Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mouse Cursors

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
And what if we change the direction?

Pointer:

Target:

Loading:

RGE

Liturgist
Elhoim said:
Looks quite lopsided to me - slide the 'handle' a bit more to the left on the tip. I also think that it looks too blocky, and I'd prefer a sleeker design closer to the regular Windows mouse pointer. And I imagine that the contrast between that pointer and a lot of environments will be rather low, but perhaps that's a bonus? :?

I kind of liked the red pointer though. Red looks good with sandy browns. A promise of violent conflict solutions to come. :)

User was nabbed fit

I like the last set, Elhoim.

But -- I don't know about other people-- I like my pointers to be 'slim'. That one looks like it's a little on the wide side. I don't mean as slim as the ones on Windows (unless that ends up looking good), but maybe something in-between those and the last one you made for the pointer?

somnium

Scholar
Elhoim said:
And what if we change the direction?

Pointer:

Target:

Loading:

They certainly look nicer then the red ones but shouldn't your primary concern be the visibility of the cursor? It seem to me that these would be quite difficult to see in the menu and in muddy, rocky places or other places with a lot of brown.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
But -- I don't know about other people-- I like my pointers to be 'slim'. That one looks like it's a little on the wide side. I don't mean as slim as the ones on Windows (unless that ends up looking good), but maybe something in-between those and the last one you made for the pointer?

somnium said:
They certainly look nicer then the red ones but shouldn't your primary concern be the visibility of the cursor? It seem to me that these would be quite difficult to see in the menu and in muddy, rocky places or other places with a lot of brown.

Agreed with both points. I have an idea...

How about something along these lines?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
While it looks decent enough, it lacks the awesomeness we expect from you after seeing the interface and the armor sets. I know it's unfair, but you set very high standards.

galsiah

Erudite
Elhoim said:
How about something along these lines?
Too windowsy. Something about halfway between your blocky one and that would do. Or perhaps something as pointy, but with a more ornate/intricate/individual style. So long as it's not oversized, is generally clearly visible, and doesn't scream WINDOWS!! at me, I'm not too bothered.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
I suggest sundial with moving shadow for loading, gladius-shaped cursor [without any surounding line] - VD's example suits well here, and maybe crossbow for targeting [but please not fallout's target]. Or gladius for targeting while some other roman-looking neutral cursor for everything else. [remember arcanum's - something like this]

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Elhoim said:
mousepointerv25ep9.png
I like the visual style, but it does look very Windows-y. Could you somehow take this style and apply it to the following design?

P8114043.jpg

I don't mean an exact copy, just the general design elements, mainly the curvature of the blade, you know what I mean? Like a compromise between the cursor you posted and this image.

Couldn't Bethesda claim copyright infringement if you used this? It's very distinctive and they own all Fallout assets now, don't they?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Claw said:
Elhoim said:
I like the visual style, but it does look very Windows-y. Could you somehow take this style and apply it to the following design?

P8114043.jpg

I don't mean an exact copy, just the general design elements, mainly the curvature of the blade, you know what I mean? Like a compromise between the cursor you posted and this image.
Vote for the spearhead. Can you do something with it, Elhoim?

Target:

targetv7es5.png

Couldn't Bethesda claim copyright infringement if you used this? It's very distinctive and they own all Fallout assets now, don't they?
They probably could, although I doubt they would bitch because of one cursor. If they do, we'll replace it with something else. Unless Elhoim cooks something better.

callehe

Liturgist
brown or tan is probably not a good idea, since the most of the world have that colour as well as the interface. Black, white or red would be better imo.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Still lacks precision. If you don't know what it's supposed to be, it's almost impossible to tell what it is. Compare it to this:

SHRTSWORD.gif

Clear and well defined.

Noceur

Liturgist
I think it'd be easier to judge the cursors if you put em in context. A small piece of the gui beneath the cursor for example (or a screenshot, or whatever).
The latest cursor seems to be angled too steeply, but I can't help thinking that this feeling is influenced by having my windows cursor so close to it... and in the context of the RPGCodex website, where I'm used to having a windows cursor.

EDIT: This was aimed at Elhoim's latest cursor...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom