Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pay what you want...

You encounter a 'pay what you want' title that interests you. You...

• Download for free and never pay.

Votes: 12 25.5%
  • Pay what you feel is appropriate and download.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Download for free and return to pay if you like it.

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • I would never even look at a 'pay what you want game'.

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Was the rain ever toned down? Was pretty freaking annoying in the demo.

Zep--

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I think the #1 business policy for such niche games is to advertise it as much as you can in appropriate forums. If you do a good job initially and the game is good, then these people will do the job for you after a while.

If what you want mainly is the most people to play your game, then put it on as "pay what you want".

If you actually want people to buy your game, I'd say for such an indie, niche title the price should never go more than 10$ (the price LurkII has at the moment).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
People who pirate games regularly were never going to give you money anyway, if you find someway to prevent them from accessing something they don't make a purchase, they just get something else.

I dunno about that. I bought the original Mount and Blade after playing the hell out of it torrenting it. I was simply so impressed by how decently solid it was (and how good natured the trial was effectively giving you the game but putting a ceiling on how high you could level) I felt bad not throwing them some money.

A few other games have stood out like that for me as well, though most escape my mind atm. Rimworld started out that way too IIRC, and while I haven;t played it in years I'm happy to have paid Tyne for what he made.

True, but I think that's a relative minority compared to many who simply cannot afford to pay, but want to play video games regardless. Piracy is their default by necessity rather than choice.

Codex Year of the Donut
People who pirate games regularly were never going to give you money anyway, if you find someway to prevent them from accessing something they don't make a purchase, they just get something else.

I dunno about that. I bought the original Mount and Blade after playing the hell out of it torrenting it. I was simply so impressed by how decently solid it was (and how good natured the trial was effectively giving you the game but putting a ceiling on how high you could level) I felt bad not throwing them some money.

A few other games have stood out like that for me as well, though most escape my mind atm. Rimworld started out that way too IIRC, and while I haven;t played it in years I'm happy to have paid Tyne for what he made.

True, but I think that's a relative minority compared to many who simply cannot afford to pay, but want to play video games regardless. Piracy is their default by necessity rather than choice.
These are the people who will often buy it on sale when they can, though.

oklabsoft

oklabsoft
Developer
Was the rain ever toned down? Was pretty freaking annoying in the demo.

Zep--
Zep- you need to embrace the rain. It is cleansing. It makes the plants grow. You can't live more than a few days without water. I didn't tone it down. I upped it. It rains every freakin' day. All the time. Everything floods... It's global warming really. It's a side quest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom