Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Odd quirks you have while playing RPGs

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Do you have any strange habits or quirks that you exhibit when playing RPGs?

For example, with RPGs such as Pathfinder or Icewind Dale, those which simulate or at least resemble Dungeons and Dragons, while playing them, I take very frequent breaks. I mean we're talking like once every ten minutes, sometimes more frequently. I'm not really sure why I do this, because I want to keep playing, but I almost think it's my brain emulating PnP sessions where everyone wants to get up and take a piss or get some more Mountain Dew after a combat session or something? Like I said, this is for odd quirks.

List your individual strange play habits or oddities and why it is you think you do/have them.

Deleted Member 16721

I take a lot of breaks, too, and it's weird why. I feel like sometimes the game is *too* good, that I need to absorb what I've played of it and savor it a bit, so I take breaks often. No other real quirks except I drink a lot of fluids while gaming, always need a drink of some kind, preferably caffeinated. And I smoke a lot too, with lots of smoke breaks. But that's about it.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Whenever I have to choose one of multiple options -- dialogue that cuts off other dialogue, delivering quest items to one party or another, killing one person or another, etc. -- I save before making the choice. Then I make my choice and save again. This first choice is the one I stick with.

Then I proceed to load the first save and run through all the other options before returning to my base game. I hardly ever remember what those options do for subsequent playthroughs, and if I really wanted to have foreknowledge I could just look up wikis on the internet. So I guess I do this just to fuck around with alternate universe scenarios for my character.

Cael

Arcane
Zero party deaths unless those deaths are premeditated. I don't care if I have raise dead type spells.

Zero use of consumables other than basic ammo.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like to replay tough combat encounters until I beat them with minimal resource expenditure (which naturally coincides with 'Too Good To Use' syndrome), and if a fight proves to be too expensive, or is outright too difficult to overcome, I restart entirely with a new build / approach. Even though I rarely ever play on Ironman, any game with an enjoyable difficulty and fun combat is inevitably going to have me die-and-restart at least once. I can put hundreds of hours into a game and only ever complete them fully once.

I've spoken to people baffled by why I do it, but it really is fun for me. That's peak video-game enjoyment right there. Unfortunately, difficult encounters these days often amount to over-inflated HP pools and ridiculous enemy buffs to everything except AI and approach (aka, the Bethesda logic of GIVE THE NPCS MORE NUMBERSSS!!).

Drowed

Arcane
If the game offers multiple ways to complete a certain quest, I will always first save the game, and then complete that quest as aggressively and violently as possible (killing all enemies and/or NPCs), only to reload the save and complete the quest again according to what is most efficient, or even what matches my character the most (in case I've thought of a pesonality for him/it). Also if it's possible, in every new area I enter, I'll kill all the NPCs just to then load the save and play "normally" in the end. In Fallout, for example, I always completely annihilate all the living things in every city/camp/village that I enter as a way to inaugurate a new area.

The fact that in most modern games, NPCs are in most cases immortal deeply frustrates me because I can no longer enjoy doing that. It's sad.

Cael

Arcane
I like to replay tough combat encounters until I beat them with minimal resource expenditure (which naturally coincides with 'Too Good To Use' syndrome), and if a fight proves to be too expensive, or is outright too difficult to overcome, I restart entirely with a new build / approach. Even though I rarely ever play on Ironman, any game with an enjoyable difficulty and fun combat is inevitably going to have me die-and-restart at least once. I can put hundreds of hours into a game and only ever complete them fully once.

I've spoken to people baffled by why I do it, but it really is fun for me. That's peak video-game enjoyment right there. Unfortunately, difficult encounters these days often amount to over-inflated HP pools and ridiculous enemy buffs to everything except AI and approach (aka, the Bethesda logic of GIVE THE NPCS MORE NUMBERSSS!!).
Should take a look at Bugmaker sometime. AC in the 70s for a DnD 3.5 based game. More numbers indeed.

deuxhero

Arcane
If the inventory isn't limited, I collect one of everything. If it is I ditch everything I don't need even if the limit is so high I would only reach it with my normal behavior.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't know how odd it is but...

I always try to make a party that includes all races and classes. Sometimes it's just not physically possible, other times it's a very bad idea like the the Forgotten Realms Gold Box game with the low level caps for demi-humans.

I try to never meta game, but instead do what my party or character would do. Most CRPGs are too easy anyway, so meta gaming and "breaking the game" don't interest me much.

I try to use as little in game time as possible in most games.

I turn off music for most games. In FPP games it's just distracting. In other games it usually gets annoying after a while.

I actually use consumables.

I don't rest spam, or save scum for better stat gains, loot, bad combat rolls or botched resurrections. But I will save scum if I realize I made a wrong decision, typically in combat, that I wouldn't have done if I stayed more focused.

I like time limits.

I don't lose sleep if I don't explore everything in a game, or don't complete every quest.

I either quit a game after a short time, or I complete it. I don't leave games half finished anymore.

laclongquan

Arcane
Do you have any strange habits or quirks that you exhibit when playing RPGs?

For example, with RPGs such as Pathfinder or Icewind Dale, those which simulate or at least resemble Dungeons and Dragons, while playing them, I take very frequent breaks. I mean we're talking like once every ten minutes, sometimes more frequently. I'm not really sure why I do this, because I want to keep playing, but I almost think it's my brain emulating PnP sessions where everyone wants to get up and take a piss or get some more Mountain Dew after a combat session or something? Like I said, this is for odd quirks.

List your individual strange play habits or oddities and why it is you think you do/have them.

It's being old. or maybe it's IWD specific~

I dont know about PoE but Icewind Dale, especially 2, lately make me play it in short sessions, 10-15-30 minutes. I have to quit the game, do something else (liek reading), then after 5-15 minutes later restart the game. Even with music/sound off. It's about enough time for an intense battle, or two smaller ones.

Follow your instinct, dawg~ It possible your body got some physical changes that force you doing that. Dont ignore it.

Also, in all the games that is possible to edit your avatars, I almost always add in some custom sexy (or near nekkid) females, costumes approriate for the settings (fur bikini is a special challenge). This activity could cost me 20 hours of searching and editting images myself. e.g: IWD2, I got about 100 chars. Made-by-other collections just dont do me any good.

Last edited:

user

Savant
I play until I am near the end of the game and then reroll. I don't finish them. If I do, I will somehow lose some interest. I only finish a good rpg many years later.
I have to select every option in every dialog at every npc on every playthrough, so that it becomes greyed out, even if I know what they say and even if I know it doesn't have any impact on quests/game.
If falling asleep in front of the pc counts as a break, yeah I take breaks regularly.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I talk to myself like a lunatic despite having zero care to ever go into the world of let's plays or streaming. Sometimes I answer my own questions.

This leads to very colorful reactions. I hysterically laugh, I shout, I sound like I'm going through a breakdown, I cheer and if something is giving me a lot of trouble I will jump out of my chair and start running around in celebration when I overcome it, sometimes yelling "GOAAAAL" for no reason. It's never a dull moment in my apartment. My neighbors hate me.

Sykar

Arcane
Restarting a dozen times
Massive OCD which makes me pick up everything not nailed to the background
Self imposed restrictions like not using those hundreds of consumables "because they might be more useful later" especially those potions of light healing

Puukko

Arcane
Think of mini reviews as I play, in the vein of "how would I sell this game to someone."

Rarely play if I can't dedicate 2h+ for it, then proceed to take breaks for half the time I should be playing. If I've got to go in 45 mins, I won't even consider playing something and just watch YT instead.

Hyperion

Arcane
I refuse to run past / away from enemies. Everything must die, including me if it must be. Only exception is a game with enemies visible on the world map that would lead to an encounter, like a SaGa entry. I feel like a failure if I end a battle in a "kill the leader!" TRPG stage without completely wiping out his cohorts first.

Specific to the Souls games, since I never run away, when I know / have a good feeling a boss is coming up, I refuse to face it without a full stock of Estus. This often means running back to Bonfires and making sure I can clear an entire path without needing to waste my precious Sunny D against trash.

Rarely play if I can't dedicate 2h+ for it, then proceed to take breaks for half the time I should be playing. If I've got to go in 45 mins, I won't even consider playing something and just watch YT instead.
Also, very much this.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Once the aesthetics wash off I realize that I've played it before and quit the game and look at it in my Steam library for about two months then uninstall.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I close doors behind me, even if i'm going to leave the room a few seconds later.
When I go into cold/snowy areas I turn the fan in my room on to a higher setting.
If the game gives you a player home I collect 1 of every weapon/armor type and then hide it away in a chest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom