Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Polygon's top 500 games of all time, featuring classics like Gone Home!

Deflowerer

Arcane
To be honest, it's useless to get outraged over the ordering of such generalized lists. What are full-blown retarded though are the actual commentaries for each game. Utterly vapid summaries with generic adjectives sprinkled here and there.

I mean they went on a sissy fit about how game journalists' job is not to be good at games, but write well. And yet can't even write coherent sentences:

"It wasn't even close to being the first survival horror game, but Resident Evil defined the genre after its 1996 release. Utilizing fixed cameras to give the game a cinematic look, while under-distributing ammo and save spots, Resident Evil created a sense of tension unseen before players walked through its numerous winding halls and traps."

What the fuck is this clusterfuck?

"Vice City took the drab, gray buildings from Grand Theft Auto 3 and replaced them with sun-soaked beaches and flashy muscle cars. Its wide cast of wild characters, exciting open world and amazing soundtrack made Vice City one of the best entries in a series full of some of the best game of all time."

full of some of the best game of all time...

I can't even.

There's so many of such examples there. At some point I thought I was reading a machine translation. Rather accurate machine translation, but machine translation nevertheless.

"Max Payne is Finlandian love letter"

Or strange shit like

"Ico is the Occam's Razor of video games."

"Fatal Frame 2 takes one of survival horror's only lines of defense and replaces it with an old camera. Widely considered one of the scariest games of all time, Crimson Butterfly's excellent use of atmosphere, jump scares and the inability to fight back made it, according to Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann, "the scariest kind of experience in any medium.""

Um, you can fight back, you retarded dipshit. He is actually contradicting himself in the second sentence. I bet the only reason the writer even knows anything about the game is because he saw the Neil Druckmann presentation :D.

Similar to The Dark Project, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords presented players with a moral grayness, allowing them to choose whether to play on the light or dark side. The Sith Lords was noted for its tight story, as well as presenting a wholly new Star Wars story influenced by the actions of the player.

I like how this can literally apply to KOTOR1 as well. And lmao at moral grayness manifesting itself in having the choice between the light and dark side.

"While certainly not the first tactical strategy game, X-COM: UFO Defensehelped refine the genre with turn-based alien space combat. Spawning uncountable imitators, UFO Defense pit players against aliens as they each did their best to take down difficult foes."

I mean WHAT THE FUCK??!?!?!

Quality journalism, mates.

Last edited:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
To be honest, it's useless to get outraged over the ordering of such generalized lists. What are full-blown retarded though are the actual commentaries for each game. Utterly vapid summaries with generic adjectives sprinkled here and there.

I mean they went on a sissy fit about how game journalists' job is not to be good at games, but write well. And yet can't even write coherent sentences:

"It wasn't even close to being the first survival horror game, but Resident Evil defined the genre after its 1996 release. Utilizing fixed cameras to give the game a cinematic look, while under-distributing ammo and save spots, Resident Evil created a sense of tension unseen before players walked through its numerous winding halls and traps."

What the fuck is this clusterfuck?

"Vice City took the drab, gray buildings from Grand Theft Auto 3 and replaced them with sun-soaked beaches and flashy muscle cars. Its wide cast of wild characters, exciting open world and amazing soundtrack made Vice City one of the best entries in a series full of some of the best game of all time."

full of some of the best game of all time...

I can't even.

There's so many of such examples there. At some point I thought I was reading a machine translation. Rather accurate machine translation, but machine translation nevertheless.

"Max Payne is Finlandian love letter"

Or strange shit like

"Ico is the Occam's Razor of video games."

"Fatal Frame 2 takes one of survival horror's only lines of defense and replaces it with an old camera. Widely considered one of the scariest games of all time, Crimson Butterfly's excellent use of atmosphere, jump scares and the inability to fight back made it, according to Naughty Dog's Neil Druckmann, "the scariest kind of experience in any medium.""

Um, you can fight back, you retarded dipshit. He is actually contradicting himself in the second sentence. I bet the only reason the writer even knows anything about the game is because he saw the Neil Druckmann presentation :D.

Similar to The Dark Project, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords presented players with a moral grayness, allowing them to choose whether to play on the light or dark side. The Sith Lords was noted for its tight story, as well as presenting a wholly new Star Wars story influenced by the actions of the player.

I like how this can literally apply to KOTOR1 as well. And lmao at moral grayness manifesting itself in having the choice between the light and dark side.

"While certainly not the first tactical strategy game, X-COM: UFO Defensehelped refine the genre with turn-based alien space combat. Spawning uncountable imitators, UFO Defense pit players against aliens as they each did their best to take down difficult foes."

I mean WHAT THE FUCK??!?!?!

Quality journalism, mates.
Kinda lost you at the first few words

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Polygon know how reviled they are, and we know they have no fucking integrity, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of these were positioned specifically to fuck with people. But yeah, shitty list, as expected.

Shin

Cipher
It might've been interesting to see a top 500 list where each recommendation was done by some hardcore fan. Someone who knows all ins and outs of said game and has thought at length what makes it stand out (mechanically) and how it compares to other games (so the context/historical impact part).
A bit like how some other top list was compiled, but for a broader spectrum of genres.

But why do all that work if you can just slap together a list of seemingly random games and insert some inane nonsense by someone who hasn't obviously even played some/a lot of these games. SAD

Ash

Arcane
Codex's top 100 list voter pool was full of bias by a bunch of storyfags and hivemind mentality. Still way better than these game journo lists though, ofc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom