Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass Effect drama - teh graphikz r dumbed down!

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Vault Dweller, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    I hopes someone get fire over these travesty.

^ Top  
  2. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    So the 'mistake' is showing what the game actually looks like, and he assures us they will never make this mistake again. Interesting.

Even more interesting is that the people talking about dumbing down...have been dumbed down.

^ Top  
  3. suibhne Erudite

suibhne
    ^^ +1

One reason consoles lead to overemphasis on graphical wonderment is that the console arms race is predicated almost entirely on such comparisons across platforms. I sometimes harbor a deep, secret hope that the success of stuff like fl0w will lead to less glaring bullshit regard graphics, but I can't really summon the optimism to believe that in any sustained fashion. Fuck 'em all, and the next-gen horsies they rode in on.

^ Top  
  4. Sovy Kurosei Erudite

Sovy Kurosei
    What was wrong with the "bad" screenshots. I didn't really notice much of a difference in quality.

^ Top  
  5. sportforredneck Liturgist

sportforredneck
    They bitch excessively about the new video as well, yet I thought the faces looked much more realistic than the pointy ass faces of the past.

^ Top  
  6. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    I begin to ask myself if they actually can be dumbed down anymore, seeing the current status of dumbness. But, I've seen Idiocracy, and thus know that everything is possible.

^ Top  
  7. sabishii Arbiter

sabishii
    That's because "It have made them" is usually in the phrase "Would it have made them."

^ Top  
  8. Edward_R_Murrow Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Edward_R_Murrow
    The saddest thing is that everyone is willing to cause a massive shitstorm over things like graphics but when a company announces a large cut of content, people react far more mildly.

And by people....I mean the general gaming public.

^ Top  
  9. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    In all cases. Jimbob makes some reference to pagan languages but here in civilized parts we do things right.

I would also like to give everyone who disagreed with me in the thread about whether question marks go inside the quotation marks or not a big kiss my ass with a side of neener neener.

^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Old Norse is an amazing language, though.
    And Latin, too.

^ Top  
  11. MountainWest Scholar

MountainWest
    The problem was, and still is, that you corrected him on an already correct sentence.

^ Top  
  12. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    kc is technically right, but that's a stupid rule that I never follow.

^ Top  
  13. MountainWest Scholar

MountainWest
    He's technically right when it comes to American English. Not when it comes to British English, thus KC was wrong when he corrected whoever wrote the punctutation outside the exclamation point.

^ Top  
  14. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    When it comes to grammar there is no such thing as just being technically right. In any case my correction was intended as part of the running joke but there's always someone wanting to masturbate onto the Internets.

^ Top  
  15. aries202 Erudite

aries202
    Personaly I'd take a little graphics any day ;) over the glitz and glossy graphics that Oblivion has. I much prefer the dev. team spent time on making interestering quests & storylines etc. than trying to polish teh GRAPHICS OMG!!! (you know what I mean, ;) I think ;) ) to an extent where it hurts your eyes.

Also, VD, this is really really old news, but sadly relevant, since many people apparently did complain about the graphics & how the game looked. And frankly, when I looked at screenshot # 1, which was the first graphics released, & screenshot # 2, I actually couldn't see that much of difference between them, but that could maybe just be because my glasses need to get cleaned ;) :D

Anyway, it made me feel kind of sad :( that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline. But so is the world, I guess...

As for the question mark and the exclamation point, could this codex get even nerdier ;) :D

^ Top  
  16. Texas Red Whiner

Texas Red
    OK, everybody who discusses grammar will be fuckwit noobed.

^ Top  
  17. Castanova Prophet

Castanova
    Well, the three "crappy" screenshots really did look worse than what they had been showing previously. But, to anyone who's actually created a digital image before, it was clear that it was just a compression issue. I, for one, want those Mass Effect graphics to look as good as possible since it's unlikely the gameplay itself is going to make up for any slack.

^ Top  
  18. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    You might see this when you type it, Aries:

But when I try to read it, I glance over it and only see:
    Hence, I am unable to read it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MountainWest Scholar

MountainWest
    No, your excessive use of smileys makes it impossible.

"Sad :( " - Why both?

^ Top  
  20. sportforredneck Liturgist

sportforredneck
    Probably due to the fact that "Save the galaxy from evil robots" is a mind numbing choice as a plot.

^ Top  
  21. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    It's even worse, because the robots are an ancient evil. And only Shepard knows about them OMGZ!!!

^ Top  
  22. sportforredneck Liturgist

sportforredneck
    Not only that, but it's a myth that has long been told, and no one believes him that it's true.

^ Top  
  23. Inziladun Cipher

Inziladun
    Oh great, all the ex-TES fanboys (and I say ex, because Oblivion is old news) are now onto the next big thing and using a term that was jammed down their fucking throats for the how many days Oblivion held their attention. I suppose "dumbed down" is going to become the universal term to express displeasure in something now.

Here's a thread discussing the graphix! http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=82720

Looks like Mass Effect will be the best thing since sliced bread, guys!

^ Top  
  24. sportforredneck Liturgist

sportforredneck
    Let me guess, not dumbed down, but extremely dumbed down.

I prefer this post:

"Maybe it's just me but, looking at this screenshot I got a feeling my responses to this VI guy would've been exactly the same....seriously."

They don't seem to understand that in games, most things you can say leads to the same responses, even if you're an asshole, you'll just be bitched at first, and then they go on to tell you what you want.

^ Top  
  25. Jim Kata Arbiter

Jim Kata
    no

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)