Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Official codex Star Trek Online topic :salute:

So what are the classes?

Tactical (mostly pure combat focused), Engineering (good at manipulating shields both ship and ground side, can throw up turrets and droids, has explosives, modifications), and Science (buffs and debuffs, I think healing and research).

Multi-headed Cow

Just had a cool public quest against borg. Big space battle with other players, got my ass saved and saved an ass. It's neat seeing a guy's ship with no shields and 50% hull and about to die and then zooming over and saving him.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Alright bros, I just did the tutorial. Cool stuff, and I loves me some Star Trek.

Here's Valkar, our tactical Vulcan and captain of USS Majestic:

PyiIe.jpg

Also, the chat channel I've set up over at Champions works here too, so just post your info or send a friend request to Vaarna_Aarne and I'll add you to the channel.

Multi-headed Cow

Just had a time travel anomaly. Was trying to rescue a damaged ship in a nebula or whatever. Weird anomaly nearby. Then suddenly HUGE KLINGON FLEET JUMPS IN, MY SHIELDS IMMEDIATELY FALL, I GET BLASTED TO PIECES. Me and my crew wake up on our ship just where we arrived, only now the anomaly is bigger and none of the people on the ship to be rescued remember what just happened, but the people on my ship do. Had a grand time traveling space adventure. :bounce:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
is that the user made one? that was quite well done (unlike most other user made missions).

Multi-headed Cow

Yep, sure was. There was some event running so I supposedly got better rewards for doing a user made mission, so I gave it a whirl. Had a good time with it, though I'll probably stick with official episodes for now. At least while I'm leveling since you get so god damn much XP from them.

Edit: Though I have heard there are some official time travel adventures, so that'll be a hoot.

anus_pounder

Arcane
What level should I run User made missions ? Theres a list, but theres not really any information about recommended level. :p

EDIT : Also, Is it true the Klingon Side is severely lacking in PvE content ?

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
The missions scale to your level Anus. Klingons were only good for PvP the last time I played, could have changed though.

anus_pounder

Arcane
The missions scale to your level Anus. Klingons were only good for PvP the last time I played, could have changed though.

:( Well, that sucks. I really wanted to see the game from the other side, even if it was just a novelty and skin swap at best. I hate PvP.

EDIT : How do I invite people to chat ? Not in-game yet, but it wouldn't hurt to ask, in case you aren't online later. :oops:

EDIT 2 : So STO does in fact, Scale to your level ? :codexisfor:

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, you go to Chat Settings and Channel, and when you go to ImmateriumChat window you can use the bar at the bottom of the window to add people. Just type in their @handle and it should send the invite if they're found.

I'll set your rights to do that when I'm online next, which is either later today or tomorrow. Doesn't matter if it's Champions or STO, you can work through both. In fact, the channel and friend online status show up for both games and communication is possible thanks to the channel.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finished downloading it a while ago and ran into a problem with the Cryptic Autoupdater. It's apparently common enough that a lot of people have been asking about it in the forums as far back as September but (surprise) there's been no response from whoever's in charge. So users came up with a solution for it.

The problem is an autoupdater error "the patchclient got a message while it was in a state of no response function", which in turn will get you nowhere. Repeatedly. If this happens to you, head on to http://www.ausmonauts.com/fix/ and replace your STO.exe with the one there. Worked for me, at least.

Source: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=231845&page=5

What else you got? This doesn't work for me. Google just keeps bringing up other forum posts all linking to this solution. My old Star Trek Online.exe (which the downloader downloaded for me) is 8.04MB and the "fix" one is 7.97MB so I know it's not the same file. How can I fix this? Did you do anything other than override the file?

Well, you go to Chat Settings and Channel, and when you go to ImmateriumChat window you can use the bar at the bottom of the window to add people. Just type in their @handle and it should send the invite if they're found.

Yup, and mine is listed in the post right after VA's character picture. Pop it in and hook me up when everything is sorted out.

Multi-headed Cow

EDIT 2 : So STO does in fact, Scale to your level ? :codexisfor:
Just the user made missions. You can increase the difficulty of the regular missions in a vaguely DDO sort of way for phatter lewt and more danger.
And the PVP is sorta neat. With firing arcs and shield chunks it's kinda cool. Reminds me a bit of Starfleet Command, which is probably why I like the game.

anus_pounder

Arcane
I'd like to remind people that the immaterium is a CO Superhero Group. It doesn't count as a STO Fleet, so we still need to create a KKK fleet. Of course, if this is going to be an on-off temporary game, no need to bother.

Vaarna_Aarne

I guess I'll handle setting up the fleet, since I do have an account with some privileges thanks to my CO lifetime sub.

Multi-headed Cow

WELP. Got a new ship. Buzzed around a bit, fought some borg. Feels super similar to my previous ship. I'm relatively confident that'll be what kills the game for me. Still, had at least a few days of pretty good times.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'd figure it'll be pretty fun doing team content while LARP fagging. It's pretty much the icing on Cryptic MMO cakes, since they're really good at the whole LARP-faggotry adventuring with bros angle.

Also guys, if you wanna check if any of your bros are online, you'll have to use the Champions Online website. STO's website doesn't have a friend online status window. Also, your account logs in there as well, because it's a Cryptic account.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Doing some community created missions. Lots of fun, but I think cryptic's own story missions give more EXP and better rewards on the whole. :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
but I think cryptic's own story missions give more EXP and better rewards on the whole. :)
yes, and episodes additionally give some scaled and unique rewards, like the breen stuff that changes ship looks.

anus_pounder

Arcane
but I think cryptic's own story missions give more EXP and better rewards on the whole. :)
yes, and episodes additionally give some scaled and unique rewards, like the breen stuff that changes ship looks.

Cool. Also, do you remember if the episodes have any time travel in them or if thats a subject that only the community creations focus on ? I really like the idea of time-travel missions. :D

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I just played a story mission that involved time travel to the TOS time. So yeah, time travel is confirmed :p

Drakron

Arcane
OK, I am going to bite ... so what do I do?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom