Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most CD's in one game box?

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
So I'm curious, does anyone know what game has the most CD's in one game box? Baldur's Gate 1 has 5, Baldur's Gate 2 has 4. My brother used to have a wing commander game that also had a ton of CD's. I'm looking at the Dungeon Siege II deluxe edition and it has 6 CD's, any game out there that have more?

ultimanecat

Arcane
Yeah, you're best bet would be FMV heavy adventure games. I'm pretty sure my copy of The Longest Journey is 6 CDs. The Beast Within I think has a ton too.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Yeah, you're best bet would be FMV heavy adventure games. I'm pretty sure my copy of The Longest Journey is 6 CDs. The Beast Within I think has a ton too.

The original Longest Journey have that many? Mine got only one CD, but i'm sure it's a repacking.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Black Dahlia has 8 CDs, all for the game afaik. Your Longest Journey is prolly a DVD re-release.

It is indeed a DVD re-release. While I did enjoy the game and it's one of my favorites, I never did any background search on it so didn't know what the original box looked like.

8 CD's is taking the lead, I have a feeling that's going to be hard to beat.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Black Dahlia has 8 cds. I think some FMVs games might beat it, but DVDs were introduced around this time, not to mention video codecs that aren't total ass.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I heard that F.E.A.R. had CD version, around 7 or so. Playing it take less time than installation.
On top of my head - X-Files the game? 9?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I checked this a while ago.

Everquest 2 had 10 CD's and is the record-holder.
Black Dahlia follows that with 8 CD's.
Phantasmagoria and the X-Files tied in for third with 7 CD's.

As for floppies: A game called Kakyuusei for the PC-98 shipped on 17 1.44MB floppy disks, followed by Ultima 8: Pagan+Speech Pack, shipping on 11 1.44MB floppies.
As the Amiga used 880Kb formatted floppies, Amiga users needed considerably more of them. Except for the Discworld mentioned above (which I'll put as "unverified" until further notice) the winner was Beneath a Steel Sky with 15 floppies, followed by Secret of Monkey Island 2 with 11 floppies.

EDIT: Corrected an incorrect value.

Last edited:

ultimanecat

Arcane
Just for fun, I checked my CD collection. TLJ actually only has 4 discs. FEAR has 5 (as does the original Far Cry). The Beast Within has 6. Now I feel sad that there are games out there with even more useless discs that I could be keeping around for no reason. Seriously, none of this shit will even install at this point.

pippin

Sanitarium had 4 cds for me, and that seemed to be a lot, but then we had "Byzantine: The Betrayal" (Interplay had something to do with this game according to Amazon) which had 6 cds.
That's what I remember right now.

Severian Silk

The original Minesweeper had several floppies worth of crap that came along with it. Recent versions switched to DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I checked this a while ago.

Everquest 2 had 10 CD's and is the record-holder.
Black Dahlia follows that with 8 CD's.
Phantasmagoria and the X-Files tied in for third with 7 CD's.

As for floppies: A game called Kakyuusei for the PC-98 shipped on 17 1.44MB floppy disks, followed by Ultima 8: Pagan+Speech Pack, shipping on 11 1.44MB floppies.
As the Amiga used 800Kb formatted floppies, Amiga users needed considerably more of them. Except for the Discworld mentioned above (which I'll put as "unverified" until further notice) the winner was Beneath a Steel Sky with 15 floppies, followed by Secret of Monkey Island 2 with 11 floppies.

Didn't Winows 95 come on like 30 floppies as well?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Probably Everquest 2. A lot of games in that period between CDs/DVDs had shitloads of CDs though. I'm actually curious about the disks pre-CD. I know Dragon's Lair on the Amiga had six or seven as my dad would have to take them out and put them back in to load each scene. It may have been unique in that aspect, though.

28.8bps Modem

Prophet
I remember picking up a World of Warcraft trial pack that came on 8 CDs back when it first came out. The damnedest thing was that you couldn't just subscribe after your trial ran out, you had to actually buy the full game, and in those days you couldn't even buy it online. The full game came on one DVD.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Just for fun, I checked my CD collection. TLJ actually only has 4 discs. FEAR has 5 (as does the original Far Cry). The Beast Within has 6. Now I feel sad that there are games out there with even more useless discs that I could be keeping around for no reason. Seriously, none of this shit will even install at this point.
Black Dahlia, Beast within, phantasmagoria and TLJ all have hacks to have no cd changes (actually the beast within and black dahlia even have a deinterlace movie patch).

Sierra games in general are easy to make run off the hd since they had a virtual filesystem and a soft patching system inbuilt.

For everything else there is:
http://fileforums.com/archive/index.php/t-74084.html

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Didn't Winows 95 come on like 30 floppies as well?

Yes, you could get Windows operating systems on floppies instead of CDs...up until Windows XP, I think. I recall the number "43" being thrown around for the most number of floppies.

But that's an operating system and not a game, so it doesn't quite answer the OP's question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom