Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ok, I'll just go ahead and make an Elminage thread now about translating them all! (Into English)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

I just encountered the very first bona-fide all-new original content! There is an optional Devil boss that will trigger a fight w/ you if you visit Igdra Village and enter the Church while having in your Inventory either the Furious Cudgel or the Confusion Mace (both weapons are cursed and in all game versions are available for purchase upon game start); she straight-up takes your weapon(s) in a dialog and disappears (obviously she said some stuff, but it was in jap)--

in any case, while clearing out dezarpolia tunnel i assume her father just party-wiped me. I went and read on the japanese forum from the JP Wikia of these games and turns out Starfish made it so that beating this Devil boss unlocks the Devilish race in Town.

(In the PC and PSP version of hte game you can unlock Devilish race until mid-game and you do it by finding a very easy to miss fountain that you have to drink from; in earlier games Devilish were always available from the game start but Starfish decided to make them an optional bonus for players in E: Gothic because they wanted to proudly make a challenging, old-school 'crawler: because the Devilish class is fucking OP as fuck-all, so goes without saying they absolutely made the right choice for the PSP/PC versions of E: Gothic-- it is NICE that they moved the chancet o unlock Devilish race much earlier for this 3ds version but it only ends up contributing to the overriding common denominator at play: the game becomes extremely easy).

I legit wish I had played this game just a couple hundred hours less than I already have :(

I I don't think I'll get sick of Elminage ever, but, dear god, Starfish you better not fucking fold. I bought on gog Gothic! I helped! It was less than 8 dollars but by god I did it. Starfish fucking fuck don't fucking go out of business aaargh if i don't get a new elminage in my life i will be very sad.

I enjoy Starfish's specific brand of Wizardry gameplay in their 'crawlers so much that my main interest in attempting to translate a video game is specifically just in case Starfish's future 'crawlers don't get localized. No joke.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae

BTW, if you, uh, "gift me" a copy of the japanese PC version of elminage: Original I am more than happy to do the same romhack-copy/paste job i'm doing on the 3DS version of elminage: Gothic.

I'd also LOVE to see how the japanese dialog text was formatted for the japanese PC version of E: ORiginal. I want to spend an entire day, hell probably 2 or 3 days straight just sitting down in front of my PC squinting at side-by-side windows of e: original PSP and e: original PC version open in my hex editor and trying to see if i can spot stuff like what was changed and where and see if i can actually end up figuring out why.

(like, in elminage 2 PSP version an NPC character's name is nigh-impossible to translate via brute-force hex editing because it's fucking steeped to the bunghole in hexadecimal operator characters which royally fuck shit when you replace them with other shit, like say, an english word-- and they did not do this, as an example, in elminage: gothic for pc there is absolutely none of that assholery present and i imagine it has to do with difference of working w/ hand-held versus a proper machine.)

I'd love to see what they changed for the pc port of E: Original in terms of how they re-arranged the original japanese text from the jap version of the PSP version of the game. I've learned a LOT by studying side-to-side the english ver. of E: Original with the jap ver. of E: Original, just endlessly poring over shit that will never be useful in life.

I've also been spending time going over the entire E: Gothic japanese NPC dialog and attempting to translate it MYSELF first, and THEN double-checking what the english translation was that made it into the game.

I'm not knocking the translation, on the contrary, it was prolly 1 single guy working for peanuts and he did a fucking awesome job but he 100% decided to work himself a little bit... less, because the e: Gothic japanese dialog text is much more flowery than what was localized into english.

(Example: in the final moments of e: Gothic the "woman", you know who, asks you tentatively something and then upon hearing your answer breaks down into sobs and gives you an item. In the japanese text she comes off as more fragile because her first dialog is a stutter, trying to ask who she is and where she is in broken words; after your answer she literally falls to the floor in and cries, quite literally as the use of the word/act of crying is specifically written in the jap text-- in the english localization it was written as a very matter-of-fact description, i.e. "She listens to your answer and before beginning to sob you are handed an item"-- super-duper different in spirit from the jap text but, of course, 100% accurate so it's still very good. Just goes to show how much something can change just from changing crying to sobbing i guess.)

(just wanted to point out that comparing existing translations is very helpful).

EDIT x3: something the localization "team" (still believe it was 1 dude) did on E: Gothic is that they took the original jap NPC dialog script and "rewrote" it using 90% only Kanjis with very, very little hiragana. I went and compared the "rewritten" kanji dialog from the localized translation script of E: Gothic w/ the original japanese text from a jap version of E: Gothic and, no, they didn't change anything that matters, but they definitely streamlined it. And i don't say that as a bad thing: it's exactly what i would need to do w/ the elminage 2 script. That shit is bananas and needs to be completely "rewritten" and streamlined in order to further an, in the end, much more accurate english translation.

I really am quite impressed w/ the translation on E: Gothic and E: Original (more so w/ the E: Gothic translation).

sure just tell me where/how to dump that.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
TOOK the "help_text" file from the PC ver. of E: Gothic and just fucking rammed it down the 3DS .ROM's throat, heh. It has been surprisingly benign romhacking a compressed .3DS game but, i'm excited for tools to start appearing for extracting... that thing i did the copy/pasting the english-language "help_text" file from one version to the 3ds version it's downright retarded the way I did it by editing the entire .ROM. It's like using a broom to hammer a nail, heh. But whatevs.

monster names, item names, spell names, and now i'm on to the "help text" (i.e. feedback text) and then on to the battle text and then i'll start fiddling around with the same method of "copy/pasting" via romhacking the english-language dialog from the PC version. it's gonna be tricky cos the japanese text in the 3ds .ROM is fuuuucked up, super compressed super shit to work with and it's instantly obvious there is no way the english sentences will fit in the space they used. That's where "tools" would come in handy via being able to extract all the seperate container archives inside the game and work directly with the "script" files (they're usually a .BIN file).

It definitely has plenty of new stuff (i already ripped apart every file inside the 3ds rom) there's 250 new items which are all mostly the animal-type enemies' weapons (claws +1, tentacle pods, stuff like that; in E: Original that stuff was mostly for the party's Brawler, especially some swag dragon claws)-- While I approve 100% with bringing back their old way of speccing armor pieces in their wizardry empire games (low-def armor usually had bonuses and that bonus was usually increased THACO, i.e. the "to-hit" chance; it made choosing each character's armor pieces very fun and very tactical); I do think they kind of went off the deep end with the huge accuracy bonuses they gave to stuff, such as the +2 on the Obi sash, something which immediately trivializes the game's 1st dungeon as any half-assed party wearing Obi sashes will never miss and stuff. I'm not saying a game should be "punishing": i'm saying the game was already extremely well-balanced. It was EASILY starfish's most balanced RPG ever in every facet: itemization, enemy encounters and enemy design, dungeons and dungeon/maze creation and navigation; a Wizardry-inspired spell system that, because it is a straight copy, works PERFECTLY; almost perfectly balanced classes and races to the point where even after hundreds and hundreds of hours of playing E: Gothic on PC i am still marvelling at just how expertly the itemization and the balancing curves throughout the game were implemented. I've yet to play a game where races had such seemingly "small" differences yet managed to perpetually remain irrevocably important decisions for the player during char-gen: in a lesser game the fact that a Dragon-newt has 22 STR and a Dwarf has 20 STR would not matter whatsoever, but in E: Gothic not only do those 2 final points matter... but they also don't mean either one is better than the other. Anyhoo, having said all that having plenty of fun navigating the new dungeon floor maps. I'm hoping against hope they really went all out and put in some REALLY crazy new floors in the big, important dungeons, hehe. I hope

btw, what other awesome games does CITRA run well? i.e. games that are not whiz-bang 3D, basically like Elminage wihch is barely moving pictures.

EDIT: oh, and Dorarnae, what is the code that you can enter in the far-right menu screen on the World Map left-to-right "menu tabs" ?????

I know there is one of them that's for loading pictures or something for portraits, but the last option simply straight up asks you to enter a long ass password.

what is that about?

if you bought the soundtrack or some other stuff, there was some code for bonus items with gothic.

Elminage 3 also had a few codes you could enter (they're mostly available on their website and one is in the booklet of elminage original)

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Courtier

I just encountered the very first bona-fide all-new original content! There is an optional Devil boss that will trigger a fight w/ you if you visit Igdra Village and enter the Church while having in your Inventory either the Furious Cudgel or the Confusion Mace (both weapons are cursed and in all game versions are available for purchase upon game start); she straight-up takes your weapon(s) in a dialog and disappears (obviously she said some stuff, but it was in jap)--

in any case, while clearing out dezarpolia tunnel i assume her father just party-wiped me. I went and read on the japanese forum from the JP Wikia of these games and turns out Starfish made it so that beating this Devil boss unlocks the Devilish race in Town.

(In the PC and PSP version of hte game you can unlock Devilish race until mid-game and you do it by finding a very easy to miss fountain that you have to drink from; in earlier games Devilish were always available from the game start but Starfish decided to make them an optional bonus for players in E: Gothic because they wanted to proudly make a challenging, old-school 'crawler: because the Devilish class is fucking OP as fuck-all, so goes without saying they absolutely made the right choice for the PSP/PC versions of E: Gothic-- it is NICE that they moved the chancet o unlock Devilish race much earlier for this 3ds version but it only ends up contributing to the overriding common denominator at play: the game becomes extremely easy).

I legit wish I had played this game just a couple hundred hours less than I already have :(

I I don't think I'll get sick of Elminage ever, but, dear god, Starfish you better not fucking fold. I bought on gog Gothic! I helped! It was less than 8 dollars but by god I did it. Starfish fucking fuck don't fucking go out of business aaargh if i don't get a new elminage in my life i will be very sad.

I enjoy Starfish's specific brand of Wizardry gameplay in their 'crawlers so much that my main interest in attempting to translate a video game is specifically just in case Starfish's future 'crawlers don't get localized. No joke.

hehe. I enjoy other crawler too, but I agree that starfish crawler are the best, after demon gaze 2, I am going back to elminage original. I don't know how many time I finished those game. I just want another one *cry

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
amazing :)

btw, between elminage 2 and 3 on psp (i tried playing the remix edition of elmi-2 on NDS but the graphics are so bad and the 30 frames per second hurts my eyes and soul... yes, i just admitted to Graphics-Whoring over elminage)-- which one do you think is more "Wizardry like", i.e. between Elminage 2 and 3 on the PSP which of the two has better dungeons that you found memorable or fun to fight through, or on the flip dungeons which were just fucking old-school challenging and fun?

I ask because i've passed the mid-game point on elminage 2 on PSP (have 55 hours clocked so far) and am currently entering the Madorie Cemetery fields for the 1st time in order to do the Priest's quest (he blabs it to you super early in the game... which makes it very very lolol if you go to the Cemetery early)

those fucking ghost/undead/demon enemies are giving me flashbacks of when Wiz-Empire 2 said fuck dis shit and took off the training wheels when player rides castle elevator (kamikaze squad) down to 4th floor for first time: i.e. fucking onslaught of ubermensch demons who hit you with shit that is new at that point in the game.

elmi-2 also royally fucked me in the 3rd dungeon, the swamp called "The Wetlands", where as soon as you enter the fucking forest if you just head straight ahead like a dumbass you will immediately fall into a chute that drops you into a sub-level of the "forest" that is crawling with demons and mythic enemies that will obliterate you at the time the player usually goes to that area.

In fact, i had to for the first time ever, ever ever, i had to go and char-gen a whole new 2nd group of adventurers and had to raise them to (well the Mage really) to when Mage learned DIOMANTE specifically so I could warp in and rescue my original squad and warp the fuck out. (because once you fall the way back up is riddled with secret doors and uber-tough enemies).

again, i did NOT see this type of good, healthy challenge coming from elminage 2. it was like complete opposite experience of E: Original where i never once felt endangered while inside a dungeon except obviously the post-game.

(obviously, that is a GOOD feeling!)

i ddi not expect elminage 2 to be... quite so challenging. it's no Gothic, but it is much, much, much more difficult in every way (enemies, dungeons that fuck you over, etc) than E: Original, and that is why I like it over E: Original.

just want to know whether Starfish kept raising the difficulty w/ game 3 or if... not as I'm itching to begin that one for real soon (translating the usual stuff first before beginning play).

Dorarnae

Arbiter
hard to say. I think elminage 2 is harder than 3. though I know 3 quite a bit, so I know what to do ect(they also added the skill thing with 3 so it is easier...). what I like with 3 is the weather/time system. one map has water and the water rise or sink with time(except lower floor, it affect some other map or quest..), I also liked that they're not showing how many floor the dungeon has when you check the map and haven't explored yet, you have to explore the whole map...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
downloading right now. what you say about the elminage 3 dungeons sounds very fun. and yeah skills make it too easy, and the day/night system that has enemies preferring one over the other SEEMS like it will be fun as a player, like specifically going someplace at night to see if you can get encounters w/ enemies that don't appear at other times, stuff like that.

i figured it prolly wouldn't be as hard cos, like i said, elminage 2 really kind of goes for it with the lock-the-door-behind-you-bye-bye tricks inside dungeons right from the beginning!

the main reason elminage gothic seems soooo hard to the 3 previous games is actually very, very simple: it is because for e: Gothic starfish intentionally reduced ALL weapon accuracy modifiers (it is the ONLY elminage game where an item can have NEGATIVE bonus! haha) and they also reduced armor pieces' AC, for example in my post-game party in E: Original right now my Lord is wearing a -11 A.C. black demon armor.

that is just fucking wrong ! heh. i think the highest (lowest) A.C. an armor can even reach in Gothic is 8 points and that's only with using the MALE ONLY crystal armor. If not, get happy using a 7 AC one! or enchant it. and you get that armor at the very end.

compare E: Original, Elmi-2 (don't know yet if 3 as well)-- look at the accuracy bonus on the game's beginning weapon: the Longsword... in Original and in Elmi-2 the Longsword features '4' "accuaracy" (insane!) and it hits 1 time per swing (thank god).

in E: Gothic the Longsword has no bonus, it has '0' in the accuracy modifier. You don't even get weapons that have '1' or '2' points of accuracy bonus in E: Gothic all the way until you're clearing Dezarpolia Tunnels or if you know what you're doing, the first two you cang et are the palindroma sword (quest reward by "finding" the leprechaun in guatella grotto; and the KILLER spear u get by murdering a mermaid in the same cave).

before those 2 weapons there are NO OTHER WEAPONS that have +2 accuaracy modifier. and the ONLY weapon you will see with multiple attacks per swing in Gothic for a LOOOOOONG while is the Rusty Longsword (0 accuracy bonus, but hits 2 times per swing AND it can dmg ghosts; it is cursed of course). even the flamberge only does 1 atk per swing and it only has '1' accuracy point bonus. They REALLY wanted to drive it home that shit's gonna be hard.

that's a big part of why i love E: Gothic so much because of its linear design Starfish structured the player party's power progression perfectly to the point where after 250 hours of playing you are still juggling weapon and armor "stats" deciding what to use even in the penthouse suite of ibag's tower-- whereas in E: Original (and in Elminage 2) all weapons are crazy good, so the challenge mainly comes from enemies who are highger "level" than your party; not really more to it than that (or of course, if you're unprepared and get charmed to hell and back of course that is also "challenging" :)

to be fair, of course, it was their first elminage and it is still fucking great to play, goes without saying. the ONLY reason i may be interpreted as compaining is because starfish made the sequel so much better.

(that said, i have yet to play elminage: Ibun...)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier Haplo Dorarnae

https://youtu.be/SrXJuBYcxO0?t=5

shame it cut off at the 10 min mark; i eventually beat all of their collective asses and it was glorious; and it really proves how having party members fulfill always dual roles and upwards can be utilized to great effect.

there is a reason traditional Wizardry arranges some of the classes' XP progression tables so that the class's first 10 levels or so are acquired faster, much faster, than it will take for then to go from level 11 on to level 12... and in wiz/elminage terms this means basically start them in a caster-class, once they hit level 13th and get the final 7th-spell-level spells you better hop to it and class-change the fucker into a better class that (for maximum power-gaming) also at the same time ADDS a 2nd spell school onto the char you're grooming.

TL;DR i'm writing about how awesome i handled a completely average encounter with undeads while playing my home-mage english "menu patch" version of elminage 2

Courtier

Prophet
This exact same demon/bistola/crow dude combo is really common in Original and can be a slap to the face of players that can't quickly deal with enemies that summon allies

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dude, i am digging very much playing elminage 2-- (i.e. "playing = clearing every square of the areas/dungeons, finding ever better loot, increasing in level and so on and so forth; and of course beating challenging enemies: "playing" however does NOT mean "understanding the game's quests or why i'm flicking this switch and/or what is this guy saying? seems important! oh well!")

Starfish basically just took the fresh off the oven Elminage Original cookie tray and just... made it a double-portion serving and called it Elminage 2.

the story itself is literally the EXACT SAME SHIT: 6 objects, were stolen, king sends you (and other adventurers from across the land) to test mettle by retrieving the royal heirloom one that he has, which of course is in the hands of a tutorial-level mini-boss wizard.

then he gives you Ores, some money, and off you go all of the 15 area maps open for playing through them. The point of the game is the exact same one as in E: Original, i.e. you stumble through the game's many dungeons/areas and assoorted towns, making sure to talk to every NPC you come across because you relaized early that NPCs auto-give-you the game's Quests when you talk to them.

you do some quests (not even that many, in E: Original it's like 10 or so as a minimum for required amount of Fame); do them in any order doesn't matter; and it doesn't matter if it is not apparent whey exactly you're in a snow area fighting randomly spawning snow rabbits in order to get... snow eggs? ....honestly, who gives a shit? you do it, and you take them back to the town/NPC which gave u the quest and you raise your FAME points.

after around the 40-50 hour mark, like clockwork, you will decide it's time to finish up getting those 6 rings, er, sorry, i mean 6 mystical objetcs which keep the evil goddess Fiona at bay in elminage 2!

cue an un-fun montage of the player: entering areas and checking the fame copmass and following a dumb colored line over to where the object is and then picking it up and fighting a mini-boss. Yes, EXACTLY like in elminge: Original. hey if it's not broken!!!

finally, you get the 6 whatevers (oh, and incase you think not: yes buddy elmi-3 on psp is the same thing, to the letter); the 6 doohickies visit beginning town's castle mash button to scroll through the obviously effusive thanks spit at you in hot japanese characters and then, uh oh, seems like you have to go find.... 6 altars! omg!

no kidding man, exactly the same routine. and then you access a brand new version of the Old World (has another name, in elminage 2 the post-ame is a "dream world" and it looks PRETTY); and guess what?

know how I've mentioned multiple times how Elminage 2 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more challenging overall than E: Original (and i think than game 3 as well...)? it's bcause it's true as fuck. i've already mentioned the common-enough dungeons that LITERALLY will simply lock you in and close the wall/door/etc and leave you to fall down into a floor of guaranteed death full of devils or just out of nowhere introduce a new enemy that insta-kills party members, and then almost immediately make you fight them in groups.

no complains, btw, that's what i like about the game. So what if the game plays exactly the same as E: Original in terms of check-lists; the truth is that Starfish knows their fans play elminage for the series' unique blend of traditional Wiz-mechanics coupled w/ subtle and extremely well planned-out and thought-out "small additions" such as the elminage enchanting system, which seems almost like it came right out of a Wiz game, even though it didn't. E

NEMIS hit MUCH harder, ENEMIES come with vastly better armor class compared to Original; and spell "powah" was boosted for EVERYONE foes and party alike; and the itemization VASTLY improved over Original where you can easily reach dragon's fang while still having only found weapons in like, mauberry forest or whatever and then NOTHING better in-betwee: yeah, that's the hugest imrpovement they definitely spread the progression way better and for that reason the beggining of elmi-2 feels in the same camp of "possible challenge" as E: Gothic indeed.

they really have polished as much as humanly possible the wizardry blueprint, down to the nittry-gritty of stuff like having weapons cap at X amount of total hits, unless it's a 2 handed, but wait-- etc, etc.

in my opnion as a fan i think whatt happened was:

- Starfish had recently released the commercial dud that was Wiz-empire 3 on PSP (it is decent....)

- 1 year and change later they get (whatever was gotten) and begin making elminage series, starting with 'Original'.

- they play it "safe", as they did wiz empire 1 and 2, man, they know exactly how offputting for casuals x-treme dungeon floors will be... and they need Elminage to SELL.

- after it does enough that it got localized onto PSP into english, starfish knows they did it, they got a new series and they didn't have to compromise anything whatsoever and instead celebrate their history as Wizardry fans and devs by making elminage games.

- when elminage 2 is announced Starfish's head honcho thought the following, VERBATIM:

"ahhh sodanee...nani.... ah tzu this time I put ass-kicking in dungeons no way back haha make rescue party... ohhhhhh lao tzu says to also include the exact same "feel" from original as going toooo hard-core will tank sales!"

*years pass*

"okiiii.... otozaem sugoooy!!!!" (starfish's Father, veiled in shadow, hands them a copy of Elminage: Gothic and walks backwards and away).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
the rival party, btw, is a party of all "paladin-type" adventurers and they will always win unless you seriously grind like a mad man. it is no contest: the rival party is there for the SOLE purpose of motivating the elminage 2 player to grind like crazy to be l33t enough to go clear the rival party's mansion/dungeon and beat them at the end of it and get their weapons. sounds super awesome but they're harder to beat than end-game enemies (i do want to note i am NOT at end-game yet, going off the stats as per jp wiki, and being wiped by them repeatedly).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
abnaxus

i have only been trying to memorize kanji and reading material on hiragana/katakana for less than 2 months, and i am not a student... what i mean by this is that i'm not delibertately set out to trick anyone about anything, my man, i'm doing this because literally no one else wants to.

i would gladly welcome any and all advice you can give me in regards to better ways/methodologies/etc to go about learning how to read enough kanji to at least reach a level where i can read and immediately understand the RPG game's ridiculous dialog boxes.

it'd be awesome and i'd appreciate your help. I understand if you're too busy of course.

BTW, i've found sometimes a translator has to make a hard choice in order to just have time/energy/motivation to just finish the fucking thing(s) because obsessing over a perfect translation lies madness my friend. Let me know via PM if you want to take a look at some text files with NPC conversations i don't know how to translate / don't "get" i'd love your input.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Courtier

Finally figured out how the game parses "line breaks" during a dialog box:

NOTE: Gonna post a video of Elminage 2 soon with the intro all in english (and no text outside of the boxes). Anyone who simply wants to play Elminage 2 and 3 (PSP versions) with "everything-but-the-dialog-text" in english just let me know and I'll upload the .ISO's of both games to my Firedrop.

I have Elmi 2 and 3 w/:

- (Was going to make a long bullet point list but I'll just say that everything that is not a word spoken by a character to the player is in English, everything, and I actually also translated the Quest Log of elminage 2 as well so it does feel pretty authentic)

- (Of course, that is until you talk to someone, and then the spell is broken)

- (Hasn't stopped me from clocking well over 60 hours playing Elminage 2 and clearing/mapping out every dungeon and simultaenously accomplishing quests I didn't know I had while steamrolling enemies, heh).

EDIT: Btw, Dorarnae

I went and downloaded Elminage: Ibun... dear god. I'm not even gonna type anything about this thing. I'm simply going to film the game's beginning.

I have quite simply never played a worse game than Elminage: Ibun. Forget about Starfish knowing how to make games; E: Ibun is one of the most sickening abominations of horrible controls, graphics, sound, and player interactivity (lack thereof) I have ever played.

WOW. Ibun is... insanely bad. Video incoming!

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae Courtier Dorateen

Dude, I just had to play it for myself to believe it! Wow! I mean, seriously the people reading this right now will never, ever fully grasp just had bad Elminage: Ibun is and they will simply think we are over-exaggerating...

I dare you, people. I double-dog dare you.

BTW, Dorarnae, do you happen to know where I can get one of those "passwords" that you can input into Elminage 2, (3 as well, right?) and now in the "Remix" edition of Elminage: Gothic?

- To be clear: I'm asking if you know one off-hand, or know where I can get one at, or finally know how it is actually obtainable in-game: the serial-number like password that you can input in Elminage's 2, 3 and Gothic.

I *think* you can grab the password from the Book of the Future in Elminage 1 (PSP or DS) by defeating some Gods in the post-game Dungeon and then navigating a specific route towards the teleporter-altar inside The Old World which will then activate the same-looking altar back in the top floor of the Dragon's Fang; which will then trigger the password for the player when you go inspect the Dragon's Fang altar.

I read on the japanese wiki(s) that you can enter the password in Elminage 2 PSP or in the DS "Remix" edition; but I don't know what doing this does really. The japanese wiki mentions that there is a "Secret Author's Note", which I don't know if it is the same thing as the password for the Book of the Future, which instantly doubles the game difficulty and doubles the drop rate. Two different items/things?

- Now, I know you can get the password for the Book of the Future in the PSP/PC versions of Elminage: Gothic by first completing the Creepy Mansion side-quest (not the broken doll one) and learning to read the "books"; then later on inside Cyclonus humble abode in the 5th floor you can complete the last part of that mini-quest and, I *assume*, that is where/when you unlock Elminage: Gothic's password for the Book of the Future.

Now, the password is to be used only on the 3DS "Remix" version of the game as this is how Starfish planned things out, AFAIK.

ANYWAY, what's the damn password?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

Thank you thank you :)

Courtier

So I've been adding a ton of little, "moments in time"; having fun transcribing the PC version E: Gothic dialog over to the 3DS version. I had a surprise earlier: I stumbled upon 100% new dialog! Video is of E: Gothic's 3DS "Remix" version running on CITRA and lasts for 4 minutes: during that time you'll see me talk with the Training Hall Chief Officer and also talk with some of the new NPCs added to his Training Center (they're there mostly for flavor/and to give newbies advice about how to play the game):

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
On my way to translating all of the "Event Text", i.e. all of the glorious text that tells you exactly what is going in the Elminage game's story and also informs the player about the quest(s) itself that they might be reading at that very moment and whether or not it is something that interests them in doing: after all, the main way to play Elminage 1, 2 and 3 is to "play the game" by "completing quests" which are almost always completed via "clearing out and mapping out most of the squares in a given Dungeon and interacting with most suspicious looking rooms"...

Before now what had stopped me is simply that I didn't understand how to properly line-break the text in those Event Logs, and it was a universal issue on all Elminage games including 2 and 3 on PSP ver. and also exactly the same "text outside the box" issues when trying to work on the elminage 2 Nintendo DS ver. and, of course, most recently ran into the text issue again when copy/pasting the Quest Log text diaries from E: Gothic's PC ver. over to the 3DS game version and ending up with the same tired shit.

Well, finally found out through trial and error how .CVS files that are encoded in an Asian language and that utlize delimiters, and also full-stop with a simple comma (,); but I now I know exactly how line-breaking and all that shit is handled so I can go ahead and translate the Elminage 2 and 3 quest logs, which will go a long way towards making the games playable!

Example of me testing my boundaries:
Screenshot%202016-11-02%2003.17.42_zpshlap5ayd.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Man, I remember these days... when I still was deluded enough to think doing this shit was even remotely feasible. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom