Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: The Outer Worlds and Fallout: New Vegas

Which one of these describes your opinion most closely?

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Many people on on the Codex think that Fallout: New Vegas is a great RPG, maybe even one of the best ones of all time. But others have never gotten the hype, think it's Gamebryo action-RPG garbage, etc.

The Outer Worlds is explicitly aiming to be a Fallout: New Vegas clone. The purpose of this poll is to check whether the ranks of The Outer Worlds skeptics on this forum are disproportionately made up of New Vegas non-fans who don't see why anyone would want another game like that.

P.S. If possible, try to answer the poll without taking into account "external factors" such as the fact that The Outer Worlds is not launching on Steam. Just what you think of what you've seen of the game itself.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Good poll idea, but I'm disappointed that the votes aren't public.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
For games where you're supposed to fight with guns, both lack any kind of basic gunplay mechanics that you can find in games like Far Cry.

Fanboys love to retard-rate when I say this. They think gunplay is unnecessary in an RPG, it's like the dumber the gunplay gets the happier they will be. They're like asexual people that hate on big titties in video games. If they can't enjoy it, they don't want anyone else to. But then they go out of their way to install mods that improve melee combat in Skyrim that suffers from exactly the same problem. They're phonies, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

Daily reminder, fanboys. FNV is absolute shit.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
How do you fanboys defend that in FNV you gotta hack not through a skill check, but through an annoying mini game? RPG much? Yeah right.

4befb54b334346d23fca53ebe1a5065b.png

Fact: Deus Ex Human Revolution is more fun to play than FNV. You can hide in various ways, distract enemies, have average gunplay, can hack PCs in a more fun way (also a mini game, which is DECLINE, but it's more fun), and can travel through air vents. And I don't even like that game.

Wunderbar

Arcane
For games where you're supposed to fight with guns, both lack any kind of basic gunplay mechanics that you can find in games like Far Cry.

Fanboys love to retard-rate when I say this. They think gunplay is unnecessary in an RPG, it's like the dumber the gunplay gets the happier they will be. They're like asexual people that hate on big titties in video games. If they can't enjoy it, they don't want anyone else to. But then they go out of their way to install mods that improve melee combat in Skyrim that suffers from exactly the same problem. They're phonies, they know exactly what I'm talking about.

Daily reminder, fanboys. FNV is absolute shit.
New Vegas is good
Like how? In what possible way? It's not an RPG, it's an action RPG, it must be judged in the context of its own genre.

Play MGS5:TPP or Dark Souls 2, you'll learn what a good action RPG looks like.
shooting isn't as good as Far Cry or MGS5 and because of that the game is absolute irredeemable piece of fucking shit! bla bla

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
It's an:
1) Action
and
2) RPG

Fifty-fifty. If fifty percent of a game is absolute shit, what do you want me to rate it? If you score less than 50% on your exams, did you pass?

Sentinel

Arcane
I like FNV and think Dead Money is 10/10. I'm not interested in the Outer Worlds because it looks like FNV, a nearly 10 year old game. Animations are poor all around, characters are fugly, combat looks like the same shit (which wasn't strong in FNV to begin with), none of the writers are capable of producing anything good, which was one of the FNV's strongest points (as evident by their past 3 games), and the game just looks boring all around. "Been there, done that" tier.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
How do you fanboys defend that in FNV you gotta hack not through a skill check, but through an annoying mini game? RPG much? Yeah right.

There is a skill check and it affects the difficulty of the minigame. As Sawyer put it

There was no intentional downscaling of the importance of hacking, but we did intentionally avoid doubling up locks with an optional hacking unlock. That was much more common in F3.

That said, in my experience talking to both players and developers, I'd estimate that roughly 80-90% of the people who played F3 or F:NV do not fully understand how the hacking minigame works. I observed the following things regularly:

* People did not understand that the number of correct letters meant letters IN THE CORRECT POSITION OF THE WORD.
* People did not understand that higher Science = fewer words to choose from given a terminal of "Hard" or easier difficulty. I.e., it is valuable to raise your Science before hacking even if you already meet the minimum requirement.
* People had no idea that you could do special character searches in the "garbage" characters to remove duds/replenish guesses.

When people knew these things, they seemed to enjoy the hacking minigame much more, for obvious reasons.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
There is a skill check and it affects the difficulty of the minigame.
I know, but it's absolutely beyond the point.
You have to play a stupid mini-game to do something that a simple skillcheck should do. See VTMB on how to do it properly.
And on top of it, you often had to save scum the hacking. So bad.

And no, I do not accept that understanding the minigame makes it enjoyable. Sawyer is either lying to himself, or to everyone else.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I mean is there anyone here who likes Oblivion's persuasion minigame, Skyrim's lockpick minigame, FNV's hacking minigame?

There was a trend to go away from RPG tabletop systems as far as possible, i.e. do away with anything that's textual and doesn't have a visual representation. Skillcheck is textual, so that's "BAD", so let's gamify this shit. And for an RPG-oriented studio to mindlessly copy it should be offensive to RPG fans.

And is there anyone here who likes the results?

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
New Vegas was passable. TOW looks like it might become passable in a similiar sense depending on how the gameplay feels (don’t care so much about writing quality here, narrative design as advertised seems solid and it compensates), but so far it oozes a colourful miasma of ”kinda boring”.

I need a meh option for both.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Bester might just be a rare "Fallout: New Vegas meh, The Outer Worlds good" voter. No minigames in TOW. :P

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
New Vegas was mainly hampered by the shit-ass Gamebryo engine, it remains to be seen what they can do with their own. Looking at their track record though, probably not much.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
New Vegas was mainly hampered by the shit-ass Gamebryo engine, it remains to be seen what they can do with their own.
I hear this opinion often. What's it based on?

But they had the source code and dedicated support from Bethesda. They could code anything they wanted. If modders can improve the game even without the sources, it's a disgrace that Obsidian with full source code couldn't.

Any inadequacies are their own shortcomings, and you can see it in the TOW trailers. Same bad combat all over again.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
New Vegas was mainly hampered by the shit-ass Gamebryo engine, it remains to be seen what they can do with their own.
I hear this opinion often. What's it based on?

But they had the source code and dedicated support from Bethesda. They could code anything they wanted.

Any inadequacies are their own shortcomings, and you can see it in the TOW trailers. Same bad combat all over again.

Bethesda themselves seem to barely understand Gamebryo, so...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom