Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New to blobbers, what to play?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
TemplarGR

Why do blobbers suck TemplarGR? I mean, your sig says you're a combatfag.

Being a combatfag means you care primarily for gameplay/combat in games, and not for the story/writting. And combat-focused games aren't always GOOD.

Blobbers are a thing of the past. They were developed at a time when hardware just wasn't adequate enough for proper first person real time movement in crpgs. Now that we have 32 core cpus and 64gigs of main ram and 20 teraflops of gpu power, why do we need to keep these shitty conventions?

Give us proper 3D movement dammit!

PS: I did enjoy Vaporum somewhat lately...
There's a special game created just for the likes of you.

It's called Skyrim.

Well, Skyrim has combat, so clearly that explains why he is a combatfag

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes Back, you can even continue with the same party from DM -> CSB. DM is very similar to Grimrock so you should feel at home, there are couple engine re-creations around, but you can also play them with emulators.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yeah Xulima is a fun game. I never finished it but it was entertaining. Also from a kickstarter that space one called starcrawlers. It was... meh. Graphically beautiful, great music, but simple blobber mechanics with not much depth, and the real killer were the procedural dungeons...

procedural dungeons in a turn-based grid-based crawler? le SIGH. after about the 10th similar layout I just uninstalled it, but hey some really liked it, i remember seeing a few codexers here praising it a lot in the game's thread.

Also I just remembered the amazing PAPER SORCERER, i can't believe no one has mentioned that beautiful gem of a game:

ss_3816bc841008a7d14b00622ddca0865dc77b7729.1920x1080.jpg
papersor2b.jpg
paper_sorcerer.jpg

it's a bit short and sweet but boy oh boy is it a memorable experience. it's a pure love letter to these genre, and the visuals and soundtrack are fantastic. It isn't meaty enough to be a real contender, though, but it is definitely VERY memorable. Don't expect a deep or complex blobber in Paper Sorcerer, but do expect a fun and pleasing time with great visuals and music in the skin of a blobber.

sakekosan

Novice
I am playing Ravenloft: Curse of Strahd right now its a good blobber and I enjoy it a lot, but if you want to experience the cream of the crop there are two games above all. Dungeon Master was the first and still after 30 years remain the best imo and Wizardry 8 the swan song of the genre.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
It might be more prudent to start with Wiz 6, and then transfer your party through the subsequent games.
SMT: Strange Journey is decent enough for a beginner and there is next to no weeb garbage.
Since you're already playing Wizardry 7, you shouldn't have too much trouble with Dark Heart of Uukrul, highly recommended.

But we all know there is only one answer
Grimwah
Wait for the manual

Edit: Damn it Dorateen, you ninja dwarf.
I don't think he wants to wait another 10 years for the manual though.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Wiz 8 is not the "swan song" of anything. A better Wizardry was released just the following year!

Deleted Member 16721

I can personally recommend Lords of Xulima a lot, excellent CRPG where you have to use your brain and manage resources (food) a bit. Play on Hardcore Ironman and try your best to pay attention to the game. Very rewarding and satisfying.

Of course Elminage Original/Gothic are classics, very good blobbers. The little I played of Grimrock 2 seemed interesting. You could also try emulation and play something like Etrian Odyssey, which is a nice blobber too for the DS. Oh, and Vaporum is a great one if you're interested in faster-paced action combat yet still retaining the RPG elements. Atmospheric and challenging, and of course fun to play.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I've played a bit of the Etrian games and i think the games peaked with the 3rd one. They removed too much stuff in 4 and 5 in order to sell more units (easier, casual). I mean, not that EO games are complicated to begin with: they're very simple actually, just saying that one needs to only play the 3rd one to get the full EO experience.

the best thing about the series is the ability to use the stylus to draw the maps, and i'll never understand why one of these so-called "blobber devs" that pop up now and again haven't copied this and made it use the Mouse on PC to draw the maps. I mean, the EO series is as mainstream as it gets, you'd think they'd rip it off.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Etrian Odyssey are extremely casual and insanely grindy, like most japanese shit. I used to play them on my DS when i was in the army, away from home, years ago. I also played The Dark Spire (recommended if you liked Etrian Odyssey) and Orcs & Elves. Nice mobile shit to play on the go, but i wouldn't play them now that i have access to incline like Deadfire and Skyrim.

Deleted Member 16721

Forgot about The Dark Spire. Quite an excellent 'crawler, really.

Ensi

Educated
It will make a man out of OP.

I'm not sure I wanna be a man...I did grow up playing Gold Box games (and never got far in them cuz I was young and stupid). Fallout 1/2, PS:T etc are some of my favorite games.

Being a combatfag means you care primarily for gameplay/combat in games, and not for the story/writting. And combat-focused games aren't always GOOD.

Blobbers are a thing of the past. They were developed at a time when hardware just wasn't adequate enough for proper first person real time movement in crpgs. Now that we have 32 core cpus and 64gigs of main ram and 20 teraflops of gpu power, why do we need to keep these shitty conventions?

Give us proper 3D movement dammit!

PS: I did enjoy Vaporum somewhat lately...

Well, I enjoy grid based/turn based combat because I enjoy the tactics of how the battles play out, char development in these games, and they're amenable to playing on my laptop in bed and not being too rushed by combat or anything like that.

Thanks again erebody, I've got a list now!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom