Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's say I want to play Morrowind...

piydek

Cipher
I reinstalled Morrowind after reading this thread, put all those mods from Jimbob's list and a few other (galsiah's char development and Creatures X) and items that are in my inventory that are magical items (enchanted rings and shit like that) and clothes have borked names - their stats display fine and everything else regarding their display in inventory is fine, but the names are someting like "ođšmhčposu". Items such as normal weapons, herbs, alchemy items, gems - that stuff is all fine. Does anyone have a clue what's causing this behaviour?

Mackerel

Augur
Did you install the robe replacer linked on that Morrowind 2009 blog?

piydek

Cipher
Mackerel said:
Did you install the robe replacer linked on that Morrowind 2009 blog?

I believe i did - which replacer is that specifically? I always get confused with so many mods.

Mackerel

Augur
The esp should look something llike IceBradyHurdyRobeReplacer. Try disabling that mod and see if it fixes things, if it does then use this version of the robe replacer instead, be sure not to use the Plus esp found in the archive unless you are going to use a leveled list merger.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/97rp4r

piydek

Cipher
Mackerel said:
The esp should look something llike IceBradyHurdyRobeReplacer. Try disabling that mod and see if it fixes things, if it does then use this version of the robe replacer instead, be sure not to use the Plus esp found in the archive unless you are going to use a leveled list merger.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/97rp4r

That was it, thanks very much mate, i owe you a beer for this one :D .

denizsi

Arcane
Don't forget about Blood & Gore. It's a must have if you'd like to get any enjoyment out of combat.

Galsiah's Character Development is great, but I've come to find that it's way too personalized for galsiah's own tastes (and how else would it be anyway, right?), somewhat feeling less "TES", if that makes any sense to you.

Also, it didn't fix one of the biggest problems with combat: ridiculously high To Hit requirements. Enhanced Combat or whatever it was called, mentioned in previous pages, "fixes" this to some degree but it's too arcady for me.

piydek

Cipher
Blood & gore is good, yes. MW is really a tolerable game if one knows how to play it to get a specific kind of enjoyment out of it. If it had at least semi-good quests and some meaningful choices and consequences plus a bit better written "dialogues" (speeches), it would have been great.

But this way, i enjoy it for its great atmosphere and nice art. It is simply stunning how low oblivion has fallen compared to Morrowind in these two regards.

A user named cat

Did that list even mention ENB Series? If you really want a graphic whore overhaul, try it along with a couple other mods. The HDR and bloom brightness can be adjusted, unfortunately most videos showcasing the mod have it cranked up but still looks pretty amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexBQBYKgkU

By the way, the mod also works in countless other games and simply requires a few .ini tweaks. Check it out in Deus Ex, though it fucks up the HUD.

Before:
deusex13.jpg

After:
deusex14.jpg

San Andreas, doesn't even look like the same game either:
gtasa58.jpg

Here's the rest of screenshots from other games: http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/gallery_en.htm

A user named cat

I think it depends on which game you're using it on and what effects you want enabled. With a modern PC, it shouldn't be bad if you want better lighting/shadows, some motion blur and other next-gen effects in older games. You'll have to test out which version of the mod you can use. For example, you can use the NBA Live or Deus Ex mod on say Morrowind I believe, just requires some .ini tweaking.

http://boris-vorontsov.narod.ru/download_en.htm

You know, many people think most newer games look like shit due to these effects but it isn't the technology at fault. It's that developers overdo it. With slight HDR, bloom and such, games can look a ton better. This mod can even be used on some 2D games.

Mackerel

Augur
Yeah, I use a combination of MGE and ENBseries, but it requires a lot of tweaking, and not just in the enbseries.ini. The sky color values in the Morrowind ini can be tweaked in order for the bloom to not cause a nuclear holocaust skyline, which it is prone to do even with subtle bloom values. But with a subtle bloom/HDR effect and the enbseries color correction, Morrowind can look quite nice, and I only lose a couple of frames when it's going.

As far as GCD is concerned, I find it a must, although I have customized it to suit my own taste as per the instructions in the readme. I've never liked TES leveling system where every character becomes the same given enough time. GCD really allows you to build unique characters, and it's especially nice for mage characters as you get a substantial mana pool and magicka regeneration.

Theres this one too

http://btb2.free.fr/morrowind.html

The page says that if you install them in that order, there won't be problems. Good if you don't want to spend ages tweaking.

About armor, http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7235&id=3376

:cool: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7019

if you find Galsiah's to be too tailored to his own tastes...I also prefer it to galsiah's since it uses spells instead of scripts, so it conflicts less and you don't need to use the console. It also doesn't screw up non-pure Warrior/Thief/Mage characters, and Mage/Thief have some health too...http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php ?view=Mods.Detail&id=5316

This makes birthsigns useful and also douubles the number available, but it's still lore based (in fact, some are taken from Oblivion)...http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=5580

if you like companions / personal armies...http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7235&id=815

ALSO

1248568853_fullres.jpg

:lol: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7711

A user named cat

Mackerel said:
Yeah, I use a combination of MGE and ENBseries, but it requires a lot of tweaking, and not just in the enbseries.ini. The sky color values in the Morrowind ini can be tweaked in order for the bloom to not cause a nuclear holocaust skyline, which it is prone to do even with subtle bloom values.
Yeah, it can be quite the hassle to get it just right. Then again, modding the hell out of Beth games really isn't worth it. The best mods for the game are the audio ones, since they add a lot of atmosphere and sound great in a surround system.

It'd be nice if some pirate just hacked Morrowind or Oblivion to have all those mods pre-installed. There's just too many of them out there to download, install, sort through, tweak and get right. Usually by the time you're done adding them all, you've lost interest in playing the actual game.

piydek

Cipher
Here goes a retarded question:

I've installed a house/shack mod for morrowind, so i have a place to put stuff into. There's also a nice mod that lets you put your alchemy stuff down somewhere and then use it without picking it up and using it from inventory. Instead you just access it via "use" button.

Now for the problem - is there any intelligent way of placing objects onto other objects (such as tables) in Morrowind or am i missing something? Also, is there any way to move stuff like stools around. Am i missing something or dose one really have to jump on table, merely "drop" the item and hope it lands on right place?

If you stand near the table, drag the item out of your inventory and hover over the table, the cursor should change from the drop icon to the normal pointer. When it does that, click on the place you want to place the item.

piydek

Cipher
Thanks very much Jimbob. For some reason I haven't noticed the ability of cursor to change in that circumstance.

Fuck, i'm really beginning to enjoy this game now that i've added all these nice mods. But apart from mods - landscapes, architecture are so well designed in morrowind and art is so very good, i'm simply stunned by how completely generic oblivion is in that regard. Did some major staff changes that i'm not aware of occur in bethesda in between these two games?

Choose your answer

Intelligence) Morrowind = Dark Elf culture, so things look more alien. Cyrodil (Oblivion) is Imperial, which means white guys, so things look familiar and banal. Shivering Isles is more interesting, and I remember someone calling it Morrowind Redux, p accurate.

Wisdom) Lol Bethesda

Eldritch

Scholar
Cyrodiil wasn't supposed to be an idyllic land of a generic Medieval European kingdom nor culture, 4chan boy. It was written as a cosmopolitan imperial land with vast jungles covering its landscape, an actually interesting place where countless empires tried to hold dominion over. It didn't even have a native "Imperial" human race in the first place. It was supposed to be the Multikult land, a melting pot for civilizations.

The "Old Lore" wasn't the only thing they fucked up, just one of them among all the others.

piydek

Cipher
Clockwork Knight said:
Morrowind = Dark Elf culture, so things look more alien. Cyrodil (Oblivion) is Imperial, which means white guys, so things look familiar and banal. Shivering Isles is more interesting, and I remember someone calling it Morrowind Redux, p accurate.

I don't think it's as simple as "alien<->generic", "black<->white". It's about design on a much larger scale. For example - look at terrain and cities, hamlets, road paths, valleys and so on in morrowind and oblivion. Also, the stock textures, variety of regions etc. The fact that they decided to make oblivionas a fairytale land explains some of the bad design and art, but not even nearly all of it.

Eldritch

Scholar
Other than the overall atmosphere and the "concept", Oblibian was fucked up beyond measure in terms of "content" too, so, yeah...

Nothing, absolutely nothing surprises you or impresses you in Disneyland Cyrodiil. The sterile world gives you absolutely zero motivation to explore, which is the heart and soul of any non-linear sandbox crpg with a large world, not just TES.

Vvardenfell at least fucking owns in terms of interesting content. I still remember the time I've stumbled upon Divayth Fyr's corprusarium and the little surprise waiting for me in there.

Tamriel Rebuilt 1: "Telvannis" is p. fucking amazing btw, DL eet...

It didn't even have a native "Imperial" human race in the first place. It was supposed to be the Multikult land, a melting pot for civilizations.

Sure, but with Imperial dominance and rules. If you choose Cyrodil as your homeland in Arena (Daggerfall too? Dunno now), you start as an Imperial, for example.

Eldritch

Scholar
Clockwork Knight said:
If you choose Cyrodil as your homeland in Arena (Daggerfall too? Dunno now), you start as an Imperial, for example.

Dude, Cockwork Knight, are you fucking with me here or are you really this dumb? No offense but I just don't get it. No "Imperial race" is available for either games, clicking on Cyrodiil will avail nothing both in Arena and Daggerfall.

Have you actually played these games longer than 15 minutes checking them out after making an "Old TES gaymz SuXXorz" thread on 4chans gaming boards? Do you have a really bad memory? Have ya read the old TES lore concerning Cyrodiil? What is the meaning of life, universe and everything? Why is the Star of David shaped like a ninja throwing star?

After seeing your performance in the Fallout 3 LP thread, I'm not sure what the fuck you're on about really.

If you stop with the 4chan thing for a minute, you'll realize I had a massive brainfart and mixed everything. In Arena, there's "Imperial Province", and I don't remember what's like in DF. Guess reading about Morrowind and installing Morrowind (where you can select Imperials, and it's what I was doing shortly before posting) fucked everything up.

And the fo3 thing was like 2 weeks ago, ffs. I'm a newfag, people aren't supposed to recognize my name :x

Do you have a really bad memory?

Yes.

Eldritch

Scholar
Relax CK, you seem pretty jewed up. We're all jews here jewing about rpgs and just having a pretty jew time. You're among jews, don't you forget that.

The important lesson here is that the Star of David is shaped like a ninja throwing star so that the rabbis can pull it off their neck and throw it at gentiles on their front porch trying to sell them magazine subscriptions. lol so random.

If you stop with the 4chan thing for a minute,

I'm a newfag

goddamn.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom