Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Released

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    Sure. Don't buy their games. Money talks, bullshit walks.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Bohrain Learned

Bohrain
    Finished my first playthrough a couple of days ago. Overall it's a lot better than the first Pillars, but if you haven't bought it yet, I'd wait for more patches.
    Writing has a lot less loredumping compared to the first game and the main plot is shorter, but more reactive. The game has a lot more of those little CYOA sequences compared to PoE which I can appreciate. Voice acting and direction is pretty good, though I personally can't stand Italian accents, which you'll be hearing a lot since that's how the Vailians talk.
    Companions are pretty hit and miss. On one hand the way they are written is improved since they feel less like wikipedia articles of their respective background organizations and more like persons, but on the other hand the romancing shite has made them more obnoxious. Xoti in particular feels otherwise like a good character, but her having a crush on everything that moves makes me wish that there was an option to turn off that interaction. As a more minor complaint all the companions essentially favor the MC to be peaceful and benevolent, which feels a tad restricting if you want to play a Bleak Walker paladin or other kind of asshole.
    I don't think the game feels particularly SJW-ish aside from the companion interactions, Tyranny felt like a worse offender with essentially every female officer acting like a tough asshole as if to make a point that women can be tough assholes too. I never noticed the shopkeeper being a tranny thing in my playthrough and the encounter with Aloth's old friend doesn't imply he is a homo himself, just that it's awkward to encounter your old mate working in a whorehouse. In the pirate thing you can choose to ally either with the old man pirate and the young woman.
    By far the biggest problem in the game currently is that it's just way too easy. I don't consider myself particularly good with systems, since I felt I had enough challenge in PoE on normal, but I had maybe 3 actually challenging encounters in this game on hard. Moreso than bugfixing, I'd wait for Sawyer to tune up the encounters.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Learned

Curratum
    I've never read and heard so many controversial opinions from both online folks and real-life friends as I have with POE2. I guess by the time I finish the last chapter of POE1 and then do the expansions, this will be just about polished enough to import my save and play... :|

^ Top  
  4. Volrath Arcane Patron

Volrath
    So in essence, it's better than shit, but still kind of shitty.

What's the point?

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. *-*/\--/\~ Savant

*-*/\--/\~
    The point is you should not give them money, as the game is shit, only serving as a backdrop for their ridiculous sociopolitical agenda.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Honestly playing Vermintide recently made me realize how classic fantasy writing should be. All characters feel stereotypical yet fresh and believable unlike Pillars where everybody sounds like a fucking modern person.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    From what people were saying after that stream, he's off Pillars 2 after the first couple of patches

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taviow Liturgist

taviow
    He did put a lot of work into it. Sounds reasonable that he'd take a break to work on something else.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    But everybody in Tyranny acts like a tough asshole, except Lantry and he's being crucified when you meet him because nice guys finish last. The game takes place in a war zone. You're a high level officer in service to the evil overlord; if you're having many interactions with women who stay home and bake cookies then you probably aren't doing your job. I hear what you're saying, but I don't know if I'd call making half the soldiers in Tyranny women an example of agenda-pushing. I think it's more like wish fulfillment for the game's female narrative designers.

It sound like Deadfire's first patch is coming before the weekend. I'm 18 hours in and would definitely recommend it after the patch hits.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    The only female writer on Tyranny was Brainlet Starks. Matt MacLean and Paul Kirsch definitely have a fetish for strong women, they both look the type. As for Robert Land, he's flaming.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Barbarian Arcane

Barbarian
    So in the end the term "Fagsidian" became reality instead of just a jab.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Latro Arcane

Latro
    brainlet? that is a great name

oh, you mean megan

^ Top  
  13. Kyl Von Kull Arcane Patron

Kyl Von Kull
    I must have been thinking of Megan and the stable of foxy female writers on Deadfire (am I the only one who’s drawn to danger-hair?). That said, I stand by my position. Tyranny may have been made by classic west coast liberals, but any game that lets you play as an unironic fascist without any kind of karma penalty is surely making itself open to a wide range views.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    I doubt one patch can fix all the issues. Better to wait a few months and for some mods to fix the game. Maybe mod community for PoE2 will be larger than for PoE1 (I still don't know if IE mod works for latest version of PoE).

^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    He also said that he's personally committed to tuning the encounters.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. lophiaspis Savant

lophiaspis
    Also, Plato's the Republic has gender-equal access to State positions. Hard to get more fascist than that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    I also disregarded the stronk female shit in Tyranny precisely because of that, they are all psychos or just wish fulfilment tough assholes precisely what they would be in a Platos Republic utopia where its actually fine for the State to kidnap children away from their parents. True equality.

Fuck Socrates, we need more Aquinas.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ikarinokami Educated

ikarinokami
    strength influencing magic damage is a bridge too far for me.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    To be fair though, real-life female military commanders are tough assholes. A woman doesn't climb military ranks by being feminine.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Xzylvador Savant Patron

Xzylvador
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Finished a playthrough...
    The game is much, much better than PoE, I'll give it that. Still too much infodumping but it's less forced than the first one and the backer NPC's are gone (Except for some skill trainers, but they're rare and unimportant enough to safely ignore.)
    Combat's too easy (played on hard) so if I do another playthrough I'll try multiclassing, supposedly that's harder... *shrug*
    I did miss 'epic' fights... There's not a single fight that made me go 'wow, awesome' or which forced me to (re)think my tactics; which is kind of a downer in a game where the main antagonist is deity inhabiting a living statue about as tall as a mountain.
    They went completely overboard with the SJW stuff.

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't have to be "just as bad."

Being bad is bad enough.

Virtue isn't really comparative or relative in nature. You're either doing the right thing with the right intention and the right mindset or you aren't.

Which particular flavor or degree of "not" doesn't really matter.

• Hoo Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)