Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Kodex Kriegsspiel Klub - Historical Wargames

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Beautiful terrain Aqualung where did you get the town gates? By the way, have you had any success converting 40Kiddies to historicals with Lion Rampant? I've debated basing some stuff up on Impetus/HOTT/DBA stands (I assume the stands would also work with the Rampant engine) and trying my luck at slowly introducing the idea of ancients rules to them under the guise of low fantasy.

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Ah, HO is going to be my 15mm/18mm go to - especially for modern/near future rules since some stuff can be had fairly cheap, plus bucketloads of trees at that size are fairly cheap.

I know what you mean about folks being used to official models, describing the Ral Partha Chaos Wars* rules to people and explaining that they can handle almost anything on the market despite having an official line (albeit split between two companies) usually catches them by surprise. I'm hoping that plopping down my hodgepodge mass of Ral Partha, Perry, Gripping Beast, and Foundry stuff can inspire some down at the shop to look further afield than just GW and Warlord.

*The Chaos Wars rules are a free fantasy rule set with a nice unit building system, but I feel the old Grenadier Fantasy Warriors rules (also free) have more gameplay depth to them thanks to the scouting, time of day, and command systems.

Ali Assa Seen

Arbiter
Alas, I have neither the square footage or friends that would be interested in playing a WW2 wargame with me, at least not more than once.

If you are struggling for space then try shuffling down to 15mm, 10mm, or 6mm and just treat all the inch measurement as being in centimetres on a table ~70x50cm. Chain of Command lacks an inbuilt AI system that most solo games have but playing both sides still works due to the command dice system restricting your actions. But if you want a game with an included AI system there's a bunch in the Nordic Weasel catalogue that get rave reviews, the 5core system most of them use is pretty intuitive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom