Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's Play MMVI: The Mandate of Heaven

DaveO

Erudite
Leveling up only takes six days, even if you go up multiple levels. Later M&M games set each level-up to six days.

I'm sure you'll find VARN interesting and hopefully challenging. I recall taking quite some time to clear that place. If you're using the GreyFace patches, you can get through the bugged doors in version 1.2. The Mok patch fixes the door bugs present in version 1.2 as well, and it does not make as many changes as GreyFace does.

P.S. - Count me in for your Evil MM7 party(as a Druid since they get a Dragon NPC if doing the Evil path), and you WILL need GreyFace for MM8 if you want to do the Wasp Nest.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Here's a little teaser for the coming update. :smug:

6VlmM.jpg

Notice the plus to attack. Doesn't seem like missing is an option. M:

I should probably be clear though, the next update will be a while coming, as it'll be a beast to transcribe. But given that it will contain 6 large and hard dungeons, I rather think it's worth the effort. :salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm a bad, bad person.. I got sidetracked by this LP, but seeing as I have now completed that game, I guess work should soon resume on the next update here. I have the screenshots sorted and in order, just need to fill in the wordy parts. :M

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was once mocked because i mentioned this game's dungeon design favorably when comparing it to recent (horrendous) games. Either Skyrim or DA2.

Kids these days, don't know shit about anything. I didn't even bring out Daggerfall, because i feel that MMVI dungeons have far more structure. These stupid stupid people who call themselves gamers man... Bet if i mentioned Ultima Underworld, they'd still think DA2 had better dungeons.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
MM6 dungeon design is awesome and anyone who thinks otherwise is a faggot. There :rpgcodex:

Looking forward to the next update.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
This update is long overdue, and I apologize for this. I was sidetracked by another LP on this site, and had to try out said game for myself. No more acts of avoidance for me. :oops:
I've jumped on the spoiler tag bandwagon, let me know if I should refrain from this or if it's better this way.
Without further ado, let's get it on with the compulsory dungeons. The least accesible one first. :M
2cWca.jpg

Last time we were given permission to use the Royal Yacht, and using that we can travel to the southwestern most overland map. The only point of real interest there is the Supreme Temple of Baa. The overland map itself is densely populated by hordes of dangerous foes, but with a fly spell, they can all be passed by and ignored, which is what I did. :smug:
Just inside the temple, a teleporter can be found:
uvIWV.jpg

3eikY.jpg

This is a shortcut away from the overland map called "Hermit's Isle". And where does it take us?
x4g2b.jpg

1bQWp.jpg

qT0KP.jpg

Free Haven sewers.. Thus establishing how Slicker Silvertongue could escape easily from the capital to the most remote part of the map.
Anyhow, this temple boasts some impressive vistas, including narrow walkways over a sea of lava:
4oDaP.jpg

Yeah. I know. The lava isn't visible in this screenshot, but we'll see it later. :M
As you have probably guessed, this dungeon contains not only priests and followers of Baa, but also devils. The temple has allied itself with these beasts that are intent on destroying the world. Dick-move. :roll:
lkRj8.jpg

They're easily dispatched in close combat. Later on we will encounter more menacing devil types, but these wingless ones are pretty much just meat for the grinder. :smug:
Eventually, after the grinding of much meat:
lO3zy.jpg

kYSQJ.jpg

One down, three to go. :smug:
I promised a shot of the lava. I have a special and personally pleasing reason to do so:
XZcXO.jpg

Seems our threatening friend, Slicker Silvertongue fell into the lava when he spotted me. Now, for some odd reason, the lava doesn't damage the monsters, but it will make short work of our party, so I leave this dungeon satisfied in the knowledge that there's no way out of the lava pit, short of teleporting or flying, skills which the monsters here lack. :incline: Burn or starve traitor, I care not. M:
Here's a map of the place:
HnDy7.jpg

1. Teleporter to the Free Haven Sewers
2 through 6. Altars that will damage the character touching them, but eventually grant a +10 to all elemental resists
7. Bridges spanning the molten lava, with switches that when manipulated will retract/extend different bridges. Sadly, making a bridge disappear from under a group of enemies, will not make them fall into the pit. Bug I guess.
8. Memory Crystal
9. Slicker Silvertongue
10. Chest that when opened, will spawn some devils behind the party
A rather straightforward dungeon, and surprisingly the easiest of the memory crystal dungeons. No real puzzles to speak of, when you get to the bridges and switches, you just continue pulling switches until you can reach the area you want to. It's purely sequential.
As for the monsters, they're easy. The monsters likely to be most annoying are the fire elementals, as they use ranged attacks and can fly. Anything that tries to melee you in here is easy pickings at this stage.
I didn't kill Slicker Silvertongue as he was in an unreachable location, and I felt pretty smug about just leaving him to literally stew, even if the game doesn't apply periodic lava damage to monsters.
The next dungeon was more challenging, Castle Alamos:
MZknp.jpg

Unfortunately, FRAPS bugged out on me again on this map, so I didn't catch the puzzle part of the dungeon, but this one actually has you thinking. :incline:
In five different places in the dungeon, you receive clues to the codeword you need to enter to access the memory crystal. The clues are all etched into the bark of trees. So if you see a tree like this one, you know there is a clue:
i36S9.jpg

For some reason, it didn't catch the clue itself. On this tree it is "The forth is eight from the end, Archibald really is your friend!" :M
Inside this dungeon, the monsters are a bit tougher, as they consist of the sorcerer types, air elementals and finally magyars, which are female melee fighters:
pvct7.jpg

hgmEj.jpg

KpZ2m.jpg

Magyars are meat for the grinder. The elementals and sorecers on the other hand are ranged attackers, and the former can fly. Annoying, but doable. The third tier sorcerers, the warlocks can cause insanity with their attacks, as is apparent from the above screenshots. :smug: I don't mind much about the insanity debuff, as it seems to boost strength and endurance, and these stats are important for Bashing Stuff.
Anyway, just before finding the stuff apparent in the next two screenshots, you're halted by an invisible wall and prompted to say the codeword.
wQ78G.jpg

XYJ0F.jpg

I'll divulge the codeword when I comment on the map. The letter tells us that King Ironfists brother Archibald is the direct reason we're doing these fedex quests. Annoying fellow, isn't he? M:
Finally, there's also a teleporter to be found here in Castle Alamos.
3GdEg.jpg

This one leads to Silver Cove, so you wouldn't have to catch a boat back. Rather irrelevant if you can teleport, but hey..
qTHJX.jpg

And the map of the place:
6jFVR.jpg

1. Clue tree "The first into the half the forth plus one, better hurry or you'll be done!"
2. Clue tree "The second is next to the third, ho so pretty like a bird!"
3. Clue tree "The third is first of twenty six, A through Z you'll have to mix!"
4. Clue tree "The forth is eight from the end, Archibald really is your friend!"
5. Clue tree "The fifth is twice the second, five letters in all I reckon!"
6. Chest with key for 9
7. Chest with key for 8
8. Treasure room
9. Teleporter room
10. Room without a door, need to use a teleporter to reach here
11. Restricted area, need to type the following to enter
JBARD
12. Memory Crystal
13. Teleporter to 10
14. Switch to open 15
15. Door
16. Warlock with Letter to Gharik
17. This pool spawns monsters
As I've already remarked upon, this dungeon is tougher than the Supreme Temple of Baa due not only to the monsters being more annoying, but particularly also because this dungeon actually has a puzzle for you to figure out. Admittedly, it's not terribly difficult unless you don't figure out that the third clue tells you to use the alphabet as the cipher. From there on, the puzzle isn't that hard, but it's a pleasant change from not having to use your puzzlesolving skills at all.
That's two out of four down.
Next dungeon is huge. It's
14bGF.jpg

This dungeon holds these three types of monsters: ogres, liches and flying eyes. It even holds a unique, the Lich King.
Liches we've covered before. Annoying ranged attackers that will occasionally dispel all magic. Flying eyes even more so, with the added benefit of more hitpoints. This time I managed to get screenshots of the different varieties of eyes:
CbOLh.jpg

r0EkQ.jpg

MmiFP.jpg

Fortunately, as I've already mentioned earlier in this LP, the dark magic spell Dragon Breath rocks at taking out groups of flying eyes. :incline:
The ogres I won't go into detail about. They're less threatening than magyars. Easy pickings.
As I said, this dungeon is huge. It has plenty of really large rooms, and also some caverns.
aQh36.jpg

The blue cube you see suspended in this room is a special type of doorknob. You need to read a plaque first, after which it changes colour and it will remove a wall when touched. Like this:
BUwik.jpg

aB3vj.jpg

I don't remember exactly what the sign said, but something along the lines of "red opens the way"..
There are two such special doorknobs.
9bE2a.jpg

UPkoQ.jpg

The second sign holds a similar message, though slightly different. After fiddling with the second red cube, you can acces a large room densely populated by liches. In this screenshot, I've cleared the first part of the room (see all the yellow dots), 'ported out of the dungeon to refill the spellpoint pool, and returned to kill the rest.
YVCJV.jpg

Inside this room, we also encounter the unique:
9dufA.jpg

Ordinary liches have 100/180/280 hitpoints, depending on their tier, so 600hps is an impressive amount. Not so if he gets within melee range however..
qILrA.jpg

Frankly, I expected him to drop some sort of extraordinary loot:
5C0yr.jpg

yMvmP.jpg

But it's just a simple wand of Finger of Death. This spell could be terrifying, if not for the really powerful monsters resisting it a lot. As is, I feel that spell is a waste of time, and in this game I haven't used wands once. :M
Past the lich king, we find the memory crystal.
sq78b.jpg

MrWqp.jpg

After slogging through this huge dungeon, finding the crystal without the need to puzzle out some inane password or figure out a bridge puzzle is slightly anticlimactic, but then again, our party had to leave to refill the spellpoints several times during the dungeon, so I guess I'm just nitpicking..
The dungeon isn't completely done with however. Nearby the memory crystal is another plaque:
9bhfz.jpg

This time I caught the inscription. We are teleported to a seperate room containing three sarcophagi and a podium. Manipulating the sarcophagi nets us a choice:
YD1WM.jpg

You take a karma hit of 200 if you plunder, and the loot is nothing remarkable, so I let them be. The podium on the other hand:
ZeSuB.jpg

That's a quest we picked up way back when we visited Mires of the Damned the first time. It's the longest sitting quest in our log. :salute: I'll just show you the quest resolution, then we'll get on with the map.
KwRKH.jpg

V2dA4.jpg

1. Plaque for turning on 2
2. Blue/red cube for lowering wall
3. Plaque for turning on 4
4. Blue/red cube for lowering wall
5. Lich King
6. Memory Crystal
7. Plaque for turning on 8
8. Blue/red cube for lowering wall
9. Podium with the Book of Liches
10. 3 sarcophagi, karma hits
Huge dungeon. Shitloads of annoying enemies. I hate those eyes... Still, it was a fun dungeon, and killing the Lich King made me feel all WoWy.. :roll:
This dungeon was by far the hardest of the four memory crystal dungeons. I don't know if you can appreciate the scale of it, but the amount of monsters had me teleporting out to recharge mana several times, which is a good indicator that this wasn't a simple walk in the park. :salute:
Final memory crystal dungeon is Castle Kriegspire:
ROtex.jpg

This dungeon is the home of minotaurs, agar's pets and drakes. The pets are really squishy, so no threat at all. The drakes are like mini-dragons so can be annoying, but are rather easily dealt with. The minotaurs are tough melee opponents:
G5WFj.jpg

9HjJ4.jpg

dQRDK.jpg

Much beefier opponents than ogres or magyars, and they hit hard. They're still melee monsters however, so this dungeon is more straightforward than Darkmoor.
The dungeon holds two special entities:
gVeAK.jpg

Paying up heals the party, but causes a massive karma hit of 976.. Since using Lloyd's Beacon and townportal will let you heal the entire party for no more than 40gp (as long as there are no negative status effects in action), this is a waste of money.
MJh4P.jpg

Paying up here will teleport you directly to a switch that needs pushing before we can get to the end of the dungeon (and the memory crystal). You can easily find this switch by exploring the dungeon, so it's basically also just a money waster. :M
The switch is special in that it isn't demarked as a switch, but it's hard to miss due to the different colouration compared to the rest of the interior of this dungeon:
9cVX6.jpg

BCUKV.jpg

Once the switch is pressed, we can tackle the last half of the dungeon. In one part of the dungeon, I stumble across something I haven't seen in the hint-section for this dungeon on the online-guide:
02egK.jpg

Usually, cages are spelled with lower-case 'c'. So this one should be special. And if you search it, you find this message:
B2CKW.jpg

Seems like Roland kicked the bucket but named the traitor. :bro: Too bad we already knew the name of the traitor. He had signed the scroll that we had to turn in as our very first quest. :M
This dungeon holds a unique, just like Darkmoor. In this case, the unique is a beefy minotaur king:
FnGGu.jpg

2000 hitpoints might sound intimidating, but he's taken down quickly in melee. :salute: Nothing special found on this corpse either.
piLLq.jpg

OiOck.jpg

4 out of 4. :smug:
We also find an egg which seems the target of a quest hitherto undiscovered:
3S4nf.jpg

A quick foray to the village of Kriegspire amends this oversight.
3GD3b.jpg

ucY9m.jpg

Paltry reward, but it wraps up Castle Kriegspire. Here's the map:
oQasR.jpg

1. Chest with Jeweled Egg
2. Curator of Kriegspire
3. Guardian of Kriegspire
4. Switch to open 5
5. Unopenable door
6. Lurch
7. Memory Crystal
Minotaurs hit hard in melee. Had to leave the dungeon twice to recharge mana. I'd rate this dungeon the second-hardest of the 4 memory crystal dungeons. No puzzles here, but I'm rather :smug: about finding a message not mentioned on the spoiler page I use for the maps.
With all four crystals collected, it's time to return to the oracle and get some more intel. :salute:
lwmiJ.jpg

Entering the oracle is easy, now that Slicker Silvertongue is out of the way. Placing the four memory crystals is equally simple.
Gl6C5.jpg

ToAza.jpg

drZoi.jpg

e31zV.jpg

From the backgrounds behind the crystals you'd assume the crystals were somehow attuned to the four elements. This isn't explored however, so we're left guessing. The xp rewards are massive, preparing us for tough fights ahead. :smug:
Now, are we ready to face the devils? Let's hear what the oracle has to say..
MomzQ.jpg

LlGCm.jpg

nVCuI.jpg

Another fetch quest! Who would have thunk it? :troll:
Welp, off to Dragonsand we go. :M
foddy.jpg

Just like with the overland map called Hermit's Isle, where we found the Supreme Temple of Baa, much of Dragonsands can be ignored with flying. This is the Tomb of VARN seen from the outside. A rather large structure..
pNyuI.jpg

Ominous? Nah...
If you thought Castle Darkmoor was huge, then this place will make you reconsider.
2zse9.jpg

[Andhaira]Djinn exist![/Andhaira]
doV8Y.jpg

dO0MZ.jpg

Here are the three types of genie. This dungeon is proted by genies, Jaffa and flying robots..
Zlr96.jpg

Vz6lo.jpg

Lo5iO.jpg

Okay, maybe it's not Jaffa, not really, but I got a really strong Stargate vibe from this place. I mean, seriously?
JaffaSoldier.jpg

Anyway, these bitches hit hard, but are fortunately not too beefy in the hitpoints department. Excepting the Guardian variety. Those are trouble. There was plenty of teleporting to recharge mana. M:
This place has plenty of inscriptions to read
9yl9D.jpg

2y4AY.jpg

6fnfd.jpg

9CLiT.jpg

The Tomb of VARN is a spaceship that has carried the ancestors of our people from a different world to here. It has crash landed, we've lost the technology that carried us here but instead developed majick skillz! :retarded:
And now the Ancient Enemy has followed us here and we need the Ancient Weapons to defeat them! Lucky for us, the Enemy is weak after a crossing, and we stand a chance if we cripple their center of operations. :M
Aaanyway, let's continue exploring this dungeon, shall we?
In a chest we find this enigmatic scroll, which we nonetheless manage to decipher, though it is supposedly millenia old:
DXzF9.jpg

'krik'. If you don't recognise what this is about now, more clues will appear. :M
ZLU0M.jpg

On the way to the central chamber, we get this message. Seems the crystal skull I've been lugging around since the Halls of the Fire Lord has some use after all. Being a pack-rat isn't always a bad thing. :smug:
ZWVHy.jpg

kiMvj.jpg

These hints are essential for finding the control cube. They tell us we need keys and codes, and we need to speak the captains key last.
The dungeon also contains these:
KXYla.jpg

Supposedly they should clear your characters of radiation, but there is no healing done, nor does there seem to be any ill effects of radiation, nor any tracking of the radiation level. :roll:
dg30F.jpg

I love the decor. M:
TxCWp.jpg

This is the huge back room. You can just make out monsters in the distance. They're so far away that they're not visible on the mini-map, nor have we aggroed them yet. H U G E.
Meticulous exploration nets us the keys and codes we need:
cJjyQ.jpg

HK3C4.jpg

OaibL.jpg

euON3.jpg

MZSYm.jpg

KO1gm.jpg

With all these scrolls in hand, we return to the central chamber.
uviKc.jpg

The triangular pits hold basins that, when entered, prompt us to type a key. They key is tied to the scrolls we've found:
H3mEl.jpg

pHU41.jpg

Doctor: yoccm
H7zCa.jpg

3dMYB.jpg

Navigator: ulus
WaDkb.jpg

xMIXa.jpg

Comm officer: aruhu
KMrlc.jpg

DXiIT.jpg

Engineer: yttocs
qakBy.jpg

bHhGE.jpg

First mate: kcops
And finally:
oXX9y.jpg

uCF34.jpg

TK6Oz.jpg

Captain: krik
If you haven't figured it out yet, I pity you and urge you to click on this spoiler.
Anyway, all codes entered, we can now enter the interior of the interior of the Tomb of VARN.
CJfBh.jpg

It has a decidedly different interior, and as you'd expect, some different guardians as well.
y4eRm.jpg

2Flbv.jpg

The robots are tough, flying opponents that attack at range. There aren't that many, and this area of the Tomb is rather small, so the fact that they're flying really is a non-issue. They are quickly dealt with, and close by we find this:
zwhYq.jpg

ee1zw.jpg

Finally! Let's take a look at the map, now that we have all we need from this place:
HQsYc.jpg

1 and 2. Tapestries with information.
3. Sentinel of VARN with key for 7
4 and 5. Plaques with information
6. Chest with Captain's Code, key for 8 and a Crystal Skull
7. Back door
8. Flame door
9. Plaque with information
10. Chest with First Mate's Code, key for 14
11. Communication Officer's Code
12. Engineer's Code
13. Locked chest with Doctor's Code and key for 22.
14. Water Temple
15. Chest with Navigator's Code, Crystal Skull and key for 13
16. Engineer's cleansing pool
17. First mate's cleansing pool
18. Doctor's cleansing pool
19. Navigator's cleansing pool
20. Comm officer's cleansing pool
21. Well of VARN (Captain's cleansing pool)
22. Locked chest with Control Cube
The largest dungeon in the game. No puzzles, but a huge maze to explore, coupled with extremely large rooms populated by copious amounts of hostile monsters. The robots and Guardians of VARN cause energy damage, which cannot be resisted. I like the nod to a certain Sci-fi show that I also am a fan of. :bro: Heck, you could say there's nods to two different sci-fi shows, both of which I am a fan of. So no matter how idiosyncratic sci-fi elements are in a fantasy game, I can roll with it. :salute:
We're not done here for this update though. Now, we will return to the oracle with the control cube and see what the fuss is all about, with this "Control Center".
SIGWj.jpg

Gth0Q.jpg

W3JTq.jpg

Info-dump! So, we need to go to the crash site of the Devils' ship, shoop up their reactor with the Ancient Weapons, then activate a spell to contain the explosion or the whole planet will go boom. Only, this spell can only be taught by Archibald who is currently a glorified coat rack in Castle Ironfist..
The explanation behind our current technological state is that these Devils, or "Kreegans" hit the communications and shipping networks between worlds, so this current world has :decline: to what it is now, as the Oracle is seen as a religious figure instead of what it is. I find this explanation pretty derpy, but having played ME1 and 2, and currently also trying to complete ME3, I guess I'm rather inured to derpiness.. :M
Still, no beating about the bush.
FmAOg.jpg

AfedH.jpg

Ooo, a welcoming message! It's a sham however, as we'll soon discover. In a room nearby, we find a plaque which handily teaches us how to use Ancient Weapons
yFYPx.jpg

NCpRQ.jpg

We could safely ignore this skill, as we will only be facing one opponent where blaster weaponry is needed. I won't however, as I like the attack rate of blasters, and speaking of which:
xalPu.jpg

Emufm.jpg

Scattered around the control center are storage containers, some of which contain the weapons we're looking for. The basic blaster isn't too impressive, save for the fact that the damage caused is energy based and cannont be resisted.. :M
jkWJS.jpg

Blaster rifles can also be found, 4 in total (what a happy coincidence, considering the party size of 4..) and they're much better than the basic blaster. :incline:
We also encounter the scariest of the flying robot enemies.
K14ct.jpg

The Terminator unit can cause eradication on attack. This is a nastry trick that can kill any character outright. It doesn't hit too often, but when it does it can ruin any tactic you've laid. So save often, and be prepared to flee to resurrect/teleport away, depending on which character gets offed.
There's a bunch of other messages to be found in the control center.
CINRS.jpg

This message might be part of the explanation the technology level dipped after coming here. The most powerful tech is all locked away because of the rampant bots. I'd like to accept this explanation, instead of the "we're not listening to the oracle, as it's the Voice of God, and listening to it will Sear my Soul away.." excuse. :roll:
qWJuI.jpg

0eSic.jpg

eCGgh.jpg

The other messages are just flavour. :salute:
Remember what we were told by the oracle, about only 1 control cube being present on the planet?
96hLw.jpg

This storage container is found at the end of the control center, together with the scroll Sir Dicksmoker is currently reading. It gives a pointless reward, awarding all party members "Super-Goobers". :roll:
Seems the oracle isn't completely aware of what's inside the control center. Either that, or we're supposed to believe the control center isn't on Enroth. Another storage container holds this:
8T04i.jpg

Four more memory crystals and a control cube. I think the developers are just messing with us here. :bro:
This is the map of the control center:
kr6zz.jpg

1. Computer Terminal holding the information teaching Ancient Weapons skill
2. Chest with Super-Goober proclamation scroll
This area is deadly by virtue of the Terminator units. I messed around a bit with blaster weaponry, came to the conclusion that melee still rules, even if the blasters are the best ranged weapons available. Also, when you wield a blaster, you wield it in your melee weapon slot, bypassing any bow you might be carrying, meaning you won't be able to do any melee fighting anymore. The up-side of blaster weaponry is that they fire off about 3 attacks for the time it takes to hit once with a dagger, so they're fast.
Lastly, we train Ancient Weapons skill, just for the heck of it.
7nFQs.jpg

ChK6c.jpg

I've already posted the quick ref of our party after doing the control center. I have to admit that I didn't clear it. Didn't bother. At this point, though I enjoy playing the game, I want to finish it as clearing the control center for instance, feels more than a chore than anything else.
Next update should be the final one in this LP! :salute:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Why the "cheeky bastard" comment?

Anyway Castle Darkmoor! :yeah: Lacks some raging though.

Regarding Wormtongue being stuck in lava, if you exist/reenter a dungeon it resets the location of all enemies, but it doesn't respawn dead ones, so doing this allows you to be able to kill all of them in problematic dungeons like that temple of Baa.

Erebus

Arcane
VARN was the setting for M&M 1 or 2, if I'm not mistaken. Of course, it could have been a different VARN.

It's a bit hard to take the threat of the Kreegans seriously, considering they don't try anything during the whole game (and also the fact that Inferno factions in HoMM games tend to suck).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
VARN was the setting for M&M 1 or 2, if I'm not mistaken. Of course, it could have been a different VARN.
VARN is only the setting for MM1, MM2 took place on CRON. And MM2 mentions several VARNs used to see worlds with the Ancients' experiments. The idea being that the ones in MM1 and MM6 are not the same, and that the one in MM6 is the one that seeded the entire planet where MM6-8 take place. And then Morglin Ironfist crosses through one of the Gates to Another World from the VARN in MM1 to Enroth and so on.

It's a bit hard to take the threat of the Kreegans seriously, considering they don't try anything during the whole game.
The Kreegan tend to first establish a kind of base with the more evil-aligned factions on the continent (Temple of Baa in MM6, Nighon in HOMM3 and MM7) and use them to further their plans, rather than directly taking over the world. From the way things develop it looks like their ship in Eeofol was there first, and the one in Enroth only got there more recently, so they're still at a much earlier phase when you foil them in MM6.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Regarding Wormtongue being stuck in lava, if you exist/reenter a dungeon it resets the location of all enemies, but it doesn't respawn dead ones, so doing this allows you to be able to kill all of them in problematic dungeons like that temple of Baa.

I know. I just didn't really bother. The most effecient way would be to cast a portal spell where he's supposed to be, then teleport out and in again, and he should spawn literally just where the party is, making his annihilation easy.
I chose to suspend my disbelief, and consider him as good as dead. As long as the party never reenters the dungeon, he's doomed to spend his days in the pit of lava. :smug:

Achilles

Arcane
Why the "cheeky bastard" comment?

For using the spoiler tag, as at first I glanced over his post and didn't read it because I assumed he didn't do the update yet. It was meant in an endearing way, if it came out wrong please remember that english is not my native language :)

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So, this is it. This is the end of the LP. So far, there really hasn't been any proper feedback on the spoiler tags, but I like them in the LPs I follow, so I'll keep them.

All four heroes are armed with a Blaster Rifle each, have trained their blaster skills, and now we just need to free Archibald Ironfist. If you didn't read the fluff/play Heroes of Might and Magic II, Archibald rebelled against his brother and led an army of undead against him. He was eventually defeated and turned to stone by Roland's court magician, Tanir.
Freeing Archibald from his stony prison isn't easily done however.

qcwpC.jpg

Here the game rewards those who RTFM. The manual actually states exactly where you can find the Third Eye. I've made a video for you guys:

Page 15 in the manual, in the last letter from Roland, he finishes with a p.s. "if I should fail to return, tell Nicolai that the Third Eye is in the Well - - he'll understand when the time is right. It is his birthright and he will need it if he is ever to be King."
If you didn't catch everything in the above video, here are some selected screenshots:

IPbaL.jpg

2PoVf.jpg

The Eye is plucked from the well.

KqwHO.jpg

2NRWt.jpg

Tanir's magic bell.

flfoQ.jpg

bqU2z.jpg

And the Ritual of the Void scroll. :salute: Surely, freeing Archibald was the right thing. He seems a trustworthy fellow, does he not? M:

Well then, off to Sweet Water to confront the Devils in their home turf.

TFrAd.jpg

The Hive holds some odd architecture. A few large, cavernous rooms connected with tentacle-like tunnels in odd colours.

uNHYE.jpg

VXnen.jpg

5g6NA.jpg

GhYof.jpg

It is of course also inhabited by Devils. The ordinary wingless ones we've seen before, and a more dangerous winged type.

gwXkD.jpg

RRCan.jpg

Ao7IO.jpg

They don't have more hitpoints than their wingless counterparts, but their attacks do more damage, they have higher tier spells, and their Devil Kings can drain all spellpoints with their attacks. For what it's worth, the third tier wingless devils can also drain mana. Just haven't had it happen as often as the Kings seem to manage.
They are best taken care of quickly. In the end of this LP, you'll see how that can be done. :smug:

The Hive also has a special feature. Every few minutes, you'll get a message telling you that the "Flush system has been activated". This means your characters will soon be taking damage, unless they find a light blue floor tile to stand on.

IvNeQ.jpg

Fortunately, there's a switch in one of the tunnels that turns this system off. It isn't terribly menacing, as the damage done is rather low, but it's still an annoyance.

LQrvt.jpg

Also to be found in a tunnel is a magic keg with limitless healing contents:

lUSPD.jpg

3mSue.jpg

This is important if you're careless, as teleporting through the walls of the Hive is impossible:

So that ruins the tactic abused by me up to this point. :troll:
Nevertheless, due to the awesomeness of Blaster Rifles, we soon reach the target.

CqDve.jpg

3uoV2.jpg

Once you've shot up the reactor (which is impervious to normal damage, you have to use energy based damage, ie blasters) the walls retract and you're faced with a crowd of devils and their queen:

RWsZ8.jpg

Defeating them isn't too hard though. For the canon ending, watch this video:

Done! Here's the map of The Hive:

hEe1m.jpg

1. Chest with key for 3
2. Healing keg
3. Locked door
4. Closed door, dropping down the shaft at 5 will open it
5. Shaft, doesn't open unless you walk through the tunnel from 7 or flip the switch at 6
6. Switch, turns off the Flush system
7 and 8. Switches for opening 10
9. Teleport to exit
10. Closed door
11. Switch to open 12
12. Closed door
13. Switch with unknown use?
14. Reactor
15. Demon Queen
16. Exit here to win the game. :salute:

Supposedly, this is the hardest dungeon in the game, as you cannot retreat and heal up easily. The inhabitants respawn within 7 days, and you cannot use Lloyd's Beacon for easy acces. The infinite healing keg and the awesome power of blaster weaponry however trivialised the dungeon for me. :M
Enjoy the "you've won" certificate:

Ldc8e.jpg

:smug:

However.. There's also a non-canon ending to the game. What would happen, say, if we hadn't freed Archibald, or if we happened to lose the Ritual scroll on the way to the reactor?
Let's reload and find out:

:troll:

And that's the end of my MMVI LP! I hope you enjoyed it, even though it was devoid of larp. :salute:
Tomorrow I plan on opening the enrollment thread for my MMVII LP. :bro:

Erebus

Arcane
I managed to blow up the world the first time I destroyed the reactor. I don't really remember why (I'm fairly sure I had the scroll).

Poor Archibald doesn't realize he won't get a chance to rule this kingdom, since the world's going to blow up in a few years no matter what we do.

Thanks for the LP ! I think you managed to strike a good balance as far as the number of screenshots is concerned : they could easily have been more numerous, but it would bogged down the LP ; and they were not so few that we couldn't get a good feel of what each dungeon was like.

I'm eager to see the beginning of your M&M 7 LP !

Canus

Savant
Excellent work on the LP my friend, I look forward to your MM7 LP.
And volunteer to take part if you need Codexers for the party.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
As long as the party never reenters the dungeon, he's doomed to spend his days in the pit of lava. :smug:
:lol:

Awesome job on the LP. You're not the only one to find the final dungeon easy, if you've done everything else and have blaster rifles (trained to Mastery of course) it is pretty trivial. I do remember the very first time I went to Sweetwater, from Kriegspire, as a low level party, with the extremely atmospheric music, and getting my ass kicked. Great times.

It was meant in an endearing way, if it came out wrong please remember that english is not my native language :)
Nah don't worry about it, I just thought there might a troll joke that I missed or something. I had a brief second of hesitation when I opened the spoiler tag too, this being the Codex you never know what you're gonna get. In this case it was good stuff though!

Poor Archibald doesn't realize he won't get a chance to rule this kingdom, since the world's going to blow up in a few years no matter what we do.
Well technically he does get to rule, and he doesn't even make it until the world blows up... though that whole thing does make me wonder why we even bother with the Ritual in MM6. Just blow it all up and the world gets the same fate as it would get in the HOMM4 intro anyway... minus the survivors, but then this is Might and Magic, the Ancients could always repopulate with another VARN once their war with the Creators/Kreegan is over.

This LP has made me start playing M&M VII again.
:salute:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Thanks for the LP ! I think you managed to strike a good balance as far as the number of screenshots is concerned : they could easily have been more numerous, but it would bogged down the LP ; and they were not so few that we couldn't get a good feel of what each dungeon was like.

I'm eager to see the beginning of your M&M 7 LP !

You're very welcome, and should you wish to enroll for one of the MMVII parties, feel free to do so. I will be showing both the light and dark paths due to popular demand (at least two people wanted the dark path, and I am myself partial to the light M: ). I will be linking to the enrollment thread in here as soon as I get it started. :bro:

Excellent work on the LP my friend, I look forward to your MM7 LP.
And volunteer to take part if you need Codexers for the party.

Thank you. :salute: Your volounteering is duly noted. Should you want any influence on what character you might end up championing in the MMVII LP, you should repost your request in the enrollment thread when it goes live. :bro:

This LP has made me start playing M&M VII again. :salute:

Then my work was worthwhile. :salute:

As long as the party never reenters the dungeon, he's doomed to spend his days in the pit of lava. :smug:
:lol:

Awesome job on the LP. You're not the only one to find the final dungeon easy, if you've done everything else and have blaster rifles (trained to Mastery of course) it is pretty trivial. I do remember the very first time I went to Sweetwater, from Kriegspire, as a low level party, with the extremely atmospheric music, and getting my ass kicked. Great times.

Yep, going to Sweet Water prematurely is a hard lesson, as is Dragonsand. :smug: Glad you enjoyed my LP. :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom