Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

jClassicRPG dev / discussion thread

timong

Novice
New release is out!

Code:
- Ported to Ardor3D engine, to resolve some stability issues
- New buildings (by tidbit)
- New voicpacks (by various contributors)
- Bugfixes
- New secondary terrain added for large view distance
- Corrected Shadow and Depth of Field effect

Technical alpha testing is highly appreciated if anyone can share one's hardware to run it and report back how it goes. Thanks!

Link to DOWNLOAD and instructions to install/run: http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/j ... ClassicRPG

Direct link to zip: https://sourceforge.net/projects/javacr ... p/download

How is it going, folks? :P

Tails

Arbiter
Last time I check out jClassicRPG was year ago or something. Downloading now :) Keep it up timong, I'm going to post hardware report later on.
[edit]
Hm jClassicRPG crashes for me during (or after finishing, hard to say) generation of the world, no matter what settings I take. Is jCLassicRPG writing saves kind of log? anyway, configuration (laptop) is:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, GPU: nVidia GeForce 9300M GS, Memory: 2GB DDR2-SDRAM.

timong

Novice
Tails said:
Last time I check out jClassicRPG was year ago or something. Downloading now :) Keep it up timong, I'm going to post hardware report later on.
[edit]
Hm jClassicRPG crashes for me during (or after finishing, hard to say) generation of the world, no matter what settings I take. Is jCLassicRPG writing saves kind of log? anyway, configuration (laptop) is:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, GPU: nVidia GeForce 9300M GS, Memory: 2GB DDR2-SDRAM.

There's a log file in your home/user directory's APPDATA dir if using windows (under jclassicrpg/log). Also if you run it from 'cmd' command line, you will have another set of output that may help discover what the problem is. Thanks for the report! I hope you can find the log and see how you can run it from command line... PM me if you found something, i'll take a look at it! Thanks

roll-a-die

Magister
deuxhero said:
Waiit? There is stuff of actual worth in Java other than shoddy?
Minecraft, WURM online, Heaven and Hearth, Netbeans and Ellipse IDEs, a multitude of programing languages built on the JVM platform, Alchemy, Processing, I could go on.

It's speed has improved considerably from the days when it was the large vessel the tug boats pushed. It's nearly at native app level run speed. :P

timong

Novice
roll-a-die said:
deuxhero said:
Waiit? There is stuff of actual worth in Java other than shoddy?
Minecraft, WURM online, Heaven and Hearth, Netbeans and Ellipse IDEs, a multitude of programing languages built on the JVM platform, Alchemy, Processing, I could go on.

It's speed has improved considerably from the days when it was the large vessel the tug boats pushed. It's nearly at native app level run speed. :P

Thanks for summing it up. Java with its native C binding is not so bad for cross-platform OpenGL game development with all the nice cakes of GLSL and modern stuff.

Soon to publish a technical fix update, especially intended for older cards (not older than fx5xxx and 6xxx!) and nVidia cards (related to shader problems and stuff). MacOS users with nVidia cards should be able to run it this time...(strong restrictions of mac nvidia drivers on using const Floats instead of constant Integer caused the driver to crash the game.) So stay tuned! :)

timong

Novice
ecliptic said:
Kudos for sticking with this one. An impressive sustained effort.
Thanks! Well, actually its kind of periodicly sustained...when i had enough playing modern RPG craps and cakes i turn back to my beloved code... :P

timong

Novice
And here it is... fixes around half dozen of different problems with the previous release that were uncovered during the test/feedback process:

http://jcrpg.blogspot.com/2010/06/fix-p ... lable.html

Direct DOWNLOAD for fixpack:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/javacr ... p/download

Extract it in the installed game's directory, overwriting all the stuff.

Applies on the previous release, direct download for prev. release:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/javacr ... p/download

Testing is highly appreciated!

timong

Novice
Elzair said:
Will this run on an Intel GMA 950?
Well, aside the poor performance generally intel drivers produce, there's another problem with Intel VGA drivers, unfortunately they have added some new parts to their driver which causes the game to crash instantly with the UI code. Both Linux and Windows drivers they produced in the last year are not working. Drivers 3 years old were working.

Officially the game is supposed to work with Nvidia and ATI drivers these days.

Well, another part of the story is, that commenting out some ASSERT codes (which got in the last year) in the Linux mesa driver of gma965 made it work ok, but I don't think they will remove those ASSERT parts soon. :(

Elzair

Cipher
I Want to use it on my mac book, so i'm worried about OSX support.

timong

Novice
Elzair said:
I Want to use it on my mac book, so i'm worried about OSX support.
All I can say is that nVidia and aTI is supposed to be working (testers reported). No Intel GMA testers yet. But unfortunately my supposition is that Intel driver is just as crappy for OSX as any other platform.
If you happen to test it pls drop a reply here...thanks! :)

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You gotta work on the popping somehow. How is Ardor3d compared to the JavaMonkeyEngine? I used it once, and fucked up something in the scenegraph (point light overloaded all the ambient light).

SCO said:
You gotta work on the popping somehow. How is Ardor3d compared to the JavaMonkeyEngine? I used it once, and fucked up something in the scenegraph (point light overloaded all the ambient light).

I read that as 'You gotta work on the pooping somehow'

put a 'poop' button in the game which creates a turd mesh

you have to cover them up or people will track you,

certain monsters can be placated with the turds, some people use them as currency, but if you carry around too many you will suffer a reaction penalty.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Not a ton of activity in this thread and the project seems abandoned? Either way I'm unstickying it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom