Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian or inXile

?

• Obsidian

Votes: 74 44.8%
  • Inxile

Votes: 35 21.2%
  • bioware desu~~~~

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Both

Votes: 28 17.0%

• Total voters
I definately had more fun with Wasteland 2 than i did with the short time i sampled PoE. And i'm excited about Torment and BT4, so Inxile got my vote. I like the cut of their jib.

A user named cat

Bard's Tale IV will be better than Pillars and even Torment +M

Dragon Age Origins sez hi. Wait a few weeks untill the honeymoon period with PoE ends, happened to Shadowrun, D:OS and Wasteland 2 as well. Hell, there's already complaints about the ridicolous trash loot, item&character progression, encounter design&combat and even writing.
Nothing really changes, it's just the same vocal minority that felt too insignificant to spew their shit when the topic was still fresh and relevant. Only once the discussion and reviews have halted, and the people who liked the game have moved on satisfied, and those with genuine critique have said their peace, do the emotionally stunted autists crawl out of the woodwork to continue their vendettas against whatever game. In the end the fact that most codexers still give these games majority positive ratings matters a lot more than the dozen wall of text diatribes written by people who spend more time scanning their thesaurus for new ways to say "Bad game" than they do actually playing RPGs.

tl;dr: The codex likes RPGs, it's just hard to tell because for every 100 rants by an armchair developer, there are another 100 people who played the game, enjoyed it, and simply don't have the time or care to gush about it on repeat.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In the end the fact that most codexers still give these games majority positive ratings matters a lot more than the dozen wall of text diatribes written by people who spend more time scanning their thesaurus for new ways to say "Bad game" than they do actually playing RPGs.
So, if alot of people say they liked a game, if you are criticizing it and didn't enjoyed IGN 11/10 like most fanboys, there is cleary something wrong with you? Jesus, sometimes I think I entered on the RPG Watch or the BSN by accident when I read this forum. :lol: Man, why I have the suspicion if Dragon Age Inquisition were released by Obsidian, it would be RPGCodex GOTY.:lol:

So, if alot of people say they liked a game, if you are criticizing it and didn't enjoyed IGN 11/10 like most fanboys, there is cleary something wrong with you? Jesus, sometimes I think I entered on the RPG Watch or the BSN by accident when I read this forum. :lol: Man, why I have the suspicion if Dragon Age Inquisition were released by Obsidian, it would be RPGCodex GOTY.:lol:
I don't get how you came to that conclusion when this was right above it.
those with genuine critique have said their peace.
I was referring to the inevitable
thousand pages worth of discussing how shitty the game and everything in it is.
The point isn't really about the posters, it's more about how nothing actually changed, there isn't some massive universal epiphany taking place because 1-2% of very angry posters whinge on so long after the fact with very few people actually bothering to argue with them, the opinions are still the same.
The way you guys see it is that the honeymoon phase will end, and everyone will come around to your point of view that it was terrible. In reality it's the same people who were whining the whole time, you just couldn't hear them over the actual reception. Now that the party's over and everyone's gone home, it's just them sat around talking about how awful it all was. Loud echos in an empty room.

lurker3000

Arcane
My enjoyment level:
1) W2
2) PoE
3) D:OS

I have finished W2 and D:OS but I am only 2/3 of the way through PoE. D:OS would be above both of them if it i didn't have such a stupid setting/environment. I know its what they do but man is it annoying.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
I liked WL2 the most, and I'm enjoying PoE a lot right now. D:OS for the last place of the 3 big cRPG's lately. I would say both, because I respect Obsidian as a game developer, but also InXile and their coming Torment game.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Dragon Age Origins sez hi. Wait a few weeks untill the honeymoon period with PoE ends, happened to Shadowrun, D:OS and Wasteland 2 as well. Hell, there's already complaints about the ridicolous trash loot, item&character progression, encounter design&combat and even writing.
Nothing really changes, it's just the same vocal minority that felt too insignificant to spew their shit when the topic was still fresh and relevant. Only once the discussion and reviews have halted, and the people who liked the game have moved on satisfied, and those with genuine critique have said their peace, do the emotionally stunted autists crawl out of the woodwork to continue their vendettas against whatever game. In the end the fact that most codexers still give these games majority positive ratings matters a lot more than the dozen wall of text diatribes written by people who spend more time scanning their thesaurus for new ways to say "Bad game" than they do actually playing RPGs.

tl;dr: The codex likes RPGs, it's just hard to tell because for every 100 rants by an armchair developer, there are another 100 people who played the game, enjoyed it, and simply don't have the time or care to gush about it on repeat.

To be fair, and just so you don't flatter yourself, video games are for children and autismos in the first place. Someone that nitpicks a video game isn't any more childish or autistic than someone that overly enjoys it. PoE especially has childish high fantasy nerd writing written by tumblrrettes, suffragettes and somethingawful goons. The combat mechanics are particularly autistic and chore-like.

I think it's hilarious how your type will bash a game like Skyrim for being too casual and then mock someone for bashing a game that you happen to like as being "autistic" and "uncool," adjectives that would better describe your own self.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
The way you guys see it is that the honeymoon phase will end, and everyone will come around to your point of view that it was terrible.
No, that's how you want to think we see things.
When the hype dies down, people will start accessing the situation more objectively. Every one was high on D:OS when they were in Cyseal, but the game's second half was very banal in comparison to the starting area. Now people who haven't even finished PoE and are in the first or second chapter are already giving their opinions. That's not how it works. When you've completed the game and had time to reflect on it, then you can start deciding how well it stacks against other games and analyzing both the positive and negative aspects of it. That doesn't mean people will start thinking that it's terrible, the world isn't binary you nimwit, even if many codex members have a hard on for calling everything modern&below great "shit" just to gain edgy points.
Though I am revoking the :obviously: card of every single person who voted for Dragon Age over Knights of the Chalice in 2009.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
To be fair, and just so you don't flatter yourself, video games are for children and autismos in the first place. Someone that nitpicks a video game isn't any more childish or autistic than someone that overly enjoys it. PoE especially has childish high fantasy nerd writing written by tumblrrettes, suffragettes and somethingawful goons. The combat mechanics are particularly autistic and chore-like.

I think it's hilarious how your type will bash a game like Skyrim for being too casual and then mock someone for bashing a game that you happen to like as being "autistic" and "uncool," adjectives that would better describe your own self.

Nah, PoE is much more well written than your shitty description. It appeals to adults and not children. You should really focus on reading more of the game's lore and complaining less, but I guess you've already made up your mind and it's too late for you. It isn't too late for others.

Besides, combat works like a charm for many of us. Maybe you should play Skyrim where you won't feel the same chore-like feeling with combat. From the 30 minutes I played it, it's basically hitting the attack button frenetically and then the dragon is kill.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
It boggles my mind how anyone could have fun with something like Wasteland 2.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Heh. I don't even like TB games in general and I still think WL2 was absolutely great. Why? C&C, mate. In WL2 it isn't as cruel as in Banner Saga (which is also good - one game fucking up my roster for every "bad" decision I made is enough) but it is there. And it was a real breath of fresh air especially after D:OS with its fake "open" world.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
The setting alone makes it worthwhile. I'm sick of fantasy RPG games that look the same for the most part, the only fantasy game I hold in high regard is Planescape Torment (because it's not your another fantasy setting but something really bizarre with great plot) and Vampire games. DOS isn't bad either because it actually shows a different approach than BG.

One of the reasons I love Age of Decadence so much is because it's unlike any other game that I know and it brings freshness to the RPG genre. PoE was a clear cash grab for BG fans waiting on a worthy successor. Larian studios deserve a big applause for the risk they took by creating a turn based fantasy game where developers didn't have to copy any game but had (almost) a blank slate and they went from there. PoE on the other hand was aimed for BG fans from the start and you're being reminded of that at every turn. For someone who's not a BG fan that is a huge flaw and that's why for me Wasteland 2 > DOS > PoE

Athelas

Arcane
The setting alone makes it worthwhile. I'm sick of fantasy RPG games that look the same for the most part, the only fantasy game I hold in high regard is Planescape Torment (because it's not your another fantasy setting but something really bizarre with great plot) and Vampire games. DOS isn't bad either because it actually shows a different approach than BG.

One of the reasons I love Age of Decadence so much is because it's unlike any other game that I know and it brings freshness to the RPG genre. PoE was a clear cash grab for BG fans waiting on a worthy successor. Larian studios deserve a big applause for the risk they took by creating a turn based fantasy game where developers didn't have to copy any game but had (almost) a blank slate and they went from there. PoE on the other hand was aimed for BG fans from the start and you're being reminded of that at every turn. For someone who's not a BG fan that is a huge flaw and that's why for me Wasteland 2 > DOS > PoE
It might be a good idea to judge RPG's on more than where they take place.

Ermm

Erudite
Shitpost, nothing to be gained from this discussion.

There is, who is more dreamy. MCA or Fargo, what did you think this thread is about?

bfargo1.jpg

Chris_Avellone.jpg

Actually, Fargo used to be a pretty handsome man.
Brian-Fargo_BIOboxart_160w.jpg

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
It might be a good idea to judge RPG's on more than where they take place.
Sure, but for me the setting is one of the most important aspects of a game. If I see a game with a setting that I've already seen a dozen of times I'm negative at the very start. Plus in general I don't like fantasy. The only fantasy RPG games that I like are are unique in one way or another (to the games I've mentioned above you can add Arcanum which I forgot to mention).

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Obsidian in Exile
(i bet this joke was made at least three times already, but i don't come into some random shit thread to read it, right)

video games are for children and autismos
nerd
"uncool,"
Just looks like projection to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Every one was high on D:OS when they were in Cyseal.
And the reviews reflect that, so what were you telling mexi to wait for? "Wait a while bub, soon, everyone will still like the game and give it the positive reviews that confound you, BUT, there will be even more nitpicking in threads."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom