Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Discussion in 'Tactical Gaming' started by Infinitron, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Thal Arbiter

Thal
    I also wish to add that simulation of bullet trajectory coupled with free aiming is a real game changer that solves the problem with probabilistic combat resolution described by Sid Meier. I'm talking about rage inducing miss when you had 90% THC. Since PP lets you aim, you feel more responsible for the shot, especially if you aimed for a specific body part. So if your Sniper misses, you are less likely to curse the RNG gods and more likely to question whether you should have done something differently.

Secondly, free aim solves the problem that plagued Chaos Gate. Since maps were bigger and more detailed than in UFO, it was hard to determine whether you could hit anything over long distances and where you should walk your guy to get line of sight. Free aim tells exactly where the bullet will go, so you can make a reasonable gamble to shoot a body part through a hole in the wall and the visual aid will tell you where to move your guy. Moreover, taking out a body part, such as launcher arm can be a major success. There are still some bugs here, and sometimes the visual aid doesn't work properly, but that doesn't diminish the impact of the idea. This is also an area where multiple design choices compound into great gameplay. Free aim, destructible environment, body part damage, mutating enemies, variety of weapons and soldier builds, all work in sync.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 3
    • Merry Christmas! x 2
    • Yes x 2
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Is there an actual economy with ammunition? Is the management true gameplay or just busywork? Are there interesting decisions to be made? If it's just a button I have to push to make sure my guys tie their shoes, and if I forget it just sucks, it doesn't sound like it adds anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    And what if the soldier doesn't have enough strength to carry extra clips? Also i'm not sure the game will pick a full clip instead of half empty one if i reload during the mission.

The rage inducing 90% misses still happen in this game. I even had misses where the both aiming circles were totally filled with enemy body, not sure if its a bug or just invisible hitboxes. Also the visual aid only tells you that chance to hit is greater than zero from given position, if aiming circle is half-filled with a wall might as well not bother shooting.

Pretty much this. The only ammo types with significant cost are missiles and grenades for grenade launchers, and you also cant manufacture ammo for weapons you haven't researched yet. But for 99% of the cases its just "click that button or get fucked".

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Puteo Learned

Puteo
    Or your aiming circle was covering a more heavily armored bodypart/bodypart that doesn't cause HP damage and that's what got hit. The damage predictions are only for if every shot hits the body part under the reticule. I've seen a lot of dumb youtubers make that mistake.

It's there because ammo costs resources, which is good. The choice is so you can choose to instead start constructing a new research facility instead of reloading a single bullet if you are low on funds.

Especially important considering trade requires travel.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    So get more strength. Also being encumbered slightly does not seem to give a big penalty, just a bit of speed penalty.

^ Top  
  6. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    Did you not get anyone to max level yet? The Lv 7 perks get pretty ridiculous, like being able to use the killstreak power to kill 10+ pandas a turn or blowing up a queen in a turn with the "empty your magazine" power (the queen is the only enemy you have to kill in the 3rd tier alien base and that mission is a large arena where it charges at you head on) or the psychic scream that hit enemies through walls, or the one that adds 20 armor to everyone, which isn't much but given there's 0 armor progression it pretty much doubles everyone's armor.
    You have to rely on these as the game goes on since gear offers only minor improvements,.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    No better weapons and armor? What are we playing? Couldn't they change colors of armor when they din't have time to create new models?

^ Top  
  8. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    So i should save me one or two clicks in exchange for a debuff to soldiers stats? Yeah right, sounds like a great idea (not).

^ Top  
  9. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    it is true you can actually miss point blank in this game using free aim, the "rage inducing" 90% chance to hit misses (which should not be that rage inducing, it means 10% chance to miss, not 0%), still happen, but perhaps less often, or perhaps because people don't see the actual chance to hit chance numbers they don't rage like they do in xcom or something. Not sure, but somehow they have created a system that seems to still include misses (even at point blank ranges) that does not enrage the morons. They have pulled a time cain "shapes" trick on them it appears.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Zombra An iron rock in the river of blood and evil Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Personally - and I realize this is an unpopular opinion - I love RPGs where improving character abilities is more important than sweet new gear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Alpharius Educated

Alpharius
    Lul, saw a video of a dude killing all enemies on a map in one turn using an assault armed with armor-piercing shotgun. Each kill gives +2 move points (special ability) + regular +2 will points per kill and dash gives free move of up to 2 move points that costs 4 will, that fancy shotgun oneshots enemies with 40 armor at point-blank range for 2 move points (though regular shotgun would do the same against unarmored body-parts).
    Also apparently a few high level anu priest-assaults can do the same using their 10 tile radius AoE 100 damage armor piercing attack.

So pretty much like a stronger version of nuxcom 2 lategame superheroes against significantly weaker enemies.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. dawcio Learned

dawcio
    Is this any better than X-COM APOCALYPSE?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Spockrock Augur

Spockrock
    no, I don't think any TB game is

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. toro Arcane

toro
    My impression after watching some streams is that the game is a slog. The amount of trash encounters which don't require any strategic thinking is overwhelming.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Swigen Savant

Swigen
    I’m gonna wait on this gaem ‘cause I haven’t even played Xenonauts or Silent Storm yet. Thas right, I get the game a year later when it’s ready AND I impress codex vets.

:kfc:

• Merry Christmas! x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    I heard something about the game not being able to implement friendly soldiers but one of the late game missions has fsome, not sure why they don't show up in the haven defenses.

^ Top  
  17. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    I have not played xenonauts yet either...anyone have opinions on it? Worth it? I own it. Also never played Silent storm because when I owned it my computer could not play it because the specs were too hard for it or something. Scrolling across the map slowed the entire computer down to a crawl and would eventually freeze. Don't even think I could scroll one time across the map at the time.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. orcinator Savant

orcinator
    It improves some things but makes some things worse, Vanilla is not worth it when Openxcom exists.
    Might be good modded but I have no idea if the big mods are any good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    My view has been that xenonauts 2 is in the works and looks better than 1 to me from a quick glance and so to just wait for that. But if Xeno 1 were really good I might give it a try, or if xeno 2 were going to take forever...

^ Top  
  20. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    The consensus is to play with the Community Edition mod.
    There is a popular XDivision mod, but it changes a lot of stuff.

^ Top  
  21. Van-d-all Arbiter

Van-d-all
    Community Edition is a must at this point. Plus bonus tilesets like Tundra or Jungle.

XDivision on the other hand I wouldn't recommend. It's a bloat mod. Adds stuff for the sake of adding it, and without much rhyme or reason. It adds xenomorphs from Alien movies FFS...

• Agree x 2
    • Thanks! x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Puteo Learned

Puteo
    Xenonauts is ok, but it's almost a complete x-com clone. It has some nice innovations like being able to move units simultaneously and adding a decent cover system that's not full retard like nuXCOM. It's worth trying.

Silent Storm is excellent. There is a balance problem just over halfway into the game but it is well worth playing at least until that point.

On the other hand, Silent Storm: Sentinels fixes all the problems with SS and is imo easily the pinnacle of the genre.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    sweet, sounds good. So mod the panzerkleins out? Does sentinels have panzerkleins?

^ Top  
  24. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    SSS doesn't fix the Panzerklein problem!
    I don't have anything against them theme wise, but they are awful to use with the UI and the maps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Pretty nuanced criticism. Discussion starts at 08:04

• Informative Informative x 5
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)