Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a very obscure turn based strategy game on Atari

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played it on Atari ST around 1995+
It was rather similar to WisiSoft World Conquest, but with more colors, and more units.
world_conquest_0_3_beta_[no_publisher]_6.png

world_conquest_0_3_beta_[no_publisher]_7.png

Here are screenshots from World Conquest for reference.
It was almost certainly a Shareware or a freeware.
As World Conquest, you had cities to conquer, and units (a bit futuristic?) that would move each turn, but I think you could choose among several maps (or at least, you could mod your own map), and add units.
It had more units than World COnquest and a futuristic theme.

The game was nothing special iirc, but I spent a lot of time on it, being starved of good game on Atari, and I spent an unhealthy time trying to mod everything into 40K units with my awesome Space Marines programmer art, so I would like to return to it, and see how it played.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Hah, it has been a complete failure, but I found a lot of free/shareware strategy games I had forgotten about, so thanks for killing my productivity today!

Midiwiz
I remember playing it, but I am not sure it also had SP.
midiwiz.png

WAR 2.0

war_2_0_serious_software_5.gif

I think this one featured KV1 that were impervious to anything the German could field.

Star Troopers, by the same studio:
star_trooper_serious_software_7.gif

Alterra (aka poor man's Warlords)

3866.png

Ergon
ergon_serious_software_3.gif

Actually, it was a shame that there were almost no commercial games made for the ST in the end (the last strategy game I bought was probably Civilization 1).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
OCD at its finest: I'm now downloading every issue of STMag to see whether it was bundled with one of these...

Btw, there was also this weird "not totally a RTS" on ST that I recall:
deadland_st_format_3.png

MEga Lo Mania was quite cool when it came to non RTS

It did nuclear war quite well, with defensive weapons only being nukes sent back to the attacker in retaliation.

2775728-mega_024.png

Mortmal

Arcane
Oh i remember megalomania it was usefull to cope with the dark and boring highschool days. Therapeutic value of video games Always been grossly underestimated.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I found it, but it was quite disappointing:
It was 2 player hotseat only, and the UI was abysmal.
It also was WEGO (which can be good, but usually better with more discreet areas of movement IMO):

It was called Stratagem and came out in 1991:

upload_2020-1-22_1-58-12.png

upload_2020-1-22_1-54-19.png

upload_2020-1-22_1-54-34.png

The units were quite varied, though! But given how bad ithe UI is, I doubt I ever finished any game against a friend.

I guess I'll rather load Speedball 2 instead. This one at least has not been redone properly at all.

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_1-54-7.png
    upload_2020-1-22_1-54-7.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
I found it, but it was quite disappointing:
It was 2 player hotseat only, and the UI was abysmal.
It also was WEGO (which can be good, but usually better with more discreet areas of movement IMO):

It was called Stratagem and came out in 1991:

View attachment 12260

View attachment 12258
View attachment 12259
The units were quite varied, though! But given how bad ithe UI is, I doubt I ever finished any game against a friend.

I guess I'll rather load Speedball 2 instead. This one at least has not been redone properly at all.
hmm for coop maybe you should play paradox games instead...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom