a companion influence system as pretty much de rigeur.

* Dialog is mostly well-written, tho dialog trees sometimes loop back on themselves in strange ways. (E.g. Line D may be present if you get to it through Lines A, B, and C, but it can disappear when you go A-B-C-E-C...if that makes sense.) There are three dialog skills, but they overlap about 90% of the time - i.e., you'll usually see options for [Charm], [Intimidate], or [Intuition], and they all get to pretty much the same place (with the occasional difference of Open Palm/Closed Fist points). Otoh you don't actually develop those skills - they're derived stats, based on Body, Chi, and Mind - so they're not RPG skills in the most traditional sense.

* I found combat enjoyable once I got the hang of it. Unfortunately, most encounters end up being handled as in Tomb Raider or Prince of Persia - with hit-and-run tactics, jumping around the board. This ends up running afoul of a stupid design limitation: you're surrounded by an invisible fence once combat begins, forcing you to deal with the enemies rather than running away, and it's sometimes possible to bounce into that invisible fence and be stopped in your tracks while you're trying to evade enemy attacks. Think of it as fighting on the ropes in a boxing match, except you can't see the ropes and they have no relationship whatsoever to the landscape around you.

* Each individual fighting style is pretty shallow, but using them in conjunction can be enjoyable. As a big fan of wuxia and martial-arts film, I got a kick out of the animations; styles like Paralyzing Palm and Longsword are lifted faithfully from movie martial-arts combat. The game's best fights were the longest ones, facing off against multiple very distinct opponents or sometimes against one opponent utilizing multiple distinct styles. Unfortunately, there wasn't nearly enough of this.

* JE is punctuated at numerous points by bizarre 2D arcade action sequences, only somewhat better than the turret sequences in KotOR - which is to say, they're higher-quality than the turrets, but they don't make much more sense than that. Most can be avoided, thank god, but some are mandatory and can be off-putting. Even worse are some mandatory combat minigames near the end, particularly one which uses a camera view, control scheme, and sensitivity which you encounter nowhere else in the entire game. Maybe I was just frustrated from being sick, but I found that design choice to be mind-bogglingly stupid.

That's about it for now. I enjoyed the game well enough and I may try a different character again in the future, but I was also disappointed in many of its elements. Will you like it? I'd go back to Volourn's assessment, since Jade Empire, tho an improvement in some notable areas, doesn't dramatically rise above KotOR - and is grounded in a Bioware design tradition going back at least as far as BG2.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Nice. I don't agree with eveyrthing; but for the most part right on.

Some stuff:

"Yes, Virginia, the rumors are true: just as in KotOR, there are late-game decisions that can basically reverse your entire in-game history up to that point; you may clock in at 100% in the Open Palm meter, but a single choice can knock you down to maybe 75% on the Closed Fist meter. I'm so tired of this kind of design."

Join the club.

"The player's relationship to the companions is also under-developed, in that you can probe them for dark secrets about their past but there's no "influence" system a la KotOR2 or NWN2;"

Sur,e there is. It's just numbericlaly based; but based on how you interatc with them. You can even get one fellow to 'come out of the closet'. L0L I dunno of any other game that allows that. There is influence and counter influence; it's just handicpaped like NWN2 or KOTOR2 nor is it seplle dout like the latter two.

"This ends up running afoul of a stupid design limitation: you're surrounded by an invisible fence once combat begins,"

Yeah, this is rather lame.

@ Arcade Sequences: I enjoyed them as a diversion; but they most certainly don't add to the meat of the game. The game would basiclaly be the same without them for the most part.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
More challenging than KOTOR series, and NWN2. About equal - to me - as the BG series and FO series. More challenging than PST, BL, and TOEE. About equal with Arcanum. More challenging than 90% of RPGs ever created.

Then again, you find Super Mario Bros 1 hard so your exception of challenge is too skewed to take seriously.

R00fles!

Jim Kata

Arbiter
"* Character interrelationships are amusing but extremely under-developed. The player's relationship to the companions is also under-developed, in that you can probe them for dark secrets about their past but there's no "influence" system a la KotOR2 or NWN2; it's pretty much an automatic pass, with some occasional checks for Open Palm/Closed Fist. It made me realize that, as flawed as KotOR2 and NWN2 were in this department, I've come to view a companion influence system as pretty much de rigeur."

but this was totally fucktarded at least in nwn2[edit:, and influence systems are just fucking stupid]. The idea [edit: of complicated interaction with party members where you act as their father figure]is sort of stupid, too. Planescape does it well, but just because the writing is good. If anything things should be time and event driven, like in BG - but this is super secondary to any real game or should be....

Yes volly you are right. I did not elaborate very well. Influence is a crap idea, but the way planescape and bg II did it it came out well, though I don't thinkt hat should be the focus of a game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
PST doesn't handle influence like either NWN2 or KOTOR2. It handles it like a RPG should - realistically not with a fullblown lame system.

suibhne

Erudite
The Walkin' Dude said:
So is it easy as other Biowhore/Obsidian games?

I focused primarily on weapon styles, so I found groups of ghosts challenging for much of the game. On the flip side, my longsword cut through human and demon opponents like a hot knife through ice cream. The game is set up with three types of enemies: humans, ghosts, and demons. Humans are vulnerable to everything, but ghosts and demons have some immunities. Depending on how you build your character, some combat areas may be easy while others are challenging.

I played on normal (Master) difficulty only. At Grand Master or Jade Master, I'm sure things would be much more challenging. Otoh, I doubt they'd be much more interesting; combat would probably just take longer. :wink:

The actual combat system is an action system. It's not even remotely tactical compared to something like BG2, much less ToEE; its only tactical element is coordinating your own fighting styles. But I enjoyed it enough that the action didn't irritate me as in, say, Oblivion, and I wasn't actually bothered by having no control over my companions in battle. Your mileage may vary.

suibhne

Erudite
Re. companion influence: yes, I agree that overt numerical tallies of your influence with companions is a jarringly artificial approach. Otoh, I felt JE companions didn't provide enough feedback in reaction to your conversations with them; aside from the obvious romance conversations, it's sometimes difficult to judge their reactions. It's a tough call between NWN2/KotOR2's artificiality and JE's vagueness, but I lean toward game mechanisms which provide adequate feedback.

I'm not sure how to explain it better than this, but I felt that much of my interaction with JE companions was minimal - even tho I tried to get as much info from them as possible, as often as possible. It's partly a function of the high number of companions and the short length of the game. I had 8 (regular) companions for much of the game, and the game's only 20-25 hours long; there's no way to spend much time with more than one or two of them. Otoh, it's also true that there just isn't as much companion content as I wanted to see.

neuromantik

Scholar
And now for the Jade Empire/Oblivion comparison...

John Cleese > Patric Stewart

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"humans, ghosts, and demons."

You forgot golems.

"John Cleese > Patric Stewart"

No; but he did a terrific job in JE, and Stweart was dumb enough to do Oblivion.

Drone39

Novice
Oceanic release date?

Heya folks,

Does anyone know when JE gets released in Australia? I pre-loaded it through Steam but I'm still getting the 'game isn't released yet' message. I thought I recalled it being released on 2 March, am I wrong?

Oh and John Cleese > Patrick Stewart? Well, he's taller, funnier, married a hotter woman who was quite a decent comedian herself, and most of all he didn't do Oblivion. Of course Patrick Stewart is a better actor, but...John Cleese didn't do Oblivion. You don't get to just walk away from association with that - if he ever wins a Oscar (ok that's unlikely, but a stage award or a Tony might be feasible) they should force him to have the words 'but remember that he also did Oblivion' engraved on it.

sabishii

Arbiter
I just finished JE... overall play time of about 21 hours. On the other hand I played (replayed, 2nd time through) KotOR last week and logged 28 hours. Though I played it (KotOR) on the Xbox this time, and may have been through it faster on a PC with keyboard & mouse.

I'm thinking of replaying it... but I dunno whether I'll do Jade Master difficulty. I started out in Grand Master and then switched to Master halfway through the game because, while it is nice to make normal-attack-spamming less effective, hard-hitting enemies & small walled fighting areas that don't give me room to dodge don't really mix. I don't like that I do less damage, either, as that just means the fight takes twice as long. I'd rather that upping the difficulty improved the AI rather than just tipping the stats to the NPCs' favor. Meh.

Texas Red

Whiner
An average playthrough of 20 hours? They claimed that NWN OC lasted *140* hours. What can we expect from ME that so hyped for its supposedly huge campaign? :roll:

sabishii

Arbiter
The Walkin' Dude said:
An average playthrough of 20 hours? They claimed that NWN OC lasted *140* hours. What can we expect from ME that so hyped for its supposedly huge campaign? :roll:
I don't think they claimed a high played time for Jade Empire, did they? I just remember reading yesterday on the Bioware forums a moderator admitting that the playtime for JE is less than their other RPGs.

Texas Red

Whiner
sabishii said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
I don't think they claimed a high played time for Jade Empire, did they? I just remember reading yesterday on the Bioware forums a moderator admitting that the playtime for JE is less than their other RPGs.

What matters is that looking at JE, NWN OC(if you dont count the time of chest bashing or the endless and identical dungeons) and KotOR, there is no way for ME to be more than 30 hours total in lenght. And, when judging ME, we should also consider the overhyped graphics which no doubt take up majority of their time.

I hate democracy and capitalism. You can blatantly lie to anyone for your profit without any consequences.

DemonKing

Arcane
Re: Oceanic release date?

Drone39 said:
Does anyone know when JE gets released in Australia? I pre-loaded it through Steam but I'm still getting the 'game isn't released yet' message. I thought I recalled it being released on 2 March, am I wrong?

Should be unlocked now - I've been playing it for a few hours on Steam.

I've just entered the swamp and so far I'm enjoying it - it's very KOTOR so if you could handle that game then this shouldn't be too hard on you.

I don't like the lack of inventory - makes it feel more like an adventure game than a CRPG to me somehow.

The combat is ok, although the early fights on the beach were pretty toguh given you can't save between combats.

Have to admit it looks pretty good in 1280 x 1024.

So far a qualified thumbs up. I'll post some more once "Thundering Flatulence" gets a little bit further on in her quest.

Delirious Nomad

Scholar
I like to add, it's running very well on my sub-standard machine ( Athlon 1,73 Mhz, 1 GB Ram, worthless FX 5??? gfx card on 1280*1024 just without soft shadows ). Actually better than NWN2, Olivia, Gothic and even KotoR. To me a well running game, that isn't constantly loading, is a big basic for immersion.

I'm happy with the character developing system. Sure it's not as deep as D&D, but I have been developing ( 3rd edition ) D&D characters with Icewind Dale 2, NWN 1+2, KotoR 1+2 and ToeE, so I'm prefering something fresh and the overall uniqueness of Jade Empire.

I think it's very atmospheric and does feature the best Bioware combat.

I'm just one day/10 hours in the game, so maybe the bad points will come clearer. It took me about 50 hours to grasp the real nature of Morrowind.

aries202

Erudite
Thank you, suibhne for your brave review of this game.

It is a game I certainly will look forward to playing.

As for the lenght of it, I think that Bioware said that it would be short game, focused mainly on action, but with a somewhat decent story as well, when the game first was released for X box.

Short meaning about 20-25 (or maybe 30) hours.

As for Mass Effect, well I think that underneath all that glossyness of the visuals is a decent story which, I for one, rather would be seen told well in about 30-40 hours
than told poorly in about 60-80 hours. And I do think that the sidequests in
Mass Effect are going to take about 20-30 hours altogether.

And then, there's the littlew thing of of not only 1 game, but three games...

Anyway, great review of Jade Empire...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Re: Oceanic release date?

DemonKing said:
I don't like the lack of inventory - makes it feel more like an adventure game than a CRPG to me somehow.
Strange, since adventure games tend to have inventories...

taxacaria

Scholar
I agree to suibhne in most points.

I've finished JE in 19 hours - and that's really too short.
Imo 40 bucks for 19 hours isn't ok.

I'm not a great action or Kung-Fu fan, so these features can't compensate for annoying minigames and short playtime. Maybe in KotoR such minigames are tolerable because of KotoR's StarWars background - but in JE there is no reason at all to implement that shit.
Furthermore I'm missing a decent char developement system. The JE system is too simple in my eyes.
The replay value is low, except for action fans, perhaps.

here is a quote of bioware QA Stanley Woo about JE's extreme short playtime
...Because games are getting more complex and, therefore, more expensive to make, it makes sense for the industry to start making shorter games in an effort to capture and keep those "fast" players. It also makes sense to iterate more often in order to take advantage of the initial hype, just like movies gauge a lot of their success by the opening weekend box office totals, and they go to DVD a lot faster than they used to...

Dear Stanley, I'm glad to hear that I've bought a one-way full price "play-and-forget" game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"they should force him to have the words 'but remember that he also did Oblivion' engraved on it."

Haha.

"focused mainly on action"

Not true. Just like ME, while JE is an Action RPG, it's a RPG first; Action game second. The only real difference between JE and BIO's other games is that the combat is action oriented while the rping is basiclaly the same but better.

"They claimed that NWN OC lasted *140* hours."

That's absolutely bullshit.

"You can blatantly lie to anyone for your profit without any consequences"

Only one lying is you. You, and your 'Yes, I lvoe NWN2, no, I hate NWN2 crap.'

BIO never pomised a long game with JE. And,s ince the xbox version has been released for 2 years, anyone buying the PC version and whining about the length is quit frnakly pathetic since the game has been out for 2 years.

P.S. Anyone claiming that they beta gamne in around 20 hours or shorter doesn't know how to play games properly.

Game over, RUSHERS, game over.

It's NOT a fuckin' race.

Texas Red

Whiner
No, Volourn, its not bullshit.

Gamespot censored, bribed interview:

Playing the single-player game through from start to finish takes about 140 hours or more if you try to do everything (that's how long it took me, in any event).

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/neverwin ... id=2870463

I suggest you read all of the previews and reviews over there(and other places). Then come talking here that its their opinion or whatever. Opinion that every major hyped game deserves 9 plus reviews and no criticism.

taxacaria

Scholar
Volourn said:
BIO never pomised a long game with JE. And,s ince the xbox version has been released for 2 years, anyone buying the PC version and whining about the length is quit frnakly pathetic since the game has been out for 2 years.
It doesn't matter if Bioware has promised a long game or not.
The short playing time is a fact. And the price is a fact. So it's correct to mention that, isn't it?

Anyone claiming that they beta gamne in around 20 hours or shorter doesn't know how to play games properly.
If there isn't enough substance to enjoy the playing time, it makes no sense to stay any longer. As I mentioned, I'm not an action or arcade fan, so I will not replay the game a second time. I don't like JE's combat style. The remaining char developement isn't very interesting - the quests are done, and I've tested a number of ingame decisions. From what I saw, I'm not motivated to explore all options by the price of another round JE.
There are people playing Pacman for several months and don't get bored with it. That doesn't says that other people don't know how to play Pacman - that says they're gaining knowledge faster. And there are people like me - wasting 20 hours to create a perfect party in some RPGs they like. Maybe I had more motivation if I liked JE.

sabishii

Arbiter
P.S. Anyone claiming that they beta gamne in around 20 hours or shorter doesn't know how to play games properly.
I didn't rush. I did all the side quests. In fact, I said I re-beat KotOR in 28 hours as a point of comparison, and I was much more likely to rush because I already had done the boring quests before. You're starting to sounds like the "but you didn't read all the books" Oblivion fanboys.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"The short playing time is a fact. And the price is a fact. So it's correct to mention that, isn't it?"

I was disputting what you said, moron. In fact, I wans't even replying to you; but TWD's accusation's of BIO lying about it.

"You're starting to sounds like the "but you didn't read all the books" Oblivion fanboys."

I'm just stating a fact. If you beat the game in 20 hours or less, you rushed. Plain, and simple.

"As I mentioned, I'm not an action or arcade fan, so I will not replay the game a second time. I don't like JE's combat style"

Then you shouldn't have bought the game. It's combat style was no sectre. Nor was its length. And, it's role-playing side is basiclaly like any other BIO game; but better.

"Playing the single-player game through from start to finish takes about 140 hours or more if you try to do everything (that's how long it took me, in any event)."

You should quote the whole thing, TWD, or else you look stupid. Ther eis no promise of 140 hours. He simply point soutt hat's how long it took him. Idiot.

And, proof please about bribery.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom