Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Legend of Grimrock

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also, top seller on Steam :incline:
It's nice to know that a real-time blobber can make more money in a day than Knights of the Chalice has in three years.
This was heavily hyped and marketed (by independent game standards anyway), and Knights of the Chalice wasn't. I'm sure the graphics and non-blindness-inducing text (yeah he fixed it in a patch but first impressions count for a lot) help too.

serch

Magister
Strafe-combat sucks but the rest of the game is pretty fun.

They designed combat with this in mind. No way you will win vs 3 skeleton warriors on lvl two on hard difficulty, without strafing (which is hard in small room with 3 enemies).
Yo can put yourself in a position in which you fight one each time, close door, heal, open door, fight another...

MMXI

Arcane
Also, top seller on Steam :incline:
It's nice to know that a real-time blobber can make more money in a day than Knights of the Chalice has in three years.
This was heavily hyped and marketed (by independent game standards anyway), and Knights of the Chalice wasn't. I'm sure the graphics and non-blindness-inducing text (yeah he fixed it in a patch but first impressions count for a lot) help too.
Well, it is those reasons why Steam probably wouldn't accept the game anyway.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Anyone else getting their butt kicked on hard difficulty?
These damn spiders, when there are 2-3 of them in a tight space, it's impossible to not get cornered in and totally slaughtered.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm already stuck in level 2! I found a note saying Shelter Left, Cells Right and then a locked door. I can't find the key. ._.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Impressions so far: It is very pretty. Interface is very bad. Combat is INDESCRIBABLY AWFUL! Seriously guys, is there some way I can one-click attack for my entire party or autoattack? I mean, I like the 90ies as much as the next man, but having to click each individual character portrait all the time to attack is a FUCKING TRAVESTY in this day and age. Magic system looks promising, but the game doesn't really tell you how to use it at all.

Are you sure, you like '90 style of RPG? Because that is exactly style of fighting from Dungeon Master (and EOB's and many other). Rune based magic system is also similar to the one from DM. Combat and Magic are exactly as supposed to be. As for one-button-awesomeness... well... there are plenty modern awesome RPG'sque... with one-button-sques-awesomeness.

MMXI

Arcane
Impressions so far: It is very pretty. Interface is very bad. Combat is INDESCRIBABLY AWFUL! Seriously guys, is there some way I can one-click attack for my entire party or autoattack? I mean, I like the 90ies as much as the next man, but having to click each individual character portrait all the time to attack is a FUCKING TRAVESTY in this day and age. Magic system looks promising, but the game doesn't really tell you how to use it at all.

Are you sure, you like '90 style of RPG? Because that is exactly style of fighting from Dungeon Master (and EOB's and many other). Rune based magic system is also similar to the one from DM. Combat and Magic are exactly as supposed to be. As for one-button-awesomeness... well... there are plenty modern awesome RPG'sque... with one-button-sques-awesomeness.
There's nothing bad about macros. It's the need or want for macros that's the issue. If someone wants a button to attack with all characters together then either the game should have one or the game shouldn't make it desirable to want to do that. Comparing it to Dragon Age's awesome button stuff isn't really warranted here.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
I'm already stuck in level 2! I found a note saying Shelter Left, Cells Right and then a locked door. I can't find the key. ._.

Can you spoiler-tag on this forum? I will try

Look around behind the gates

Hope it helped. :)

RatFink

Educated
really, really liking this!

i told myself to stop when the clock hits the witching hour...i could not do it...
that in itself told me I like it! Has been quite some time Ive been hooked on a game.
enough for today.
Human swordsman
Minotaur Mace bludgeoner
Lizardman Rogue which I would like to train in archery..but there are soo few arrows..so for now he can attack from the backrow
Insectoid Mage which I fear to be horribly wrong skilled because he knows a bit of every Magic...well who cares works for now!
All lvl 6

Plus:
Dungeon level ...5 I think has different textures hehe. Did not really expect that to be honest. Nice surprise tho[/quote]

Cant wait whats going to come in DLC...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

Can you spoiler-tag on this forum? I will try

Look around behind the gates

Hope it helped. :)
I didn't know you could...
Those bastards!

Thank you!

Very disappointed in my Insectoid mage... he's still level 1 and everyone else is already 2.

CorpseZeb

Learned
There's nothing bad about macros. It's the need or want for macros that's the issue. If someone wants a button to attack with all characters together then either the game should have one or the game shouldn't make it desirable to want to do that. Comparing it to Dragon Age's awesome button stuff isn't really warranted here.

Yes, but of course, there is also a sentiment factor. I'm looking for a "modern" classic DM/EoB experience, and, ONE button would ruin somewhat that. Nah, "one button" would be totally anti-climatic, even as an option lurking and glowing evilly in the options. Well, there is always a line to draw, between an ergonomic and a intentional choices/"flaw" of design. LoG is retro for retro, I think. Not a retro for modern...?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Very disappointed in my Insectoid mage... he's still level 1 and everyone else is already 2.

As long as you didn't fuck him up like me... I spent 1 point in earth magic, 1 in fire magic and 1 in spellwhatever, I couldn't use any spells until it leveled up :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

As long as you didn't fuck him up like me... I spent 1 point in earth magic, 1 in fire magic and 1 in spellwhatever, I couldn't use any spells until it leveled up :(
I fucked up worse than you my bro, I have 1 point in earth/fire/wind/ice and 2 in spellcraft. ._.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm considering going 3x minotaur melee brawlers and a bitch mage just going for wands or some shit.
Gotta pop them moles.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I'm considering going 3x minotaur melee brawlers and a bitch mage just going for wands or some shit.
Gotta pop them moles.

Minotaur brawlers f*** things up. I have two of them. They are beasts! Literally.
Yeah I noticed how my bitch rogue couldn't stab for shit while my minotaur fisted ass left and right.
Magic spells require too much clicking for a non-korean like me and ranged combat is too tedious with picking shit up.

I wish it was turn-based. :(

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
How do I shot web, I mean, use that wand you get from the first iron door? Does it just make my spells stronger or can I zap it somehow?

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Gotta pop them moles.

Minotaur brawlers f*** things up. I have two of them. They are beasts! Literally.
Yeah I noticed how my bitch rogue couldn't stab for shit while my minotaur fisted ass left and right.
Magic spells require too much clicking for a non-korean like me and ranged combat is too tedious with picking shit up.

I wish it was turn-based. :(

I also wish it was turn-based. I don't like how frantic and "messy" some battles turn out, having me fumbling to the inventory, trying to quickly use a healing potion on one of my dying party members, only to fail because I wasn't speedy enough. Should be able to hotkey that shit.
Also, too much dancing with the enemies. I don't mind a bit of manual dodging, but damn, this shit is disorientating.

How do I shot web, I mean, use that wand you get from the first iron door? Does it just make my spells stronger or can I zap it somehow?

It just gives you +5 energy to the one wielding it.

CorpseZeb

Learned
Let's be straight here. Do you think it's a flaw in the design?

No, I don't think so, because, there's not so much activity in the classic dungeon crawling besides... crawling itself, so, fight with the "one button" (like, say, quick attack in the MM6+) oversimplify too much the gameplay (retro sentiment aside).

"Flaw", mind the comas, means ergonomic "flaw" in the modern sense. I mean, it's like "automap" option. Yes, it's "retro" anticlimactic (also, simplify the gameplay), yet, at the same time, lack of this option, turns off from the game much larger population of gamers, than lack of "one-button" attack. First is a just time saver (for an adults not having too much time), second is a mere inconvenience/cool strategic option/sentimental value for the most of players. Inconvenience isn't a "flaw", loosing players is a flaw.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
I think the green-eyed cat is saying that that the automap is a convenience option that doesn't change the fundamental model/gameplay within dungeon crawling, but whereas the one button attack is something that definitely goes against the established structure.

In short automaps are the proper version of something being made 'accessible' without losing the old school spirit whereas one button combat would be the usual modern style of dilution and streamlining.

Stabwound

Arcane
I have to say that the combat is by far the weakest point of the game. At least when playing on Hard difficulty, you have to run backwards through the dungeon, or spin around in circles while fighting, which I find literally nauseating and disorienting.

I might have to swallow my pride and restart on normal difficulty. I feel like I'm going to puke.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I also wish it was turn-based. I don't like how frantic and "messy" some battles turn out, having me fumbling to the inventory, trying to quickly use a healing potion on one of my dying party members, only to fail because I wasn't speedy enough. Should be able to hotkey that shit.
That is basically the entire point of combat. It's meant to be fast and frantic. Time is a resource like in any action-style game. That's why being able to hotkey "everyone drink a potion" or "everyone attack" would be stupid - the time it takes you to move the mouse and right-click for basic strikes and cast spells (with the potential to screw up your runes) is where much of the difficulty and tactics come in.

MMXI

Arcane
No, I don't think so, because, there's not so much activity in the classic dungeon crawling besides... crawling itself, so, fight with the "one button" (like, say, quick attack in the MM6+) oversimplify too much the gameplay (retro sentiment aside).

"Flaw", mind the comas, means ergonomic "flaw" in the modern sense. I mean, it's like "automap" option. Yes, it's "retro" anticlimactic (also, simplify the gameplay), yet, at the same time, lack of this option, turns off from the game much larger population of gamers, than lack of "one-button" attack. First is a just time saver (for an adults not having too much time), second is a mere inconvenience/cool strategic option/sentimental value for the most of players. Inconvenience isn't a "flaw", loosing players is a flaw.
Well all you're saying is that it's less important than including auto-mapping. That's fair enough, and I agree, but at least one person in this thread has asked for a party attack button. I think the issue here is that attacking with each character individually is part of what makes these types of games what they are. If the developers ramp up the difficulty while increasing the tactical options then it'd be a frantic mess that would be better off turn-based. However, it wouldn't be a Dungeon Master clone then. On the other hand, if they added convenience buttons like a party attack button then it would actually take away from the busy work that makes a Dungeon Master clone a Dungeon Master clone. They are sort of trapped in bad design.

EDIT:
That is basically the entire point of combat. It's meant to be fast and frantic. Time is a resource like in any action-style game. That's why being able to hotkey "everyone drink a potion" or "everyone attack" would be stupid - the time it takes you to move the mouse and right-click for basic strikes and cast spells (with the potential to screw up your runes) is where much of the difficulty and tactics come in.
Indeed. That's exactly the point I'm trying to make too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom